Sponsored By:

Tint on the G37

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by boostard
Why waste the effort on determining why an obvious thing happens? Its because travel over the speed limit. Of course all but two of my tickets have been for doing 80 on the freeway (posted limit is, on the most part, 65 to 70 in this state). And they have ALL been at night.

As for doing something about it, I have become quite astute at determining the make/model of a car by its headlight signature. Testament to this working is that I haven't received a citation in the last 3+ years.

BTW, I don't see how showing up in court to utilize a legal right is trying to "beat the system"? Speaking of which, you cant tell me that having 3 out of 6 or 7 citations thrown out isn't worth while... nor do I feel 7 speeding tickets in 14+ years is anything close to excessive.
It’s not that simple. The “obvious thing” does not necessarily have to happen if you:
• Stay within the flow of traffic even if going above the speed limit.
• Assume that every pair of headlights behind you at night is a cop.
• Avoid attracting attention to your car by not weaving in and out of lanes or cruising in the fast lane.

And I don’t see how you can say you’re not trying to beat the system by suggesting a postponement of a court appearance many times, thereby wasting the court’s time and resources for fake reasons. As tax payers, tying up the courts for no good reason affects all of us.

BTW, your record of 7 tickets in 14 years doesn’t win any prizes. I’ve received only 2 tickets in the last 23 years, both for speeding. I got them because I violated my own rules as stated above. But I’ve learned.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
boostard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G2Envy
I don't think the cop can introduce new items for the ticket. If he gave you a ticket for the tint he should have used the tint "gauge" before writing the ticket. He would have to now explain why he gave you a ticket based upon what happened that particular day. I don't think he can go back and say, "I have this doodad that will check how much light is passing through the windows."

My cousin is doing the same thing right now for a speeding ticket. He got pulled over for a speeding ticket but in order for the ticket to be accurate, the cop had to have paced him for at least 1/4 mile. Also, my cousin wrote in his letter, to check when his equipment was last calibrated.
Actually, no. My friend got a noise violation for his aftermarket exhaust. While he had information from the manufacturer about it's Db rating, the court still required this to be verified by a Db meter, AFTER the fact. So I wouldn't place any money on this wager of yours. Just FYI... especially since we both live in CA.

Originally Posted by Chekov
It’s not that simple. The “obvious thing” does not necessarily have to happen if you:
• Stay within the flow of traffic even if going above the speed limit.
• Assume that every pair of headlights behind you at night is a cop.
• Avoid attracting attention to your car by not weaving in and out of lanes or cruising in the fast lane.

And I don’t see how you can say you’re not trying to beat the system by suggesting a postponement of a court appearance many times, thereby wasting the court’s time and resources for fake reasons. As tax payers, tying up the courts for no good reason affects all of us.

BTW, your record of 7 tickets in 14 years doesn’t win any prizes. I’ve received only 2 tickets in the last 23 years, both for speeding. I got them because I violated my own rules as stated above. But I’ve learned.
Sigh... if you really want to go there...

A) I don't drive like an a-hole and/or retard. I NEVER "weave in and out of traffic". Nor do I go about "racing" people on public roadways.

B) I do not out-drive the flow of traffic. I don't know if you have driven on southern California freeways before, but 80 will still get you tailgated in the fastlane given lack of traffic (and since I don't live in LA that's usually the case). Simply put, I wont drive faster then what the road/weather conditions allow.

C) I think you are having trouble understanding part of my previous post. I was simply stating that I have become quite good and determining specific types of cars by their headlight/driving light configurations. E.g. I can tell a Crown Vic from another vehicle (even other Fords), at night and from a distance. There is no assumption involved other then assuming every Crown Victoria (or now Dodge Chargers as they are replacing the Vics for the Highway Partol & Police here) is a potential speeding ticket waiting to happen. This has saved me quite a bit of potential grief/money.

D) I am not looking to win any prizes. I am merely stating that receiving one speeding ticket every two years (on average) is far from excessive... especially for an American male, who has owned multiple highly modified/high HP sports cars and two motorcycles since the age of 18.

Last edited by boostard; 05-27-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Sigh... if you really want to go there...

A) I don't drive like an a-hole and/or retard. I NEVER "weave in and out of traffic". Nor do I go about "racing" people on public roadways.

