G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is the G37 a good car for the mountains and track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Video is done well but the cars seems slow in the videos.

I don't really see any videos of serious driving with drifting and fish tailing( on real streets not a track or parking lot like a lot of videos at youtube)... The G fishies beautifully Wait to you guys see my video I'm working on...don't know if I could post it here lol.
The G37 is slow.

Edited
The G37 is quick.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 05-20-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
People should get a clue. Its baffling why everyone compared it to EVOs, STIs etc. Those cars are made for totally different purposes and are yet near the same real with regard to acceleration depending on the conditions. The G37 is well above average in handling and acceleration-and my most measures considered quick- not "slow". LOL

The weight can be felt in the turns but can also be neutralized if you know how throttle steer effectively. The handling is crisp and the stability in the corners is solid.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37 is a luxury sports coupe so its heavy. however, add some nice springs/coils and definitely get sway bars and the handling is night and day. it may not be the BEST track car but it still is a blast to drive which is what matters to me.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
People should get a clue. Its baffling why everyone compared it to EVOs, STIs etc. Those cars are made for totally different purposes and are yet near the same real with regard to acceleration depending on the conditions. The G37 is well above average in handling and acceleration-and my most measures considered quick- not "slow". LOL

The weight can be felt in the turns but can also be neutralized if you know how throttle steer effectively. The handling is crisp and the stability in the corners is solid.
It's like the customers I had all the time that cross shopped the evo/sti with the G.

I ask them, if they were to get the evo/sti, how much would they spend in mods? Realistically, the total usually comes out to around 15-20 grand (bolt-ons, aero, rims, tires, suspension, etc.)

Then I lay out for them what 15-20 grand could do for them in the G, which comes out to this:

-Enough hp to spank a Porsche turbo (with chrono), GT-R, Z06, or any evo/sti with less than a 35R and race gas. In a straight line.
-A race spec set of coils that will bring up the suspension to race-spec evo/sti coils.
-A set of stickier (and wider) tires that will allow them to put the power to the ground and corner effectively.
-All while having a far nicer interior and a lower insurance bill.

Ultimately, will this car be faster at the track or canyons? no. Are you at a track or canyon for your average street encounter? no .

If you're looking for a pure sports car and are looking to drive at 9/10ths every day without compromise, consider the evo/sti/s2000; the G is the wrong car for you.

If you're looking for a luxury car that can hold its own in 'spirited' driving, then the G is the perfect for you.

That being said, IMO, the G's long wheelbase is still a detriment to it's handling, but makes it that much better for daily driving.

Last edited by Mike; 05-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Then I lay out for them what 15-20 grand could do for them in the G, which comes out to this:

-Enough hp to spank a Porsche turbo (with chrono), GT-R, Z06, or any evo/sti with less than a 35R and race gas.
-A race spec set of coils that will bring up the suspension to race-spec evo/sti coils.
-A set of stickier (and wider) tires that will allow them to put the power to the ground and corner effectively.
-All while having a far nicer interior and a lower insurance bill.
I really want to know what you are smoking.

15-20k and you think a G will beat a GT-R or Z06???
Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Mike

Edited my post. In a straight line, yes.

In fact, you need way less than 15-20k to do that.

GTM TT. 11k installed. ~500whp. Oh, did I forget to mention that the G is more aerodynamic?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
audioqueso

WhosUrBuddiee,
Thank you, but I'm not interested in an Evo.

Just FYI, I don't want to mention my daily requirements out of a car, because if I did that, people are going to start telling me what car I need. It ALWAYS happens in any car forum.

I know the G37 is one of four cars on my list, I drove it, I like it, but I am just asking owners about how they feel about it with mountain roads/open-track because that is one of my favorite things to do. That's the only feedback I'm looking for since I couldn't determine that from my test drive since it was in the city.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've done a few canyon runs in mine. Handled fairly well, got into limp mode my second time goin up the mountain though which freaked the hell outta me. But other than that I was impressed with the way it handled considering the car's curb weight.

For the record, here's the canyon run we did (Mike was leading )

5+ miles of this stuff:

Name:  palomar.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  14.8 KB

Dam I wanna go back one of these days!

