Sponsored By:

if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
This ties into my thought. I don't think a 6MT owner would ever admit to regretting their decision, even if they couldn't stand it. Think about the repercussions, lol.
I would if it was a true nightmare to drive. After getting used to it, I find it is just a little temperamental. I have driven several manual cars and ALL have their weird issues so it all boils down to what can you live with

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
If one questioned which transmission they'd rather have then they never wanted a stick in the first place. A manual connoisseur will always drive a manual unless their leg/arm falls off, or they die.
Agreed. So much so for me in fact, my Galant that I got rid of for the coupe was automatc. Hated that trans so much that I swapped it to 5 speed. So yeah...I am a manual fan

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I would take a 911 C4 S with a manual over a GTR if I had that kinda cash to burn
Porsche fan here as well. And I love em partially because they are one of the few true sports cars left that offer a manual!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
I'm not sure why, but there is enjoyment in a rowing through the gears of a manual transmission. With that being said, I didn't really like it as much in the G as I did in an a car such as the STI. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the G is a luxury tourer and the STI is a much more bare bone car. In the G its nice to sit back and enjoy the quality, while in the STI you want to see if it's possible to to drive fast enough so you can escape the POS interior.
The G definitely shifts differently than other sports car and I think it is because it's a luxury sport car as well.

One thing that really helped was the clutch spring from Jsolo on the forum. It feels much better then the stock spring. I was going to to get the RJM clutch assembly and may still, but now I can put it off. I thought I was awful at driving this car, but changed the spring it I can shift it like a dream now
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I love my 6mt (with RJM assembly). Is it the best manual I've ever driven? No, absolutely not. In fact, I would rate it slightly on the poor end of the spectrum. The gear leaver isn't a crisp as I would like and the pedal feel, even with the RJM part, isn't the best. That being said, I absolutely can't stand automatics. I could deal with paddle shifters if they were fast, but the 7 speed on our cars is anything but quick.

In short, I'm not under any illusion that our 6mt is a great unit, it's not, but I still MUCH prefer it to the AT.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM
ang37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My IPL G37 6MT is a blast to drive, can't imagine getting this car in an auto. If my commute involved stop and go traffic for hours a day, then i would probably get a little commuter auto but still keep my 6MT for Fridays and Weekends. I've also tried paddle shifters and didn't enjoy them.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Both my 2011 IPL and my 2011 307z Sport were autos and I had no regrets what so ever. Having test driven the Manuals I couldn't believe what a crapy shifting MT they had. I wanted a Nismo so bad but even after many hours in a 6MT just couldn't stand it. Like I have said a million times, my 78 B210 had a far better MT than newer Nissans 6mt. I like manuals but they have to be a good one.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I regretted my 6MT for the first few months because I learned to drive stick in it.

A couple years later and I still had issues with how temperamental/touchy the clutch engagement was. The helper spring definitely helped a bit, but the RJM clutch pedal took it to another level. I still have issues with how the car shifts sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad anymore. I have to admit that driving an automatic car is really boring to me now.

My dad has an automatic G, and while it is definitely more refined than my car, manually shifting and downshifting is a real pleasure, especially with a custom exhaust. The paddle shifters are not very enjoyable due to how delayed they usually work, and you basically only get to stomp on the gas to get any fun out of it.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an auto and i regret getting it, but then i get stuck in traffic and thank myself for getting an auto.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Both my 2011 IPL and my 2011 307z Sport were autos and I had no regrets what so ever. Having test driven the Manuals I couldn't believe what a crapy shifting MT they had. I wanted a Nismo so bad but even after many hours in a 6MT just couldn't stand it. Like I have said a million times, my 78 B210 had a far better MT than newer Nissans 6mt. I like manuals but they have to be a good one.
Have you tried one with a short throw shifter?

The G 6mt is better than my Legacy GT and Mazda 6s, but not as good as the T56 in my f-body.

I'm going to install the MTEC shifter spring and some fresh synthetic transmission fluid soon and see how that feels. I would rather drive a poor manual than an automatic though
Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
gaithermr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having test driven a 6MT G37 late last year and being decidedly unimpressed with the action and feel of the unit I was very content to go with the AT.

In my mind the G37 is a very refined sort of "muscle" car and that shifter and clutch just did not do it justice. My G37 is my daily driver, to and from work and all the other mundane places I go on regular basis. The AT works well enough and I think fits the character of the car better.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
ratherunique85

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first post! woohoo.. lol i recently purchased a g37 auto.. and although i agree that a 6mt is a lot more fun to drive, the practicality of the auto is good. i spend a lot of time in my car for work so the auto helps with multitasking (drinking coffee and snacking lol) also trips to san francisco also makes the auto more convenient. definitely agree that 6mt would be more fun but decide on what best fits your needs.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
i had a m/t in my last car and it was a lot of fun being able to control the car, but the clutch always sucked in traffic.

I wanted the 6m/t but ended up with a 5at and do not regret it one bit. I throw it in DS and then manually shift up and down without the hassle of holding a clutch in traffic. its amazing. i typically drive and manually shift. I only use D if i'm trying to be REALLY cheap about gas and mileage.

the auto tranny shifts faster than any driver would. also DS will shift perfectly, exactly at redline EVERY TIME. driver will not.

Technology now a days makes shifting with a clutch obsolete., however the intricacy from an auto tranny vs manual sucks for repairs and extra weight
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
This thread is ultimately full of people justifying what they purchased and regretting what they didn't.