aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
yes......
Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Actaully I was down in the Florida Keys with a buddy of mine and we pulled of a quite long streteched road for him to shoot pictures of me with my new G and I decided to let him drive it while I would shoot pictures.

Well he drove of past me like an 1/8th of a mile and decided to turn around and come back. Well when he stoped doing a U turn to come back the car would not start. I had to run down the street to get my car out of the road LOL!

So from what I know they can take it but as soon as they come to a complete stop,(I imagine safety reassons) the car will stall.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Weird, my cousin drove mine and i was in a different car, following... but i had the key. He drove for a few miles, no problem?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM
xyz
Registered Member

I don't think it will shut off once you come to a complete stop, at least mine didn't. Just lock the car when you step away like a previous poster said.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just fire it up and lock it, you can either press the button on the handle from the outside, or click lock on the key fob itself. As an example, I had to take a super fierce **** one night, so I pulled over with my GF in the car, when I hoped out she got into the driver seat drove away from me which removed my cover. Honking the horn and flashing the lights to draw attention to me. I thought the car would shut off with me outside, but she drove around the lot just fine without the FOB on her.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
^ Weird, my cousin drove mine and i was in a different car, following... but i had the key. He drove for a few miles, no problem?

Maybe its a distance thing? Probably in the Owners Manual or on this forum somwhere.

Too lazy to look LOL!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Keng

The key has to be indoor to be able to be detected by the system.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Well he drove of past me like an 1/8th of a mile and decided to turn around and come back. Well when he stoped doing a U turn to come back the car would not start. I had to run down the street to get my car out of the road LOL!

So from what I know they can take it but as soon as they come to a complete stop,(I imagine safety reassons) the car will stall.
My experience is that the car will continue to run with the IK gone even when coming to a complete stop. Perhaps your friend accidently stalled the car for another reason and didn’t want to admit it to you.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Originally Posted by Chekov
My experience is that the car will continue to run with the IK gone even when coming to a complete stop. Perhaps your friend accidently stalled the car for another reason and didn’t want to admit it to you.
+1 This car will not turns itself off whether its moving or parked if there is no intelligent key in proximity. like i said, I routinely start the car and lock it via the fob and walk away.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Actaully I was down in the Florida Keys with a buddy of mine and we pulled of a quite long streteched road for him to shoot pictures of me with my new G and I decided to let him drive it while I would shoot pictures.

actually sounds like your friend stalled it like you can with any MT. Maybe he just wasn't used to your clutch. I can assure you there is not a "safety" feature with the key being out of proximity. It would be too much of a liability for Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
I do this almost every day, its the best thing about our keyfobs.
Yes, and you cant get back in the car if you've left the FOB somewhere, so everyone should do this to avoid getting stuck somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

The car will not stall or stop unless you shut it off. Read the manual; your buddy must have stalled it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by htownboy
Yes, and you cant get back in the car if you've left the FOB somewhere, so everyone should do this to avoid getting stuck somewhere else.
That would suck. i have mine clipped to my jeans with a carabiner, so i always have it with me. But anyways, if you locked the car and turned it off, and then left the fob somewhere, isn't it the same thing?

What i'm saying is: i use the keyfob to lock the car for example when i'm running inside the house because i forgot something, but don't want to turn the engine off just to turn it back on within the next minute or two.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by htownboy
The car will not stall or stop unless you shut it off. Read the manual; your buddy must have stalled it.
Guess he did. Thanks for looking that up in the manual.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
The car will keep running and can be driven off. It will virtually impossible to restart the car unless the IK is present. If a thief was to steal, he/she would be good until they turn off the car. Just lock your door as you walk away and it should be a problem.

Quick Reply: Driving without intelligent key?