Last edited by Gamedog; 05-20-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Rapture37

The car handles great for it's weight. It's a blast in canyon runs and tracks. Also is nice as a daily driver. If you want luxury and a fast car with 4 seats get the g! Depends on what you want to compromise. If your question is that since you like the car but only drove it in the city, I was completely satisfied once I took it on a drive in a canyon. It's a blast. Good luck finding a car!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM
xyz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by audioqueso
WhosUrBuddiee,
Thank you, but I'm not interested in an Evo.

Just FYI, I don't want to mention my daily requirements out of a car, because if I did that, people are going to start telling me what car I need. It ALWAYS happens in any car forum.

I know the G37 is one of four cars on my list, I drove it, I like it, but I am just asking owners about how they feel about it with mountain roads/open-track because that is one of my favorite things to do. That's the only feedback I'm looking for since I couldn't determine that from my test drive since it was in the city.
What are the other 3 cars on your list?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Mike

lol @ Gamedog... even pulled the image straight out of my photobucket

The car DOES hold it's own; FWIW, G's with larger tires will skidpad higher than my s2k will.

It all depends on your long term plans for the car.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 PM
audioqueso

Originally Posted by Gamedog
I've done a few canyon runs in mine. Handled fairly well, got into limp mode my second time goin up the mountain though which freaked the hell outta me. But other than that I was impressed with the way it handled considering the car's curb weight.
What do you mean limp mode? Meaning the rear started to hop around? That road looks like fun!

Originally Posted by Rapture37
If your question is that since you like the car but only drove it in the city, I was completely satisfied once I took it on a drive in a canyon. It's a blast. Good luck finding a car!
That's correct. I liked it, but was only able to test drive it in the city. So I wasn't able to see how it felt on a curvy road.

The car DOES hold it's own; FWIW, G's with larger tires will skidpad higher than my s2k will.

It all depends on your long term plans for the car.
Long term. Drive it to work once of twice a week, drive on the mountain, and some open-track racing. Do I have plans to modify it and make it faster and better performing? Yes, if the right parts become available.

Last edited by audioqueso; 05-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
SirFer

I wouldn't know about the track, but I can say it's a lot of fun on mountains. Everyone else has their gripes about it, but if you don't have high expectations you can really have a lot of fun in this car on the twisties. I live on top of a mountain so driving up and down everyday is an experience, always puts a smile on my face. Mine is completely stock, so I imagine like everyone else said if you got new sways and maybe some springs or coilovers it'd be even better, but I'm happy with it stock and not planning to change that anytime real soon. Good luck deciding and making a purchase.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Mike

Limp mode meaning overheating; the VQ37 is known to have this issue and Nissan has an optional oil cooler that should solve this problem.

The Mustang and IS-F are apples and oranges. The 370Z is like the G37, except more nimble at the cost of being slightly more expensive to maintain (tires anyone?). Car insurance is likely to be higher as well. Practicality suffers in comparison to the G37, as you pick up two seats and a little bit of trunk space.

The biggest difference you'll notice is the weight and wheelbase. The G37 is heavier, and the long wheelbase hurts it on tight turns and quick transitions. On the flip side, the longer wheelbase adds to the vehicle's stability, and improves daily driveability.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
audioqueso

Limp mode meaning overheating; the VQ37 is known to have this issue and Nissan has an optional oil cooler that should solve this problem.
Interesting. Does the optional oil cooler really solve the overheating problem? Because overheating is a big NO for open-track.

The Mustang and IS-F are apples and oranges. The 370Z is like the G37, except more nimble at the cost of being slightly more expensive to maintain (tires anyone?). Car insurance is likely to be higher as well. Practicality suffers in comparison to the G37, as you pick up two seats and a little bit of trunk space.

The biggest difference you'll notice is the weight and wheelbase. The G37 is heavier, and the long wheelbase hurts it on tight turns and quick transitions. On the flip side, the longer wheelbase adds to the vehicle's stability, and improves daily driveability.
No offense Mike (because I know you're just trying to help), but this is why I didn't mention the other cars at first. I'm not asking anyone to compare the cars I choose. I've done the homework, and these are the cars that I've narrowed it down to. I'm not asking anyone for differences compared to any car. All I'm really asking is about the G37 on mountain roads and track racing. But thank you for the information.

Quick Reply: Is the G37 a good car for the mountains and track?