Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Conversion For Canadians

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
jasbains.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard Conversion For Canadians

Hey, I was looking into purchasing a G37S Coupe real soon and wanted to know if it would be possible to convert the Amercian dashboard (speedometer and all...) into the Canadian one? I contacted my local dealer and they haven't gotten back yet but I just wanted to find out if anyone on the forum has done it before or if you guys think it would be possible to do. Thanks !
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Why? I can see the KPH clearly on my panel and everything else is the same. When the talk is full its FULL... Seems like a big expense and trouble for nothing.
Everything else converts, check the manual out. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
sculhane

I inquired to the dealer at the time (2008) and it was 500$. Decided not to do it and kept the MPH speedometer/odometer. Everything else can be changed to metric.

I must admit the KMs is not very precise on the speedometer, especially since the cops nail you for going 20 km/h over the limit - doing 119 on this car is not as easy as on my Acura

Steve
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is from the US and I didn't need to change my dash. As noted by others, you'll just see MPH bigger on the outside and Km/h smaller on the inside (and less accurate). Everything else can be converted to metric on your dash via the setting... but an oddity is that the odometer still counts in miles no matter what. Oh well, I can do the math myself (1 mile is roughly 1.6km).
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
heff

yup just keep the american one, i got mine and its clear as day to see the Km/h
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Mine is also from the US and all except the cummulative mileage and speedometer can be changed. I really don't understand why the cummulative mileage cannot be changed as it is an electronic display. I personally find that I'm better off just to keep up with traffic and not too much faster than the others. If I watch the speedo, I end up doing 80 MPH in an 80 KPH zone.

Just a matter of time before I get caught this way...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
jasbains.

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
Mine is also from the US and all except the cummulative mileage and speedometer can be changed. I really don't understand why the cummulative mileage cannot be changed as it is an electronic display. I personally find that I'm better off just to keep up with traffic and not too much faster than the others. If I watch the speedo, I end up doing 80 MPH in an 80 KPH zone.

Just a matter of time before I get caught this way...
That's exactly what I'm scared of but I'd probably get used to the change after a while.

Thanks to everyone though on the feedback. All of you have some good points. I doubt I'd pay the $500 to get it changed. It's a pretty big hassle to do it but I'd prefer the more accurate one because the cops are crazy on speeding around where I live. I was considering buying an American car and the dash change was just a thought that I had in mind.

Another question, is the G37's dash all digital because I know in my dad's Cadillac STS, he can change the whole dash from KM/H to MPH with a click of a button. Is that one of the features on the G37 or would you have to be keeping your eye on the smaller KM/H underneath the MPH on the speedometer?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

You have to keep your eye on the smaller scale.

It's not that difficult to just go with the flow. I rarely watch the speedo.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Toronto is tougher on speed violations than Montreal.....it's a good investment if you wish to sell later on.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jasbains.
Another question, is the G37's dash all digital because I know in my dad's Cadillac STS, he can change the whole dash from KM/H to MPH with a click of a button. Is that one of the features on the G37 or would you have to be keeping your eye on the smaller KM/H underneath the MPH on the speedometer?
No, it's not like the GM system that you're describing which sounds like the one I used to have. That one has one scale and with a push of the button the needle moves, i.e. if you're in MPH and doing 60 (the needle on 60) and push the km/h button, the needle jumps to 100 (km/h) and there's a light in the middle that says "km/h" vs. "MPH". On our dash it's the dual scale for speedo with MPH as the larger scale.

However if you go into the trip computer (buttons on the right side of the instruments that control the red dot matrix display in the center) you can switch the units to metric and it has a separate trip odometer that will show in km, as will the average speed in km/h.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Yeah, you'll get used to looking at the small numbers pretty fast.

I've been pretty lucky that I've never gotten pulled over by cops for speeding (I've gone through speed traps and had cop cars behind me while I was doing 10+ the limit). Must be because my car looks stock... and they profile me as the average 47yo Infiniti buyer? lol

As for the GM dash that makes your needle jump when you switch between mph and km/h... I played with that on a rental Impala. I found it was stupid because the numbers max out at 140 and it wouldn't show the actual km/h because I was doing... um, nevermind.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM
vINCe_Inc

get a cheap $99 gps unit from garmin, it shows you your speed. cheap as fck and works.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 AM
HP_John

I imported back in Jan/Feb of 08 & saved lots, but now, even at a $0.90 dollar, you won't really save on import. There's 6.1% duty, & Infiniti Canada usually has a cash deal credit on the G37 (if you buy in the US, you'd have to pay the full amount upfront eg "cash deal").

Infiniti has been the best at being proactive, as soon as they decided to tackle the issue, they haven't allowed any times since where there was a reason to import. They lowered the MSRP of the 09 G37 coupe, & continued to offer incentives.

Cdn G37
$47025 inc freight/PDI

US G37 Journey w Premium Pkg (equivalent to our base model)
$40715 inc destination/handling
x 1.12 (what the bank will charge based on current $1 US = $1.10 Cdn)
= $45601 + 6.1% duty ($2782)
= $48383

I haven't even factored in any cash deal credit (the amount changes monthly, but it's been at least $2500 for the 09, I've heard as high as $4000).

Last edited by HP_John; 06-11-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

US Conversion costs

When I was looking to buy a US G, I used this website to help in the calculations:

http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/

It factors in the daily exchange rate and tax differences for different provinces. My estimate was the Canadian dollar has to hit about 93 to 95 cents US to make it worthwhile. We're getting close now at 91 cents.

However the big difference for me was the relatively large number of used G coupes that are available in the US market. There was virtually no selection a year ago in Canada.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
When I was looking to buy a US G, I used this website to help in the calculations:

http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/

It factors in the daily exchange rate and tax differences for different provinces. My estimate was the Canadian dollar has to hit about 93 to 95 cents US to make it worthwhile. We're getting close now at 91 cents.

However the big difference for me was the relatively large number of used G coupes that are available in the US market. There was virtually no selection a year ago in Canada.
Infiniti Canada lowered the cost the G37 plus there are credits for doing cash deals. If you buy in the US, you have to do a cash deal (pay the full amount upfront or borrow the full amount from your bank).

My calculations showed that at the current 90 cent dollar, it'd be at least $4000 less in Canada than to import once you factor in the cash deal credit. Even at a 95 cent dollar, it's not worth it anymore. I myself imported & saved tons, but at the time our dollar was worth more than the US, the price of the 08 model in Canada was about $2000 more than it is now for the 09 model in Canada, & dealers were much less willing to discount (economy was good, now it's bad).

Quick Reply: Dashboard Conversion For Canadians