B) I do not out-drive the flow of traffic. I don't know if you have driven on southern California freeways before, but 80 will still get you tailgated in the fastlane given lack of traffic (and since I don't live in LA that's usually the case). Simply put, I wont drive faster then what the road/weather conditions allow.

C) I think you are having trouble understanding part of my previous post. I was simply stating that I have become quite good and determining specific types of cars by their headlight/driving light configurations. E.g. I can tell a Crown Vic from another vehicle (even other Fords), at night and from a distance. There is no assumption involved other then assuming every Crown Victoria (or now Dodge Chargers as they are replacing the Vics for the Highway Partol & Police here) is a potential speeding ticket waiting to happen. This has saved me quite a bit of potential grief/money.

D) I am not looking to win any prizes. I am merely stating that receiving one speeding ticket every two years (on average) is far from excessive... especially for an American male, who has owned multiple highly modified/high HP sports cars and two motorcycles since the age of 18.
Just a few comments on your above post:

You’re the one who said you got a ticket doing 80, and all your tickets were at night. My points were addressing those issues. If you don’t weave and if you stay within the flow of traffic there must be other reasons you’re getting so many tickets. I really don’t know, but it’s something you may want to put some of your energies into.

I've driven on California freeways, including in the San Diego area, for 41 years now, and only one of my two tickets was on such a freeway. You seemed to have said that going 80 in the fast lane will get you tailgated. Of course it will; it was one of my points to avoid.

I tip my hat to you regarding being able to spot a Crown Victoria or Dodge Charger behind you in the dark of night. I’ve been driving more years than you and have never developed this extraordinary skill. If such a vehicle got that close to me it was too late to do anything about.

In my driving history starting 56 years ago I too have often owned sports cars, including a Porsche, a 280ZX, and two G coupes. But I’ve never equated that to thinking tickets were inevitable.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chekov is the unofficial leader of the tint police on MyG37.

Some have even seen him driving around L.A. with one of these in his back pocket.

Just kidding
Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by TomG37
Chekov is the unofficial leader of the tint police on MyG37.

Some have even seen him driving around L.A. with one of these in his back pocket.

Just kidding
Lucky for you that's not true. If so, half of you would not drive another foot until you peeled off that illegal tint on the spot.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
boostard

Just a few comments on your above post:

You’re the one who said you got a ticket doing 80, and all your tickets were at night. My points were addressing those issues. If you don’t weave and if you stay within the flow of traffic there must be other reasons you’re getting so many tickets.
Yes, two main reasons in fact.

1. The sorry state of the Californian economy, and...

2. Driving modified imports.

Case in point, one of the two speeding tickets of which I was cited for something other then "80 in a 65 (or 70) MPH zone" was for doing 68 in a 65. Why? Probably had something to do with my driving an Electron Blue Pearl Civic coupe with aftermarket exhaust and coilover suspension (only two mods visible from the outside other then wheels/tires and a big brake kit).

And to bring the post back on topic that car has 5% tint on the rear 3 windows with 40% in the front. Still not even a verbal warning on that issue... although I did have to pop myhood to be inspected for non CARB compliant modifications.

And, no, it's not "riced out" either...

Last edited by boostard; 05-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM
StopTheExcuses

Case in point, one of the two speeding tickets of which I was cited for something other then "80 in a 65 (or 70) MPH zone" was for doing 68 in a 65. Why? Probably had something to do with my driving an Electron Blue Pearl Civic coupe with aftermarket exhaust and coilover suspension (only two mods visible from the outside other then wheels/tires and a big brake kit).

And to bring the post back on topic that car has 5% tint on the rear 3 windows with 40% in the front. Still not even a verbal warning on that issue... although I did have to pop myhood to be inspected for non CARB compliant modifications.

Those wheels look like the first set of rims I ever had on my 240sx after I did the swap. They are Rota Slipstream or something like that right?? I have enkei RPF-1's now. I needed more MEAT on the rear. LOL. Here is a picture. Oh, and congrats on not ricing out that civic. LOL. To keep on course with the topic at hand, why not just go as dark as legal on all the windows just so you or your old lady don't get harassed?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 AM
boostard

Thank you! Rota Circuit 8's actually. 215-45-16s on that specific car (Hankook Ventus RS-2s).

