G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Technical Question and Answer thread (FAQs?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Technical Question and Answer thread (FAQs?)

Ask questions, and I (or other members) will answer them.

As questions get answered, I will categorize them, and add them to this post. Mods, I would appreciate if you guys could delete posts that go off topic, and questions that have been answered. Thanks!

I'll start off with some basics.

Engine Related

Does the G37 need Premium Fuel?

Yes, it will RUN on lower octane, but the manual explicitly states that 91 (MON+RON, 96+ for you RON only people) must be used. Should you be driving a 40k dollar car if you're penny pinching 3-4 bucks per tank of gas? Even if you put 100k miles on the car, assuming you get 20 MPG, you're only spending 1000 dollars extra over the life of the car. If you drive 20k miles a year, this works out to 200 dollars a year, or less than 20 dollars a month to ENJOY your car, and potentially save you from having to replace your engine.

Does my G37 need the Nissan Ester Oil?

No, it does not NEED it. However, it will eliminate the VVEL ticking noise. Infiniti cannot void your warranty for not using the Nissan Ester Oil.

What is the best oil for my car?

There is no best. However, Mobil 1 is popular with those that want a synthetic. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Motul are popular with those that want a full synthetic.

Do I need to break in my engine? What is the break-in period?

The owner's manual states not to do any hard stops for 200 miles. They also recommend you keep the RPM low, not accelerate hard for the first 500 miles, and vary your RPM.

HOWEVER, UOA has shown that VQ's are very well made, and the tolerances are tight enough that the engine doesn't fully break in for 15k-20k miles.

Some members are conservative, and follow the manual. Others beat on their engines from day one, and have yet to see an issue. YMMV.

Transmission Related:

Is Auto or Manual Transmission better?

That depends on if you like to row your own gears. I personally prefer the 7AT in the G, but I don't have any complaints about the 6MT either. FWIW, every car I currently own is a MT.

General

Is the sport package available with an Automatic Transmission?

Yes. Configure the G37 Journey, and you can add a sport package later.

Can I get AWD (G37x) with a 6MT?

No, you cannot.

Is a G37x with Twin Turbos like an EVO or STI?

It will have more straightline power, and if you get coils (and properly set them up), you can hold your own in terms of handling.

What is the top speed on my G?

Various limiters have been reported. Common limiters are 136, 144, and 158. The limiter you get depends on the year of the car, and packages on it.

Last edited by Mike; 05-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Mike

reserved
Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
This was posted on another thread, now my question is, is the noise coming from the transmission normal when not in gear (manual transmission) see video. Because my G is making this noise, I always thought it was normal. Please let me know, Thanks!

Ok everyone here's the 411 on My G ,,,,Car is 5 months old with 3346 miles on it. I know some of the members here have been talking about the throw out bearing noise in our G's, so I decided too take it to the dealer to see what's up because I was having the same noise,,,, Car was at the dealer from Wednesday morning until Friday afternoon. Here's what they found when they operated on my baby ,,, we a bad throw out bearing that scored the fingers on the pressure plate ,,,, so instead of it just being the bearing ,,,they had to replace
1-Throw out bearing
2-Pressure Plate
3-Clutch Plate
4-Replace the gear oil inside the trany
5-Did something with the Slave Cylinder really didn't understand what they meant
6-Free oil change and I'm good to go...
It has a whole different feel coming out of the hole

I'm real happy ,, The Operation was a success
So if any of you are having the same noise, I would bring it to the dealer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyVqrksCblU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyVqrksCblU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by raul0434
This was posted on another thread, now my question is, is the noise coming from the transmission normal when not in gear (manual transmission) see video. Because my G is making this noise, I always thought it was normal. Please let me know, Thanks!

Ok everyone here's the 411 on My G ,,,,Car is 5 months old with 3346 miles on it. I know some of the members here have been talking about the throw out bearing noise in our G's, so I decided too take it to the dealer to see what's up because I was having the same noise,,,, Car was at the dealer from Wednesday morning until Friday afternoon. Here's what they found when they operated on my baby ,,, we a bad throw out bearing that scored the fingers on the pressure plate ,,,, so instead of it just being the bearing ,,,they had to replace
1-Throw out bearing
2-Pressure Plate
3-Clutch Plate
4-Replace the gear oil inside the trany
5-Did something with the Slave Cylinder really didn't understand what they meant
6-Free oil change and I'm good to go...
It has a whole different feel coming out of the hole

I'm real happy ,, The Operation was a success
So if any of you are having the same noise, I would bring it to the dealer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyVqrksCblU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyVqrksCblU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
The noise you hear sounds like a bearing that is spinning. The noise is made when he is in neutral, and takes his foot off of the clutch. In his case, there was actual damage, but the noise can also be from the midshaft spinning.

Your drivetrain looks like this (simplified):

Engine -> clutch -> midshaft -> Tranny -> rear wheels

The clutch connects the Engine to the midshaft, while the transmission connects the midshaft and the rear wheels. This is why you are 'coasting' when either 1. clutch is depressed, or 2. tranny is not in gear.

His noise is made with the tranny not in gear, but with the clutch engaged. The midshaft spinning DOES make noise, but is not always heard due to sound deadening.

Keep in mind the car has a 70k/72mo powertrain warranty, which does cover manufacturing defects in the clutch/bearings.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Thank you
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Mike

Bump for questions.

Give me a challenge