Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Are your kids costing me money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 PM
LightSweetCrude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimitry6
Ummmm the way you said "ARE YOUR KIDS COSTING ME MONEY" You need to change that. funny part is im most likely a better driver then you are and im 19. also the way you OLD PEOPLE cant drive make us get into accidents....and most of the time its the idiot next to you who makes a person get into an accident.!
It was a question, not a statement I think he has a right to keep it there. Old people may drive slow, and **** you off, but its because they know their limits. Not everyone your age has learned theirs.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
lakers8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he means is that he shouldnt single us out. I know hes older than most of us, how would he feel if i made a thread saying WHY ARE OLD PEOPLE STILL ON THE ROAD? Im sure he would take offense to that, just like us younger drivers are taking offense to him boldly stating that its because of us his insurance is going up.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:50 PM
LightSweetCrude

Originally Posted by lakers8
What he means is that he shouldnt single us out. I know hes older than most of us, how would he feel if i made a thread saying WHY ARE OLD PEOPLE STILL ON THE ROAD? Im sure he would take offense to that, just like us younger drivers are taking offense to him boldly stating that its because of us his insurance is going up.
I read "Why are old people still on the road?" and "Are old people still on the road?" as two very different questions. The first is implying that the discussion should be about all the reasons old people shouldn't be driving, while the latter sounds more open to both sides of the argument He also didn't capitalize it. If your kids aren't costing him money, now is your chance to say so. lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM
lakers8

Well i dont have kids, none that I know of haha. Ya your right I should rephrase the question, but it doesnt take away from my point. I know young males are the most reckless drivers, therefore they have the highest costs for insurance. That doesnt mean anyone over 25 doesnt drive recklessly, or doesnt get into accidents. So if he doesnt drive fast and doesnt get into accidents, he couldve said "Are you costing me money?". That way, it wouldve been much more of a funny thread, instead of an attack on young people.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM
gthal

funny part is im most likely a better driver then you are and im 19. also the way you OLD PEOPLE cant drive make us get into accidents....and most of the time its the idiot next to you who makes a person get into an accident.!
This attitude is why a lot of younger drivers get into more accidents! A lot of younger drivers (not all) think they are WAAAAYYYYY better drivers than they really are. Becoming a good driver has nothing to do with how fast you can drive and far more about experience. I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination (mid 30s) but I am a far better driver now than when I was 19... but when I was 19 I thought I was a great driver. Young people have a sense of invinsibility but often (not always) lack maturity and judgement. Not saying this is the case for you but it is for many.

The fact that you presume you are a better driver at 19 than the OP says a lot about attitude. And although I agree many poor drivers do also cause accidents, don't play the blame game... if you are truly a skilled and experienced driver, you don't get into situations where a dumb idiot driver can get you into trouble. In my opinion, experience is FAR more important in determining skill than a false sense of invinsibility, bravery and a belief that you are awesome just because... again, not saying this is your case... you may be a great driver, with lots of track experience, etc but that comment is reflective of the attitude of many younger drivers (myself included at that age) and is why their insurance is higher... they have more accidents because they drive more recklessly and think they are better drivers than they actually are. The stats prove it, it's not opinion... young drivers, in general, are not better and get into far more accidents (young males in particular...).
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by gthal
This attitude is why a lot of younger drivers get into more accidents! A lot of younger drivers (not all) think they are WAAAAYYYYY better drivers than they really are. Becoming a good driver has nothing to do with how fast you can drive and far more about experience. I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination (mid 30s) but I am a far better driver now than when I was 19... but when I was 19 I thought I was a great driver. Young people have a sense of invinsibility but often (not always) lack maturity and judgement. Not saying this is the case for you but it is for many.

