G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Prospective buyer, questions about 2009 G37 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
l337hxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospective buyer, questions about 2009 G37 coupe?

I am currently in the market for a new car. Previously, I had my eyes on the 335i but after much debate, I backed out and got my deposit back when the car hit the lot.

Anyways, after hearing that the new 2009 G37 coupe has 7 speed automatic, I am now reconsidering.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know how much faster the 7spd G37 is compared to a 5spd auto g37?

It should be significantly faster right, after comparing the gear ratios on wikipedia...it even has better gears than the manual?

2. Is the AWD really necessary? Will it increase the handling power? I am in sunny socal if that makes any difference.

3. Is four-wheel active steer necessary (performance-wise) ?

4. What other options MUST I get as well?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
is awd necessary for ur area?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1. yes, it is faster.
2. no it is for traction. Subaru/Audi markets it as a handling improvement, but it is not.
3. no.
4. Premium is a must, sport if you like sporty, and nav if you like having it. Tech is nice, but not necessary unless you like toys.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. From what i recall, our AWD systems are not comparable to that of performance AWD systems like the Evo or GT-R. Ours are more about traction in the snow, rather than carving out corners.

3. nope, some people would even recommend against it, saying its unpredictable if you intend to track your car.

4. Premium, sport (definitely) and navi. Tech is the swivel headlights (not really necessary), active cruise control (kinda cool) and active seatbelt things.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I have seen 0-60 = 5.1 and 1/4 mile 13.7 in an AWD coupe.

That’s about 3 tenths better than the best 5AT numbers I have seen to 60 and 2 tenths better than the best 1/4 mile numbers in a 5AT that I have seen. There are some of us who have gotten 13.7s in the quarter stock at the strip.

With that said, it is still all within a relative range of each other. it is still short of 335 territory. Thus much depends on what your definition of significantly faster is. The Sedan 7AT feels noticeable quicker than the 5AT coupe but then it also has the same engine as the coupe in a lighter package. And when you are ripping through gears much quicker because of the shorter gears the car will naturally feel quicker anyhow.

AWD in this car is not for the purpose of improved performance. In fact it will only engage after there is slippage. So for inclement weather it is great but not if you want to improve lateral Gs.

4WAS improves the feel of the steering response and recovery from emergency situations. It improves rebound effort on the part of the driver. It doesn't really make the car corner better at its limits. But on mountain roads it feels as if it glides through turns. With RWD if you practice the art of throttle steering you can achieve much of the same results albeit with a little more effort.

In this car I think that it is incomplete w/o the Navi Package (which includes premium) and the Sport Package. If gives the car more of a true high tech Grand Tourer look and feel.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
cullan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Premium is a must. It has all the good stuff... sunroof, Bose, seat heaters, etc.

Sport is a preference. I prefer it.

I really like the spoiler on the rear too. I don't like the Chrome lip so it was mandatory for me (unless you get an overlay).

Navi is a luxury if you ask me. I got mine without it and am very happy. It does have a couple of cool features, but some aren't as great as they seem. The hardrive music system is not the best design. The premium pakage has the IPod interface which will allow you for the same basic functionality with an IPod if you have one. The rear backup camera is pretty cool, but is pretty unnecesary as well. If you really are going to use the navigation then I guess it's worth it. I don't need it very often so I just rely on my phone for nav maybe once a month or so.

The tech package and 4W Active Sterring seem like luxuries as well.