Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A solution to the Front Plate Debate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yacoub
also, that fold-out option is nice and all, but i'd worry i'd scrape that thing off going over a speedbump or something =P
I've had that retractable plate for the better part of a year now... it's sitting on a shelf in the garage after being destroyed by the road.

I'm working on a side project though. I'll post something up here when I've got things together.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
amarcusg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OR U COULD JUST MOVE TO A STATE THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE FRONT PLATES... lol
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
That seems like a lot of work... just put the plate on and don't worry bout it. Your G will still have everyone and their mom turning their head
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
pclement

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Really? Why do they still sell them in stores? I would have thought the state would ban them from sale if they were illegal?

My parents have it and never had a problem... hell my dad just got a ticket last week and he was not cited for having a cover.
I haven't look for them in stores lately but AFAIK they're not even supposed to sell them in Illinois.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...00050K12-610.5

I've learned from past experiences not to give law enforcement a reason to pull you over. Many years ago, when I had my '73 Dodge Charger, I was stopped by a police officer for having a dirty rear license plate. Of course that wasn't why he turned around and stopped me. It was because he saw the "Bearfinder" on my dashboard (it was tough miss that big honkin' thing).

He wrote me up for "obstructed vision", which of course was subsequently thrown out by the traffic court judge when he asked the officer what was obstructing my vision. But nonetheless it was a waste of my time to have to fight the ticket.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting reading, the cover is only illegal if it tries to distort or cover the plate, otherwise a clear cover is fine.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
pclement

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Interesting reading, the cover is only illegal if it tries to distort or cover the plate, otherwise a clear cover is fine.
You're referring to section a(2), which seems to imply a clear cover is fine. Unfortunately section a(1) states that you cannot put anything on the plate that covers any characters. Clear is included in their definition of a license plate cover so it would still be prohibited since it does in fact cover the characters on the license plate although it may not obscure them.

Section b flat out states that license plate covers are prohibited.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Blindside203

What I did was I went to autozone and picked up one of these handy little brackets for around $20 and used black zipties to put it on the grill instead of drilling... it looks pretty good in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blindside203

I can see you......lol. That does actually look pretty good, and can be removed if you wanted to which is awesome.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 AM
cesG37

I have gotten 2 tickets for no front plate on my Lotus and It will be a LONG *** TIME before I drill holes in the front of it! I actually made a bracket that attaches the license plate to the tow hook which you just screw in when you are driving (if you feel the need to). I passed by a G37 today with the license plate zip-tied to the lower left grill. Looked ****ing terrible!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:22 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i like that suction cup idea.

Im not too worried about getting pulled over for no front plate, although it does happen, im more worried about street parking. Damn meter maids are a bitch.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
cesG37

I got a parking ticket yesterday for not having my wheels turned 90 degrees towards the curb downhill! $50! WTF!!

I can't even imagine front plate fine!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
finagle69

I've finished my RE-installation of my retractable front plate.

I'll post better pictures soon, but attached is an iphone pic that's been enhanced for clarity. if you look closely enough, you'll see where it is.

don't mind the bugs please.
Attached Thumbnails A solution to the Front Plate Debate?-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Ol'G37

You can buy suction cups at craft or hobby stores. I bought mine at Michael's, in San Mateo, CA; a fairly large craft store. I believe they are nation wide. The medium size works perfect and just a buck for two (must have been on sale).

I drilled the OEM bracket out a bit to get the *** end to push inside the larger outside holes. I added a third to the upper top portion to add a little more suction power. For that third one, which has to mount out away from the bracket, I drilled a hole through the middle of the cup, fastened with a small machine bolt, and sealed it with GE Silicone window sealant. I then added a couple of black plastic ties from the OEM barcket to the lower grill, just in case it looses grip.

I've been driving with this for four days and hasn't even come loose. To get it off I push on the side of the cups with a plastic knife so not to scratch anything. You can also just slide it down until the cups clear.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 AM
finagle69

Ya Taaaaaaaa!!!!

See THIS thread.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 AM
amf25

Suction cup license place mod

This really is creative idea. Propz for coming up with it. Here are pics of the mod, super easy and will be useful keeping the meter maids happy for those unfortunate enough to live in such areas...like me.

Like originally described, suction cups from walmart, except I picked extra large ones with small pegs that actually fit right in perfectly on the predrilled holes without mods. Found them on a suction cup shower wall basket.

Plugged the suction cups into the holes, then screwed the lic plate onto the frame with short 1/2inch screws I bought to be sure they didn't reach the bumper behind.

With a light push this thing sticks onto the bumper like bees on honey. Actually gives me trouble when trying to get it off. CA cops likely won't stop cars just bc of the front plate, but meter cops in my area cite front plates when parked in meter spots. Difficulty of 1 on a scale of 10, and basically free. Later I may upgrade to the motorized flip up plate, but for now this thing rocks!

<center>

</center>

Quick Reply: A solution to the Front Plate Debate?