Puddles of water in the G..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From someone on lawyers.com forum
You can go to small claims court.

It probably won't be too hard to prove that the alarm company messed up.

What WILL be hard to prove is that your carpet will need to be replaced instead of just dried.

And take it from me, a property claim rep who has handled thousands of claims for watered carpet, wet carpet CAN respond nicely to drying and cleaning.

If you don't believe that, think about what happens when the carpet cleaning company comes to your house with all that equipment. They saturate your carpet with a cleaning solution that's made up of mostly(you guessed it) WATER and then they dry the carpet and go away.

By the way, you also have the obligation to mitigate your damages, which means that you have to give the alarm co the opportunity to dry the carpet when they install the grommet.

If you don't like the way the carpet turns out, then you have something to talk about in court.
that settles it. I may not even win the case. I'll pull the entire carpet out, dry it, and reinstall it.. i'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do what that guy said.. let them have the opportunity to make it right.. if they dry it and the car starts to smell like mold.. then go after them.. just document everything
Old 05-22-2009, 07:23 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
^ Whats the suggestion? Or did you want to PM me?
sell your Sub and amp to your bestfriend in the whole wide world hahaha
Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
oOmikeyboy

Originally Posted by XMMAN
do what that guy said.. let them have the opportunity to make it right.. if they dry it and the car starts to smell like mold.. then go after them.. just document everything
I thought about it.. but no. I don't want that guy near my car anymore. He fails at life. Anyways.. Me and a buddy of mine took my car home, and started taking out the interior so we could get to the carpet itself.

These pics aren't pretty.. (or good quality lmao)

Driver seat in my living room

No driver seat or center console area

Puddle of water near rear seat.. about 2.20" deep

Sat on a crate to move the car into the garage.. lmao
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM
HamstersG

Man that would just kill me.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
oOmikeyboy

Yeah man. The dealership quoted me $2400 total for the job, no thanks. I am going to do this myself. In the event that the carpet still has issues afterwards, i'll suck up the cost and buy the carpet myself.

update on the car:
I removed all the water, and the car is sitting in the garage. I will be properly washing & drying the carpet either tomorrow or sunday.. and patching up the hole in the firewall. Everything goes back in the car by monday.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap, "puddle" doesn't even describe that. That's more like a lake or in-cabin pond.

Make your alarm installer PAY!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 AM
jnguyen

wow man. im speechless. At first i thought it was just a small leak making your carpet damp but a 2 inch puddle?! thats effin nuts. At least your fixing it. hopefully everything works out fine, keep us with the updates
Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 AM
majin ssj eric

I can't believe the carpet costs so much. No chance of finding a totalled G and buying its carpet on the cheap?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Wet/Dry Shop Vacs are your friend :P
Old 05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
oOmikeyboy

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Holy crap, "puddle" doesn't even describe that. That's more like a lake or in-cabin pond.

Make your alarm installer PAY!
I wish i could. The court would most likely order me to let the guy try and dry the carpet first..before any reparations can be made. I don't want the guy touching my car at all

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I can't believe the carpet costs so much. No chance of finding a totalled G and buying its carpet on the cheap?
I doubt it.. i don't even think theres any junkyards around where i live?

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
Wet/Dry Shop Vacs are your friend :P
Ya, i'm gonna go get a dry shop vac on monday to see if i can dry things out. I'll also be taking the time to pull out whatever insulation/padding that is not necessary.. you know, for weight savings
Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
XMMAN

i had this same problem once in my altima.. i did the same thing you were doing.. it turned out fine.. i shampooed the carpet and let it dry like 4 times.. in the mean time i drove the car around with just a drivers seat like a race car.. it was kind of fun.. lol.. take your time and do it right! You should just sell your car on ebay as "g37 w/ private lake" Waterfront property is rising these days!
Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 AM
oOmikeyboy

^ LOL! yeah, i could. G37 w/ private enclosed swimming pool. Toddlers only.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SFG37S
Get the dealer to document the problem on the repair order and pay them. Next step, Go to the alarm installer and nicely say to the owner, "I am not going to argue with you. Either you can pay me, or small claims court can. Its your choice". Make sure to take the pictures with you to court if it goes that far.

P.S No need for a lawyer, Any decent judge is going to see it as an open and shut case.
I totally agree. You have lots of pictures and all the documents you need. Can you get the installer admitting to fault on tape or in writing? That would also help your case Mikey.

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Bring Black Betty with you.
Jeremy would have their *** in a sling!!

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
ok.. another update.

I called a few attorneys, and they all agree that its a small claims court kind of thing. $1500 is not that big of a deal apparently, and i should just file the claim myself. However, i don't know a single thing about law, or the first thing about suing someone.

I guess im just gonna suck it up and order the carpet myself, and change it. Lesson learned i guess. I will be picking up the car in a few days, and i will pull the carpet out myself.

If anyone has any suggestions or idea's that can help me out right about now, feel free to comment.. i'm at a loss for words.
If you have the funds perhaps go ahead and let infiniti do the work since they are the experts. Then take the bill to the installer. If he refuses to pay you then explain that you will file suit in small claims court. Also contact your local media station. The installer wont be happy when a news crew shows up in his shop asking questions (we have something similar in Houston). Keep all your documentation and pictures. This is def an open/shut case! G/L bro.

I filed suit against someone once upon a time who owed my $806.50. As soon as he was served my phone blew up and he wanted to pay!!
Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM
oOmikeyboy

Originally Posted by DrJones
If you have the funds perhaps go ahead and let infiniti do the work since they are the experts. Then take the bill to the installer. If he refuses to pay you then explain that you will file suit in small claims court. Also contact your local media station. The installer wont be happy when a news crew shows up in his shop asking questions (we have something similar in Houston). Keep all your documentation and pictures. This is def an open/shut case! G/L bro.

I filed suit against someone once upon a time who owed my $806.50. As soon as he was served my phone blew up and he wanted to pay!!
Its too late to file suit or go to court. I took apart the interior myself, so now its on me. This kind of things has happened to me before. Any bad decisions/mistakes always lead to lost money.

I made a bad decision by choosing this shop as the place to do my alarm work, and now i have to pay.. Do i like it? No definitely not.

Quick Reply: Puddles of water in the G..