The fact that you presume you are a better driver at 19 than the OP says a lot about attitude. And although I agree many poor drivers do also cause accidents, don't play the blame game... if you are truly a skilled and experienced driver, you don't get into situations where a dumb idiot driver can get you into trouble. In my opinion, experience is FAR more important in determining skill than a false sense of invinsibility, bravery and a belief that you are awesome just because... again, not saying this is your case... you may be a great driver, with lots of track experience, etc but that comment is reflective of the attitude of many younger drivers (myself included at that age) and is why their insurance is higher... they have more accidents because they drive more recklessly and think they are better drivers than they actually are. The stats prove it, it's not opinion... young drivers, in general, are not better and get into far more accidents (young males in particular...).
Amen brother. That post was by Dmitry6 is just silly and proves Chekov's point. He has been driving longer than the poster's PARENTS have even been alive! Jr. has had a license for probably less than 3 years at most and thinks that he is a better driver proves the point of young driver's lack of maturity and experience. Reflexes - hell yes, but not not much practical experience in real life situations which is what counts. Chekov didn't single out anyone, he made a generalization about young drivers - nobody here specifically - that is very true. Insurance statistics and his premium increase prove it. Read his post again. It was in no way any "attack" against young people, just pointing out that they cost the rest of us money. Facts are facts, don't take it personal. Old drivers can be dangerous too, but statistically they aren't killing people and causing huge amounts of property damage when they drive their '83 Buick at 27 MPH and sideswipe a guardrail like a young buck driving a GT-R off the road at 120 MPH into a tree is.

When it comes to driving skill and common sense enough to be safe, my money's on the old fart. (sorry Chekov ).
Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lakers8
I understand the annoyance towards your insurance company, but why are you blaming younger people? Are you saying older people dont crash? If you are, thats a very narrow-minded comment to make, because they are not immune to accidents. Im almost 22, ive been driving for 6 or so years, and ive never even hit a pole, let alone crashed my car. So to single out us "kids" isnt the best way to go at it.

I do agree that they should have looked at G35 data, because it is essentially the same car. Then again, theyll do anything to squeeze money out of you.
Well, you said it yourself in a subsequent post:
I know young males are the most reckless drivers, therefore they have the highest costs for insurance.
So I guess, in general, I am blaming young people, and you seem to agree. As for us older drivers, yes, our accident rates do go up a bit around 65 or so, but they’re not nearly as bad as the under 24 group.

BTW, I do not take offense regarding old people’s poor driving habits. I’ve seen it too and some of them should not drive anymore. And when I’m too old to drive I will take myself off the road. I doubt, however, if that will have any effect on young people’s insurance rates like their's do mine.

Of course there are young G37 people on this forum that are safe, diligent drivers, and they should be commended (and too often they are not). But, unfortunately, they may not be in the majority. I’ve read enough posts around here on getting out of speeding tickets, illegal mods and bragging about street race encounters to prove my point.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
elite

Heat comes to mind.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
lakers8

i understand what you are saying, i agree with you totally. I just didnt like that you grouped us all into one, instead of saying because of some young g37 drivers, my insurance has gone up. Like i said, if you had directed your statement towards everyone on the forum, in a joking way, it wouldve been better.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 PM
brynomon

I'm not going to get into it with you but bad judgement such as that used in your post is what gets younger people (under 25) get into accidents. It has nothing to do with skill. No one has ever made me get into an accident. Some have caused accidents with me but that was when I was younger and did not excercise good judgement to stay the heck back from a 70yo lady with her turn signal on for a mile.

Ummmm the way you said "ARE YOUR KIDS COSTING ME MONEY" You need to change that. funny part is im most likely a better driver then you are and im 19. also the way you OLD PEOPLE cant drive make us get into accidents....and most of the time its the idiot next to you who makes a person get into an accident.!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
lakers8,
Your point is well taken. I understand because get that too, “All old drivers are this, or that……..”
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM
elite

Illegals will raise your rates too. that's a whole other story.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
lakers8

lmao very true
Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Funny part is you're most likely not a better driver than him and your typing and reasoning skills are like a 13 year old but you're a 19 year old.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you should have rephrased your wording a little bit, not all people in that age range are dangerous drivers. I've been driving for almost five years now, and I had one accident and the driver ran a stop sign and slammed in to my driver side. I had a broken arm from the result, and the driver was in his late 70's.

Quick Reply: Are your kids costing me money?