Sponsored By:

if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharp_cai
AT is for grown up man using for daily drive, 6MT is for the people who wanna show how faster they are, most likely are youngsters.
I wouldn't go that far. When you think about it just having a Sport/GT performance oriented coupe- especially with "S" trim- could somewhat imply that you want to show how much faster you are. None of us bought this car for its practicality. Most bought it because we enjoy driving and occssionally spirited driving- be it spontaneous or at a race course. For the most part I think that it all boils down to preference.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted the 6MT so bad when I got the G as I have always preferred manual trannies in my cars but the G's weak clutch and near inability to drive smoothly have really soured me on the 6MT. I think now that I would enjoy my car alot more with the AT and that is something I have never said about any car I've ever owned. The tranny itself is ok with positive shifts and hardly any grinding through the gears but the clutch is easily the worst I have ever owned.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 AM
adam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
I have been absolutely guaranteed that Infiniti will NEVER release a manual transmission AWD coupe in the G model line (they may release one as a stand-alone high-end performance car, but most likely that'll be a dual-clutch automatic).

The statistics will show you that roughly 60% of all G-coupes sold are automatic transmissions. Of that 40% with manual transmissions, more than 80% are sold by warmer climate dealerships. So roughly 8% of all G coupes that roll out of the factory are 6MT's heading to cold climate areas. Assuming half of those cars are being bought by "enthusiasts" who prefer RWD anyway, Infiniti has to estimate that less than 4% of all G coupes sold in the U.S. would be AWD 6MT models...

In 2008, Infiniti sold 19,212 G coupes. Using my estimates, they would sell roughly 768 6MT AWD coupes if they offered it. Audi and BMW both sold just shy of 100,000 A4's and 3-series in 2008, respectively. They are no longer a niche market, but high-volume car makers capable of selling tens of thousands of AWD coupes and sport sedans. The G coupe is still a niche car, statistically speaking. Infiniti would lose boatloads of money if they made a $50K car specifically aimed at 800 buyers. Only GM can get away with that kind of business model.

I understand what you are sayign but you are basing this on the fact that currently there are no AWD manuals. Im sure most of the people on here would choose an AWD version over a RWD version whether its auto or manual(I would definately choose AWD over RWG becuase I live in Chicago). We have to wait and see what the stats are on the g37x. I'm sure there will be thousands sold so there would be thousands of manuals probably sold as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I regret getting AT after coming from manual 350z
Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
6MT here...no regrets. It is a little challenge to drive smoothly but its doable. If you haven't gotten it yet I call user error. LoL. I drive mine pretty much daily, in traffic sometimes, and I don't regret it at all
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
6MT here...no regrets. It is a little challenge to drive smoothly but its doable. If you haven't gotten it yet I call user error. LoL. I drive mine pretty much daily, in traffic sometimes, and I don't regret it at all
Check out Jsolo clutch return spring group buy. It takes 5 minutes to do and makes the car exponentially easier to drive smoothly.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NOT even a lil bit (7AT)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
If one questioned which transmission they'd rather have then they never wanted a stick in the first place. A manual connoisseur will always drive a manual unless their leg/arm falls off, or they die.

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 05-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
If one questioned which transmission they'd rather have then they never wanted a stick in the first place. A manual connoisseur will always drive a manual unless their leg/arm falls off, or they die.
This ties into my thought. I don't think a 6MT owner would ever admit to regretting their decision, even if they couldn't stand it. Think about the repercussions, lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I love my 6MT. I live in the Boston area and deal with traffic almost daily, I keep the car rolling 90% of the time, unless some ahole cuts me off cause of the gap I leave. I think driving in traffic is fun and driving manual is fun. I like having the extra control of the car. Especially when it rains, I keep it in 5th on the highway for extra control sometimes.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Sharp_cai
AT is for grown up man using for daily drive, 6MT is for the people who wanna show how faster they are, most likely are youngsters.
Not at all

My mother is 70, she has a sports car and rives manual, because in her words, "that's what you get when you get a sports car. An automatic kind of defeats the purpose of the sports car."

It's a personal preference. Personally, I think getting a sports car in auto is a waste and people who do that...buy it as a status symbol rather than a sports car or like the look or something other than the driving experience. Not everyone and that's just how I feel, I'm sure it's not right 100% of the time. The kid who runs my car club has a supercharged G35 and its an auto, I think it's a waste, but he like sit and that's all that matters, not my opinion. (so please don't tell me how I'm wrong, I know this isn't true 100% of the time, but it's my opinion and how I feel about drivers of an automatic sports car, it's just a waste).

I had a kid come in and want to buy a 370Z NISMO, but couldn't because he doesn't know how to drive manual and the NISMO's don't come auto. So he got the Touring model instead. He's kind of a joke around here at the dealership. If you want a sports car, learn how to drive manual. I do feel the G is different, it's a luxury sport vehicle, not a true sports car, like a Vette, or 370
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Vance67
Not at all

My mother is 70, she has a sports car and rives manual, because in her words, "that's what you get when you get a sports car. An automatic kind of defeats the purpose of the sports car."

It's a personal preference. Personally, I think getting a sports car in auto is a waste and people who do that...buy it as a status symbol rather than a sports car or like the look or something other than the driving experience. Not everyone and that's just how I feel, I'm sure it's not right 100% of the time. The kid who runs my car club has a supercharged G35 and its an auto, I think it's a waste, but he like sit and that's all that matters, not my opinion. (so please don't tell me how I'm wrong, I know this isn't true 100% of the time, but it's my opinion and how I feel about drivers of an automatic sports car, it's just a waste).

I had a kid come in and want to buy a 370Z NISMO, but couldn't because he doesn't know how to drive manual and the NISMO's don't come auto. So he got the Touring model instead. He's kind of a joke around here at the dealership. If you want a sports car, learn how to drive manual. I do feel the G is different, it's a luxury sport vehicle, not a true sports car, like a Vette, or 370
^^^

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

GTR must not be a sports car... no manual

Last edited by Ryne; 05-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Ryne
^^^

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

lol, I know, it kills me. That is the exception to my rule.

I'm thinking about it for my next toy, but it kills me that I can't get it in manual, so debating the R8, but I really don't like how unreliable Audi's can be, so I got back to the GT-R, but I hate triptronic, I'm sure I could over look the fact that it's an auto for a GT-R, but...not sure...but I probably will over look it
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Vance67
lol, I know, it kills me. That is the exception to my rule.

I'm thinking about it for my next toy, but it kills me that I can't get it in manual, so debating the R8, but I really don't like how unreliable Audi's can be, so I got back to the GT-R, but I hate triptronic, I'm sure I could over look the fact that it's an auto for a GT-R, but...not sure...but I probably will over look it
I'm not sure why, but there is enjoyment in a rowing through the gears of a manual transmission. With that being said, I didn't really like it as much in the G as I did in an a car such as the STI. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the G is a luxury tourer and the STI is a much more bare bone car. In the G its nice to sit back and enjoy the quality, while in the STI you want to see if it's possible to to drive fast enough so you can escape the POS interior.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
^^^

I would take a 911 C4 S with a manual over a GTR if I had that kinda cash to burn

Quick Reply: if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa