G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What if your NEW G37 had been painted by the dealer and they didnt disclose it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If it were just keyed and repainted, that wouldn't explain any body panels that were misaligned. Sounds more like collision damage from that description.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:22 PM
iguess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a feeling that GM isnt going to be very helpful. Definitely keep us update though.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck, but they will probably say the car was painted at the port, which they are allowed to do. You really have no way of finding out where it was painted. Try to get something from the dealer, but you will probably have no luck. Same thing happened to my mom and we had no luck getting anything back.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If it were just keyed and repainted, that wouldn't explain any body panels that were misaligned. Sounds more like collision damage from that description.

Excellent point. You wouldnt expect panels to be removed unless there was physical damage.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
go4gr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-thang - I think you'remaking mountains out of molehills. It's not that big a deal.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
samskillz

Worse case settle for a free paint job so u dont have to pay for this one.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Keng

Wow....14 miles and repaint? Damn
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 PM
SEATOWNBOY

BMW experienced this in early 2008 when a cargo ship containing mostly new 1 series and the new M3 tilted at port and damaged over 300 cars.

Here's a couple related articles and pics. Either way, the manufacturer should disclose any damage incurred after repair. My personal opinion is that the manufacturer and/or dealer may not always be disclosing repaired vehicles damaged during shipment.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/01/14/ov...n-jersey-city/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/01/24/ho...ring-shipping/
Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by go4gr8
G-thang - I think you'remaking mountains out of molehills. It's not that big a deal.

You obviously know nothing about how KBB values a car. Once you understand this fact post again.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
G Nack 37s

pursuit it and find out the results... hopefully they do something about this gl
Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 PM
G_Thang

Thanks for all the good advise everyone. I'll be talking to the GM and Infiniti consumer affairs hopefully tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how they handle this.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
majin ssj eric

Originally Posted by G_Thang
You obviously know nothing about how KBB values a car. Once you understand this fact post again.
Resale value only matters if you are planning to sell anytime soon. Almost any car that is driven daily and has more than a few thousand miles on it will not qualify for "excellent" condition. If you don't plan on selling for a year or so, then this will not likely affect your resale value much....
Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Resale value only matters if you are planning to sell anytime soon. Almost any car that is driven daily and has more than a few thousand miles on it will not qualify for "excellent" condition. If you don't plan on selling for a year or so, then this will not likely affect your resale value much....
That is not sound logic. Would you buy his car knowing it had been wrecked or a different one that was exactly the same that hadn't? Eventually he will sell it, and then he'll take the hit if he is honest and discloses the damage. For me personally, there is no way I will ever buy any car that has been in a collision period unless I'm buying it strictly for parts. I dont think I'm alone or even in the minority in that opinion. And there are a number of folks who take very good carsthat will still be in excellent shape when they sell it even though its a daily driver. Mine for example still qualifies as excellent with over 44K miles.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by black betty
that is not sound logic. Would you buy his car knowing it had been wrecked or a different one that was exactly the same that hadn't? Eventually he will sell it, and then he'll take the hit if he is honest and discloses the damage. For me personally, there is no way i will ever buy any car that has been in a collision period unless i'm buying it strictly for parts. I dont think i'm alone or even in the minority in that opinion. And there are a number of folks who take very good carsthat will still be in excellent shape when they sell it even though its a daily driver. Mine for example still qualifies as excellent with over 44k miles.
+1000^^^^^
Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes if there is any paint work done at all- even if the car was just keyed- this will lower the value of the car. People will also more heavily scrutinize the vehice. My G35 was keyed and it was repaired great. You could still tell it was painted by looking at the door jambs and seeing the paint lines and by measuring the paint thickness- things you couldn't necessarily see with the naked eye. I disclosed the damage in my ad for the sale as well.
This however naturally raised questions. Fortunately i had everything well documented. My car was in otherwise excellent condition. But I'm sure that there were at least a couple of potential buyers that looked at the car or at the ad that decided not to buy it because of the paint work.

Quick Reply: What if your NEW G37 had been painted by the dealer and they didnt disclose it?