And 70% is the "legal tint" here in CA for the front 2 windows... too light IMO.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
StopTheExcuses

Thank you! Rota Circuit 8's actually. 215-45-16s on that specific car (Hankook Ventus RS-2s).

And 70% is the "legal tint" here in CA for the front 2 windows... too light IMO.
Ahhh, that's right! The Slipstream was the more common one right? Let me see if I can dig up a picture of them on my car before paint...........Uggg, I found ONE, but I resized it for a signature or something so the detail is not there, but you can see the Rota's. 8.0 inch wide rear wheels IS NOT enough width for 420whp! Haha. Yeah, 70% is def very light with stone interior. Maybe go 35% and hope for the best??

Last edited by StopTheExcuses; 05-28-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Sorry, I’m not buying your story. You seem to think the CHP has been ordered to give out extra tickets in order to help balance California’s sorry budget. I’m up on California politics and believe no such thing.

Driving modified imports? The car in your pics by its appearance looks like a nice car that wouldn’t alert any cop on its own unless there’s something else you’ve done. Cited for doing 68 in a 65 zone? I’ve never heard of such a thing, unless you flipped a Chippie the bird as you passed him doing that 68. And like you yourself suggested, the two visible mods wouldn’t signal anything but just another car on the road.

It’s just my opinion, but perhaps you need to move away from blaming something else for your tickets other than your own driving habits.

And maybe you need to reconsider that illegal 40% tint on the front. They may not have given you a ticket for it, but they nevertheless hate that sort of thing.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

So this is one of your "highly modded/high HP sports cars"? I think you need to take another look at what a sports car is and what a sport compact is. A civic Si, which is what I'm assuming that is and not just a wanna-be, is not even close to being considered a sports car.

To avoid being off topic, I have 20% platinum on the rear window and 35% platinum on the sides and it looks pretty nice. Mirror tint is the best because it blocks out more heat/UV, if the sun is out people can't see in for ****, and the tint meters don't see it as being as dark as it really is. From the looks of the posts of CA guys, it would be 80% on the back and 65% on the sides in CA.

Last edited by BradManUWF; 05-28-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 AM
boostard

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
So this is one of your "highly modded/high HP sports cars"? I think you need to take another look at what a sports car is and what a sport compact is. A civic Si, which is what I'm assuming that is and not just a wanna-be, is not even close to being considered a sports car.

To avoid being off topic, I have 20% platinum on the rear window and 35% platinum on the sides and it looks pretty nice. Mirror tint is the best because it blocks out more heat/UV, if the sun is out people can't see in for ****, and the tint meters don't see it as being as dark as it really is. From the looks of the posts of CA guys, it would be 80% on the back and 65% on the sides in CA.

While it is highly modified (basically everything except the interior and body has been changed), its not high horsepower unless you are speaking in relative terms (208 FWHP out of an NA 1.8l 4 cyl running pump gas). As I previously said, I purpose built it to be an auto-x vehicle while retaining daily driving capability... however what I did NOT say (ever) was that I considered it to be a "sports car".

Its also nice to see that you are making assumptions while not knowing what is actually done to the car. Maybe I should have added some stickers and a triple decker wing/body kit so people like you would assume its "fast"! Oh wait, I didnt do that on purpose... oh well.

On that note, however, I do believe that 300RWHP (on pump gas, 320+RWHP on C10) in a 2600lb mid engine RWD 2 seat vehicle would qualify on that point of order. Of course its only in my signature and I have no reason to believe that you might have actually looked at it before posting as such.[/sarcasm]

I wont bother getting into the FD RX7 which I had stolen from me a few years back.

Also, why would you ever put lighter tint on the rear windows then in front?

RE: "From the looks of the posts of CA guys, it would be 80% on the back and 65% on the sides in CA."

Sorry, I’m not buying your story. You seem to think the CHP has been ordered to give out extra tickets in order to help balance California’s sorry budget. I’m up on California politics and believe no such thing.

