Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

gas guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM
greggv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gas guage problems

How many miles do you get on a fresh fill-up before you're gas guage reads empty? Mine used to go empty at about 325, now much less, like 280. Says I have only 25 miles before empty, and if I fill up then, it'll only take 14 gallons or so. And we hold 20, right? I've been to the dealer 4x for this, the problem moves around, sometimes won't ever read full, sometimes won't go down past 1/4 tank. Any suggestions? The more times I take it in for this, the more insistant I become that it be fixed properly. I've got as far as 431 miles before I did run out of gas, just proving to myself the problem still existed
(when i ran out, the guage said 1/4 tank) Anyone have similar problems, or a direction to take to get this resolved? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by greggv
How many miles do you get on a fresh fill-up before you're gas guage reads empty? Mine used to go empty at about 325, now much less, like 280. Says I have only 25 miles before empty, and if I fill up then, it'll only take 14 gallons or so. And we hold 20, right? I've been to the dealer 4x for this, the problem moves around, sometimes won't ever read full, sometimes won't go down past 1/4 tank. Any suggestions? The more times I take it in for this, the more insistant I become that it be fixed properly. I've got as far as 431 miles before I did run out of gas, just proving to myself the problem still existed
(when i ran out, the guage said 1/4 tank) Anyone have similar problems, or a direction to take to get this resolved? Thanks!
When you are filling your tank, does it stop filling somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank? If so, there's another thread going about that- several of us have had that problem, where the pump shuts off somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank and is difficult to pump the rest of the tank. There is a TSB out for that, but I'm not sure if that is exactly your problem.

The "range" or distance to empty gauge changes based on your driving style, so if you have just done a lot of city driving, it is going to be lower until you get back to highway driving and start getting better mileage, at which point it will continue to re-adjust.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Im not sure if this helps, or could be contributing to this, but, on rare occasions, my gas tank will not take a full tank. Just recently, I went to fill up, and it took a full tank. Not sure what to make of it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
adam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time I fill up when my tank says 10-15 miles left on reserve but it only takes about 14 or 15 gallons. Once I put it to full I do about 230miles all city driving.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM
greggv

when filling my tank, I have no problems getting it full. We hold 20 gal, average 20 mpg, so I'm thinking that the "25 miles left to go" message shouldn't be commong on at 250 - 280 miles, especially when I have 5 - 6 gallons left in the tank.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
DrJones

I usually get close to 300 out of a tank.... all city driving..... usually fill up twice a month..... however the other day my warning light came on and said I only had about 23 miles until empty and about 5 minutes later it read --- and I was like WTF
Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
gurneyeagle

One thing to keep in mind when comparing fill-ups is that not all pumps flow at the same rate. The flow rate can even change on the same pump at a station based on how the setting is adjusted.

If you have a pump with a high flow rate, it will shut-off sooner than one with a slower rate. As someone who sometimes tries to fill the tank to the tippy-top (I know, I know that can affect the emissions hardware), there are certain pumps at certain areas where I can get a much higher fill, sometimes by as much as two gallons.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Possibly still do.

I checked my tire pressure, it was around 33-34psi, I filled it up to 35-37psi for S-drives. Filled up the tank at Shell instead of the usual Chevron. Now I get what I used to get. Try changing pump/gas station and check tire pressure?

If not, I'd try the dealer again because I know someone had his sensor replaced due to similar problem (tank never goes to full).

Last edited by ucla bruin; 05-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 PM
gan78mao

i had this problem last year Gregg, they replaced my fuel gauge sensors if i remembered correctly and installed a bracket, i went in several times for this issue too. it wasnt fixed right away when they changed the sensors, but i realized different gas stations do matter accordign to what kind of nozzle they use.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my prior cars (2000 Corvette) was known to have this type of problem which was further complicated due to the split saddle-bag type of gas tank (2 tanks connected with a complex crossover system). The issue was typically the fuel sender unit that reports the fuel level where it could get fouled if the gas had high sulfur levels. You can try adding a bottle of either Chevron Techron or Redline SL-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner. I used the latter in my vette about once every 5-8K miles and it was rated safe for all system components. I only had one minor incident with the guage acting slow after using different gas (typically stuck with Shell) but generally never had any issue.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 PM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by greggv
I had this problem with my 04.5 G35 coupe. It took me running out of gas to notice the problem. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a bunch of stuff but the gauge was still inaccurate. At my 3rd trip to the dealer, they finally found that the bracket the sensor was mounted to was bent and this was creating the inaccurate readings.

Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
greggv

Well it's back at the dealer for the 4th time. Still no accuracy at all, and not repeatable, either. I'll keep you posted. Both the sending units have been replaced, one of them twice.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
SL1CKZ

Does our G really hold 20 galloons?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
redshift1

Anyone have a guage that actually works.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far after 3 weeks and 3 fillups it seems accurate (mileage, gallons going in, etc.)

Quick Reply: gas guage problems