G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

OMG!!! What a Beast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
gst19psi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fully aware of the car's redline, but it just that simple the car has no feeling of acceleration it literally feels like u have lifted ur foot off the gas 5k. This maybe the feeling to me since I owned an S2000, but even my eclipse & rx-7 didnt exhibit this feeling to me. I have always felt this way about the VQ motor even the in the G35 both rev up & no rev up motors. There is simply no go after 5k. I actually looked down @ the tach the first couple of times to make sure something wasn't wrong because I thought the car had stopped accelerating...lol...

Originally Posted by AldinG37s
can you explain? the car has another 2000 rpms before red-line?

what are you driving? AT ? or MT ? ... the thing is so responsive, if you hit the gas at 4000 rpms it jolts you into your seat and it does produce power all the way up to 7200rpms.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gst, just look at people's power bands here that have done dyno's. Even ones on other website that did reviews on this motor...

Starting from like 3.5-4k, the power stays on all the way to redline
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gst19psi
I'm fully aware of the car's redline, but it just that simple the car has no feeling of acceleration it literally feels like u have lifted ur foot off the gas 5k. This maybe the feeling to me since I owned an S2000, but even my eclipse & rx-7 didnt exhibit this feeling to me. I have always felt this way about the VQ motor even the in the G35 both rev up & no rev up motors. There is simply no go after 5k. I actually looked down @ the tach the first couple of times to make sure something wasn't wrong because I thought the car had stopped accelerating...lol...
You should probably take that car in to get looked at then.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Michelangelo

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
That's the second time you said that. I guess that is a matter of opinion as well, because for $40,000 I could get a number of cars in the 400+ hp range instead of the low 300's.
My buddy has an '09 'Vette, MSRP about the same as my G37x. Well over 400 HP in that 'Vette, but it's really an entirely different animal than the G. It's got an entirely different "purpose," so to speak, as a car.

I think the G is plenty of "beast" for what I want out of a car. It's far from slow, lots of bells and whistles, really interesting technology under the hood and it's an absolutely beautiful car. I just don't see any point in comparing it to a 'Vette or even the Lancer EVO because they're just so different in concept and execution. I think all of them are fantastic cars, I just wanted what I get from the G37.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
elite

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
My buddy has an '09 'Vette, MSRP about the same as my G37x. Well over 400 HP in that 'Vette, but it's really an entirely different animal than the G. It's got an entirely different "purpose," so to speak, as a car.

I think the G is plenty of "beast" for what I want out of a car. It's far from slow, lots of bells and whistles, really interesting technology under the hood and it's an absolutely beautiful car. I just don't see any point in comparing it to a 'Vette or even the Lancer EVO because they're just so different in concept and execution. I think all of them are fantastic cars, I just wanted what I get from the G37.

So wise....... Like a little Buddha covered in hair

Old 04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, I don't think that's it at all. I think at 4000-6000 rpm the horsepower really starts to come on and that's what I'm feeling. I know the torque curve is flat as a pancake because of the VVEL and that's really neat to see on all the dyno graphs, but I'm starting to realize it causes other issues now.

Instead of going to any rpm between 4000 and 6000 rpm in 2nd gear per your test, go to as low an rpm in 2nd gear as you can and hit it. If you stay in the throttle through the whole rpm range you can tell there is a definate pick up in acceleration around 5000 rpm. You already admitted the torque doesn't change throughout the rpm band. At 5000 rpm the engine finally started making some horsepower and the thing just takes off.

Whether or not the torque is smooth or the engine has a flat torque curve or whatever, the car is low on torque.
Have you actually tried my example?

You'll break the tires loose if you stab at the rightmost pedal had enough, assuming you have VDC off. Yes, with the sport package, you will still break the tires loose.

You agree with me that the torque curve is almost flat, but you claim to feel a definate pickup in acceleration around 5000 rpm? Any increase you feel would be a change in torque.

This car doesn't have VTEC...

I've yet to see how having 240+ ft/lbs of torque for a 7000 rpm range is 'not enough'... Remember, a 1000CC motorcycle is making 75ft/lbs of torque, and will spank you silly. A F1 car makes about 200 ft/lbs of torque, and again, same result.

Torque is twisting force. Horsepower is work (twisting force) over a period of time. Horsepower is what makes you fast (very very crude assumption, but a true one).

I give me two 2 foot long 2x4's and I'll give you 300 ft/lbs of torque. How fast do you think I can move a 3700 lb G?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

So you're telling me that the obvious pick up in speed at 5000 rpm is because of the flat torque curve?

Or I could put it this way:

So why is there such a drastic change in acceleration at 5000 rpm when the torque curve is flat?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Achilles

That's the second time you said that. I guess that is a matter of opinion as well, because for $40,000 I could get a number of cars in the 400+ hp range instead of the low 300's.
True that. I'm including everything else about the G and not just the engine. (that's my bad).
Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Keng

What you "feel" is not scientific proof, unless you came back with machine measured reading that the G force is less above 5K RPM. Chance are your body is already in motion therefore you feel less pull.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
So you're telling me that the obvious pick up in speed at 5000 rpm is because of the flat torque curve?

Or I could put it this way:

So why is there such a drastic change in acceleration at 5000 rpm when the torque curve is flat?
The pickup is from increased horsepower at 5000rpm vs lower rpms. The pickup seems less obvious as you get higher because the torque begins to drop and the horsepower plateaus as you approach redline.

It's not very drastic IMO...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Hmmmm, maybe I'm not saying things right or maybe I'm just reading everything wrong (which is more likely the case because I'm not that smart).

What I'm saying is, the car does not seem to have much power under 5000 rpm. 5000 rpm and up, the car is very responsive (pulls hard, fast, quick, strong). The "increased horsepower at 5000rpm vs lower rpms", is exactly what my arguement was. That and the fact the car doesn't have much torque. If the car had more torque, there wouldn't be a sudden surge in power at 5000 rpm.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Keng

Torque 270 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm
There!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 PM
iceaffect1

Is there a section on this forum with only official g37 owners?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 PM
last lemming

I wish people would stop saying thinks like "any car with 300+" hp is fast. That's just silly, what you need to look at is power to weight. 300 hp in our cars is NOT fast, just quick, our cars are too heavy for the power they have.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
elite

Quick Reply: OMG!!! What a Beast!!!