Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch! sorry to see this.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
atag012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i get the panel replaced and get it painted without the Clear Coat, will that be a problem?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok....you need to get the panel replaced/painted/cleared. If your shop doesn't use the self-healing clearcoat....NO BIG DEAL. You won't be able to tell anyways. Clear is CLEAR. You should be more concerned about the paint matching accurately. Just don't do the $300 job....they'll F your car up....a 2009 G37....a $40k-plus car.....needs more respect than "I don't wanna spend money to fix my expensive car cause I F'd it up". Get it professionally fixed if you're gonna keep it for 3 years. If you don't get it fixed appropriately, get ready for Infiniti to smack you with a HUGE fine when you turn it in (I'm assuming it's a lease).....then you're out $300 from the cheapo repair, plus whatever fine Infiniti imposes on you......I hope this makes it clear what you should do: suck it up, take it to a REPUTABLE body shop (preferably Infiniti certified), get the work done right the first time, pay the higher bill, learn from the mistake of F'ing up your brand new car, drive safer next time, turn in your leased car without a fine. That sounds logical to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:54 AM
TJHG37S

Last time I say this, send pics to Beach Cities PDR..........
Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 AM
atag012

Don't worry I already sent pics, and I'm finding out reputable Infiniti body shops
Old 05-10-2009, 04:57 AM
cesG37

Originally Posted by atag012
****. I just got my new 09G37 less than a week ago, never have ****ed up any cars I've had and just dented the **** out of it. First off I'm angry as hell, but I need to know how to fix this and how much it will cost. I was backing out of a chipotle lot looking behind me and I didn't even feel my front bumper touch this car until my friend stopped me and said, you hit that car. The other car just got some paint damage but my car got this HUGE dent. Can I take this to a normal body shop and get it fixed. I know the 09's have that special coat on the paint which is supposed to heal small scratches, if i get it done at a body shop will i still get this coat. Also can this be fixed or do i have to change the whole section, and around how much do you think it will cost? Thanks and this really sucks.
Please look at these pictures, I need you help. http://img517.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p5070085.jpg

AND also if you know any good or legit body shops let me know. I live in Los Angeles, CA.
I work for a body shop and we specialize in paintless dent removal, $100 dollars per section or we can completely remove the dent and repaint. I'll hook you up. Call me 310-601-0849
Old 05-10-2009, 02:27 PM
atag012

^ Ok I'll call you. Thanks, my name is Arian btw
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
last lemming

do it one time and do it right. Get a few quotes and what they intend to do. If 3 body shops say all the same thing that should tell you somthing.

No disrepect, but you don't seem to know too much about paint, there's a LOT to it. I tried repainted my old Porsche - learned a bunch, and also learned that there is a reason the price of a good paint job costs good money, it's very true in this case that you get what you pay for. You WILL regret a bad paint job repair.

That dent doesn't look all that PDR repairable. If you cant afford to fix it now, save for it - the car IS drivable. Again, fix it one time and do it right.

BTW - you DO need a clear coat.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
DashKid
Banned

just saw the pic and that kinda looks like my damage.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM fender is around $300 msrp but you can get it for $225. Add a couple hours labor and material and you're up around $600 total.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 PM
atag012

Originally Posted by last lemming
do it one time and do it right. Get a few quotes and what they intend to do. If 3 body shops say all the same thing that should tell you somthing.

No disrepect, but you don't seem to know too much about paint, there's a LOT to it. I tried repainted my old Porsche - learned a bunch, and also learned that there is a reason the price of a good paint job costs good money, it's very true in this case that you get what you pay for. You WILL regret a bad paint job repair.

That dent doesn't look all that PDR repairable. If you cant afford to fix it now, save for it - the car IS drivable. Again, fix it one time and do it right.

BTW - you DO need a clear coat.
yea your right, I know nothing about paint. So why do I need clear coat? And it doesn't look bad at all cuz the paint is fine so I dont think im going to be fixing it unless I find a good reliable place and know exactly what i need to get done.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
last lemming

You say the paint is fine, but looking at that picture it looks like there is a white line or crease. Is this just the light refracting off the metal or is that primer or metal I see? If its down to the metal then you will have to get something done sooner or later because you will begin to rust, so you will have to get it painted which means pulling the panel out, maybe a bit of bondo, some sanding, some base coat then a clear coat to protect the base coat (BTW I've simplified the steps there, theres a bit of work to pull it off correctly). Now if the they have to go through all this work to fix it, im willing to bet it would just as much to buy the new panel for about $300 that you KNOW is strait and DOESN'T have bondo and paint the whole thing. They are going to have to paint match and blend no matter which way you go.

I agree with a previous poster who said to take it PDR (Paintless dent removal) expert and just see what they say. But this assumes there is not damage lower than the clear coat. Whatever you do, don't do a half *** job to save a few dollars. Spend a little extra to do it right. A little extra now wont be remembered a year from now.

Originally Posted by atag012
yea your right, I know nothing about paint. So why do I need clear coat? And it doesn't look bad at all cuz the paint is fine so I dont think im going to be fixing it unless I find a good reliable place and know exactly what i need to get done.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 AM
atag012

^ Yea that line is from the flash. It is nothing, barley a scratch and can easily come out with a little bit of work. I'm going to call a previous poster and see what he has to say but thanks for the info, it is helpful to know what steps exactly.