Sponsored By:

Chirping/Squealing noise - Yes, Ive Searched

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Mr.Selfdestruct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Chirping/Squealing noise - Yes, Ive Searched

Hello Sirs,

I am a semi-proud owner of a 08 G37s. 3100 Miles. Stillen Gen 2 Intake.

The dealer sold it as having "stillen exhaust", but a day after purchasing it, I poped the hood and discovered it had stillen intake, not exhaust...another story all together...back to the problem

Over the past month, Ive been observing a rather obnoxious chirping, or squealing noise coming from my car (after it warms up). I hear it around 2500-3000 RPMs, under acceleration and deceleration, and sometimes right when the clutch is engaging at even lower rpms. Rarely, but sometimes can it be heard while revving in neutral.

I park in a parking garage each day, it sounds disgusting while driving through it (almost like a squeaky belt noise)

I took it to the dealership today and had a tech drive with me. He convinced me its the intake air turbulance causing the sustained squealing/chirping sound. I let him drive, leaned outside the car like he did...it definantly sounds like its coming from under the hood, but we couldnt take it to a garage to let him listen to it in all its...ummm....glory???.

However, after I went back to the parking garage at my apartment and heard it again I began to wonder if that truely what it is. If i only heard it under a throttle load, I would accept that its the intake and forget it, but since i hear it under deceleration as well, I wonder. And why did this sounds just start recently? Did something come loose overtime?

Has anyone else observed a noise like this? Especially intake owners? Im frusterated that such a new car sounds like a POS already, and even more so if its being caused by the intake I didnt want in the first pace. Please help me, I have a headache from reading countless threads already.

Thx in advance,

Mr.Selfdestruct
(your newest forum member)

04 WRX -> 05 TL -> 08 G37s
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Mr.Selfdestruct

just got done with some more research.

poped the hood in the garage and listened. There definantly is an intake sound.

However, I also backed the car up to the parking garage wall, and the more obnoxious, and pronounced sqeuaky sound is coming from the rear of the car (exhaust).

Im starting to feel better about things. Atleast I have ID'd two seperate sources for the unpleasant noises.

The dealer did have a stillen exhaust system on the car and took it off before selling it to me...(damn crooks). They must not have installed the stock system well, and now the exhaust hangars are rubbing...or something of that nature....

If anyone cares, Ill keep you posted after I visit the dealership again. Im confident I can re-create both sources of squeaky/chirpy sounds .
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the chirp in the rear could be that axle ping that almost all Gs have. usually happens when you accelerate from a stand still...sometimes. this sound is not a big deal.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I had a G35 JWT popcharger (intake) that would make whistling noises.. maybe your just experiencing some kind of intake noise. Theres only a few people that have the Gen 2's on their car.

Maybe the dealership could swap out a stock intake and see if that solves your problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Mr.Selfdestruct

Car is in the shop right now. Going to pick it up in a few hours and ill have my report. Its definantly not the axle ping.

Its a prolonged whistle/chirpings noise...sounds like metal on metal...very nasty sounding...embarassing to drive nasty...lol

Ill keep you posted. My ear has become very tuned in this whole process. I can distinguish now the intake sound and the sound from the rear. Looking forward to what the dealership has to say.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Mr.Selfdestruct

So i took the car in this morning. Explained exactly how to recreat the sound, and then told them Id like recreate it before leaving for work.

They said "no techs in right now, dont worry, with your detailed instructions, they should be able to fix it no prob"

Well, long story short, they didnt. When I get there, I recreate it perfectly for the tech. Says it sounds like the heat sheild is rubbing on the muffler, or that the muffler is bad...of course there wasnt enough time to fix it cause it was at the end of the day...

I hate dealerships...

Next step, just go buy an exhaust system and hope that fixes the problem
Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 PM
DreamcarG37cp

Screeching or whiteling sound above 2000rmp

Car is screeching or whistelng when I hit the gas and it goes above 2000 rpm. It does this evertime I hit the gas till it goes through about 3rd gear or so. Then I dont hear it again. Anyone have this issue ?
Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
No need to post a question in mutliple threads. I moved your other post from Newbie to Tech/General Questions.