Driving modified imports? The car in your pics by its appearance looks like a nice car that wouldn’t alert any cop on its own unless there’s something else you’ve done. Cited for doing 68 in a 65 zone? I’ve never heard of such a thing, unless you flipped a Chippie the bird as you passed him doing that 68. And like you yourself suggested, the two visible mods wouldn’t signal anything but just another car on the road.
Well... lets see... other then the fact that I couldn't care less about what you believe... you have never heard of speed enforcement days? Apparently not.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/media/press...04/012204.html

"California - Speed is a recurring theme among primary collision factors in California. The state and particularly the California Highway Patrol remains committed to efforts at curbing speed related collisions and continues to be proactive in a variety of forums, including rigorous enforcement programs, an increasing technological advantage, and various education and public awareness campaigns. California State Patrol recently put into service a fleet of white Camaro patrol cars (The Ghost Riders) that have been successful in enforcing speed limits for trucks. Several areas of the state also implemented highly publicized "Zero Tolerance" enforcement days to call attention to compliance with speed laws."

...Of course the officer in question could have just been a major kack, and/or had been slacking off on his quota for the month...

And I am sure the CHP officer asked to see under my hood to check for modification/C.A.R.B. compliance during this "routine" traffic stop because my car resembles "just another car on the road". That would have happened to anyone, right?

Last edited by boostard; 05-28-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Its also nice to see that you are making assumptions while not knowing what is actually done to the car. Maybe I should have added some stickers and a triple decker wing/body kit so people like you would assume its "fast"! Oh wait, I didnt do that on purpose... oh well.
Well its hard to tell what it is with no badges, and even then it could still be a wanna-be. For all we know, you could have a stock D16 under the hood. It's pretty damn easy to have a regular civic painted in electron blue and install Si tail lights. I could have easily assumed it was a civic DX dressed up like an Si, but I didn't, gave you the benefit of the doubt. I was just making an observation about one post of yours saying you've always owned highly modded/high HP cars since you were 18 and then you post up a pic of a Si.......not impressed because it's still a civic and you only showed us the side and azz end. Now if you had a turbo K20 swap putting down 350+whp, then I'd give you props because that would actually take some wrench turning. That is a clean/nice Si though

On that note, however, I do believe that 300RWHP (on pump gas, 320+RWHP on C10) in a 2600lb mid engine RWD 2 seat vehicle would qualify on that note. Of course its only in my signature and I have no reason to believe that you might have actually looked at it before posting as such.[/sarcasm]
I mentioned nothing about your MR2, so your comments on that are pointless and not relevent to my post.

Also, why would you ever put lighter tint on the rear windows then in front?

RE: "From the looks of the posts of CA guys, it would be 80% on the back and 65% on the sides in CA."
I guess you didn't read all of my post or you just didn't comprehend it. Different states rate tint darkness in different ways. Some people use the "blocks 80% of the light" and others use "allows 20% of the light", but it's still the same darkness of tint. Just depends on how they word their rating. I noticed the guys in CA were using the "blocks XX%" method. In FL, and AL where I had the tint done, they rate the tint as "allows XX%". So for me, I have 20% and 35%. Someone else from another state may rate the same tint as 80% and 65%. Do you understand now?

And since you want to be a little f'ck stick, I'll bet your driving habits are the direct cause of your multiple tickets. If you weren't doing something to draw attention to yourself, then you wouldn't be getting tickets. You can try and argue that all you want, which I'm sure you will, but enjoy living in your own little "boostard" world. If you weren't doing something, the cops wouldn't pull you over. Blame the CA economy and "profiling" all you want..... I'll let you know how many times I DON'T get pulled over after I move to Monterey.

Last edited by BradManUWF; 05-28-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In Miami you can put whatever. If you don't get tickets by normal driving a cop will never pull you over. I have 10% both sides & back and cops don't even flinch.

Front windshield tinted also is popular in Miami. That might get you pulled over but limo sides & back won't!

PS: Last ticket was 5 years ago for improper lane change. Had the G for almost 10 months and I drive spirited but cautious of the police/undercover cars. A trick Ive been told(by cops) and rule of thumb I go by is to always drive 5 miles over speed limit and no more than 10 miles over. When a cop is behind you you do 3-5 miles over always. If you do the exact speed limit he is going to run your tag and possibly pull you over since doing the exact speed limit is suspicious to most police officers. Cops will give you a ticket 10-15 over period!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
aseo89

i want 5% all around so bad....

Quick Reply: Tint on the G37