Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tint on the G37

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
boostard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tint on the G37

The first thing I am going to do to the car (and one of the only things until the warranty runs out) is to tint the windows.

Now, I live in CA, so anything less then "70%" on the front two windows is illegal... however Ive been driving here for the past 11 years with cars that have darker (~40%) front tint and have never even had so much as a warning about it (and I've been pulled over plenty, believe me)... so this isn't THAT much of a concern.

What IS a concern, however, is the woman. Specifically being, that she sometimes drives the car and I would feel pretty bad if for some reason she DID get busted for having too dark of a tint. Given that reason, I think instead of getting a very dark rear 3 and somewhat dark front 2 tinting job like I have done on my previous 3 cars, I am going to get a medium to medium-light tint all the way around, keeping all 5 windows the same shade.

This is where my question comes in. What % should I be looking at? I want any officers to be able to see into the car if they walk up to it (given that this is the main reason for the tinting regulations) or when I am driving by, yet at the same time I want to cut down on heat and UV/IR light as much as possible, while complementing the black color scheme of the vehicle (e.g. not too light).

I've looked at the descriptions online and have seen the samples of the tint put up on a wall, but it is hard to tell how this will look when actually on the car. Soooo... if anyone has some practical experience with this (or better yet, pictures), I would love to hear from you.

Oh, and if it matters, the interior is stone with black floor mats... and the place I take my cars to uses Johnson GreyStone & 3M window film.

-Joe
Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
35% side 20% rear windows(including the small ones next to the side), sir.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 10% on rear 3 and 20% on front 2
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 35% on side and back windows. They look good and keep the car cool.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5% rear and 15% fronts looks so good.

Found my old trial by declaration tint defense that's worked for me in the past. Only thing is u have to pay the $200 dollars ticket and when you win you get it refunded minus the court fees.

26708 Tint Defense

I plead not guilty to violating CVC26708. The officer has alleged that my window tint was too dark. The most important part of this code for most drivers and applies to the front side windows: “Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met: (1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.”

If at least 88% of light transmits through the window, the tint is legal. My tint was factory installed by Infiniti and the car was legally sold in California as meeting all applicable vehicle codes. There is no evidence that my tint is too dark. The officer simply guessed without any objective scientific measure of my tint density. Since the human eye cannot discern between 88% (legal) and 87 % (illegal) light transmission through tinted glass, I submit that his guess is not credible evidence.

Please dismiss my citation in the interest of justice.
Enjoy and by the way i am not a lawyer but i know my rights :P
Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM
boostard

Did the police officer who cited you appear in court on that day?

Also, does anyone have pictures of their tinting job?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

trial by declaration is a court through the mail, the cop has to right his reason for giving you a ticket and the judge will decide.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
If the cop uses an authorized tint meter as shown below, your defense crumbles.

http://www.tintmeterwarehouse.com/
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

he still has to write his defense and submit it to the judge... which unlike showing up to court, the cop doesn't get paid to do that...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by GeeeeOhhhh
he still has to write his defense and submit it to the judge... which unlike showing up to court, the cop doesn't get paid to do that...
If your defense depends on the cop not writing up something, which may actually be easier than his/her showing up in court, then you’re still rolling dice where your chances of success are uncertain.

Hey, I’ve got what may be considered an unusual idea: Why not drive with legal tint?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
boostard

I ALWAYS fight my tickets (I've only been cited for speeding violations in my 14 year driving career). Regardless of weather or not you are actually guilty, it's always worth while to challenge them in court (I've never done this by mail, IDK if you can for speeding infractions). If the cop doesn't show up, sweet, case dismissed. If he/she does show, then BFD, you have to pay just like you would have anyway. Its a win/tie situation.

Also, its best to postpone the court date as many times as the law allows. Its been my experience that the more times you do this the less likely the officer is to show.

FYI, Ive had a half dozen or so speeding tickets (as far as I can remember) and I've had more then half dismissed due to non-show of the citing officer. THATS worth my time and effort IMO.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

boostard,
I have another unique idea: Instead of looking for various ways to beat the system, why not turn your efforts toward finding out why you get so many speeding tickets and then appropriate action to help prevent future ones?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

radar scramblers and lidar shifters ftw :P
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
boostard

Originally Posted by Chekov
boostard,
I have another unique idea: Instead of looking for various ways to beat the system, why not turn your efforts toward finding out why you get so many speeding tickets and then appropriate action to help prevent future ones?
Why waste the effort on determining why an obvious thing happens? Its because travel over the speed limit. Of course all but two of my tickets have been for doing 80 on the freeway (posted limit is, on the most part, 65 to 70 in this state). And they have ALL been at night.

As for doing something about it, I have become quite astute at determining the make/model of a car by its headlight signature. Testament to this working is that I haven't received a citation in the last 3+ years.

BTW, I don't see how showing up in court to utilize a legal right is trying to "beat the system"? Speaking of which, you cant tell me that having 3 out of 6 or 7 citations thrown out isn't worth while... nor do I feel 7 speeding tickets in 14+ years is anything close to excessive.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
G2Envy

I don't think the cop can introduce new items for the ticket. If he gave you a ticket for the tint he should have used the tint "gauge" before writing the ticket. He would have to now explain why he gave you a ticket based upon what happened that particular day. I don't think he can go back and say, "I have this doodad that will check how much light is passing through the windows."

My cousin is doing the same thing right now for a speeding ticket. He got pulled over for a speeding ticket but in order for the ticket to be accurate, the cop had to have paced him for at least 1/4 mile. Also, my cousin wrote in his letter, to check when his equipment was last calibrated.

Quick Reply: Tint on the G37