Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM
herbiehancock00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe

That's it. I had decided that I'm just gonna trade in my 2 month old sedan for a coupe. Please let me know if I'm just being extremely impulsive.

I came from driving a regular Mazda to the G37 sedan. When I was car shopping I had my mind on a nice looking and quick sedan. I'm 25 and thought that I wanted something on the classier side so I looked at a 328i and G37 sedan. Ended up getting a blue slate G37 sedan, non-sport. I had never had a powerful car before so I completely fell in love with the performance of the G37. I find myself eventually driving it harder after the break-in period and started to enjoy the sportiness of it even more.

Before the purchase I had wanted something more practical and classy, but now I am leaning more towards the performance side of the vehicle. Whenever I walk outside and see my sedan, it just doesn't have the sporty look that I now want. I spend alot of time researching on new rims, tires, brakes, suspensions, body parts, etc. Then I drove side by side next to a black coupe today and it got me thinking that maybe I should just trade my sedan in for a coupe. If I'm going to be spending an extra 4k on making my sedan look sportier, I might as well just get a coupe. I get the 19" oem rims that I LOVE, the sportier suspension, bigger brakes, much sexier exterior, and another big plus would be the 6mt instead of 7at currently on my sedan.

I don't know how much extra I will have to fork out trading in a now depreciated car for a more expensive coupe. I feel silly for feeling this big buyers remorse. Quite honestly I had no idea what I wanted when I walked into the dealerships as I was never much of a car enthusiast until I started driving this car and now I'm hooked. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 AM
MattsG37

Do it! I never liked the look of the sedan, the G sedan Sport is okay, but other then that it I am not a fan. I prefer the look of the Altima to that of a G Sedan. Coupe all the way. Do it and don't look back. I know all about being impulsive, that is how I bought my G and every other car. I wake up one day with an idea to buy a new car, and I drive it home that evening, haven't regretted any decision I have made so far.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 AM
MMC Racing

The ultimate cost will also depend on the state you live in. Does your state subtract the trade in cost from the new car cost when calculating sales tax?

Also, do you have a carmax in your area? If so, get a 7 day appraisal letter from them to see where you stand. This is great to negotiate at the dealer with.

I have a feeling that the gap is going to be more than $4000 to trade up.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know how you feel. I bought my G35 Sedan when I was 26 (32 now). Had just gotten a promotion at work and wanted to "look" the part. I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of the Sedan for the coupe (after just a year). But I stuck it out and waited for the 37 to arrive before I jumped on it.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM
herbiehancock00

Originally Posted by MattsG37
I know all about being impulsive, that is how I bought my G and every other car. I wake up one day with an idea to buy a new car, and I drive it home that evening, haven't regretted any decision I have made so far.
Wow you must be ballin hard.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
MattsG37

Originally Posted by herbiehancock00
Wow you must be ballin hard.
Not really, Im 26 no wife, no kids.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to make sure this is what you want. Who knows, you could be buying the coupe and then realizing that it's cramped and you can't fit much in there and then want to switch back to the sedan. If you're sure the performance aspect is what's bothering you (well it seems you want it more for the looks, since performance difference is negligible), then I'd say sure go for it. But remember you're going to have to live with this decision...unless you don't mind forking out more money again to switch.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 PM
herbiehancock00

Originally Posted by MattsG37
Not really, Im 26 no wife, no kids.
Sounds like me.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM
herbiehancock00

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
You might want to make sure this is what you want. Who knows, you could be buying the coupe and then realizing that it's cramped and you can't fit much in there and then want to switch back to the sedan. If you're sure the performance aspect is what's bothering you (well it seems you want it more for the looks, since performance difference is negligible), then I'd say sure go for it. But remember you're going to have to live with this decision...unless you don't mind forking out more money again to switch.
I'll probably request for an overnight test drive to make sure.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I understand what you may be going through.. but have you looked at modded sedans? I sometimes wish i picked up a sedan instead. With an aggressive drop, wheels, and a few minor exterior tweaks, the car looks insanely good.

Either way, goodluck on your decision!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:27 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

do it..... infiniti = coupe all the way.. if I were to get a sedan i'd prob go with bmw all the way, just looks better to me..

the infiniti sedan just screams soccer mom and doesn't make head turns :P
Old 07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Retromoe

Originally Posted by kkokko
do it..... infiniti = coupe all the way.. if I were to get a sedan i'd prob go with bmw all the way, just looks better to me..

the infiniti sedan just screams soccer mom and doesn't make head turns :P
all bmw's look the same, i know some may have different faces but not much of a huge difference, 335i could pass for an M3 if you lack knowledge of cars.

go with the coupe dude, you wont regret it!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
g37mobbin

good luck either way you face tough competition if you intend to compete with people on these boards.....why not be unique instead of following the trend?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Keng

Horrible financial decision!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Just mod your sedan,if its still not fast enough, you could always get some nos going. I know someone wiith a modded sedan with nos, 120 wet shot.car is fast as you could poddibly need.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe