Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bought a 5AT and would do it again. well maybe get the 7AT next time around
Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 6MT and sometimes I wish I had an auto, but most of the time I am happy with the 6MT.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I looked everywhere for an auto and could not find one. I had to settle for a 6mt.

I would trade someone straight up for an auto if I could.
Wurd! When I got my 6MT the dealership had 33 G37's, only three of them 6MT.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
fcarpio

Actually all my cars have always been 6mt. Never had an auto.

Only wanted the auto so my fiance could drive. She really loves the car but cant drive manual, has no real desire to learn.
Well, that is really good for you. Just get the 6MT and keep her out of the driving seat. Works like a charm for me, and I get to drive my wife's BMW.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
SteveBKNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked everywhere for an auto and could not find one. I had to settle for a 6mt.

I would trade someone straight up for an auto if I could.
You're kidding right?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
SteveBKNY

Originally Posted by joey_v
Auto makes me snooze, I feel like all I'm doing is steering the car.

With the 6MT, I feel much more connected and more in control of the car's forward motion.

I could care less how much traffic I ran into each day, I would still go with a stick. I love driving stick even if you consider the fact that I do 1/2 of my driving in the city - Chicago Loop area. With a MT, I feel that if I'm in traffic, I zone out and my feet and hands do their thing - I rarely have to think about the stick. But when I am pushing the car, I focus a bit more and I actually am more in tune with how I'm shifting the car.

I guess with an auto I'm always zoned out and perpetually steering the car. With a manual, I feel that I zone out and "steer" when I need to (like in traffic) but I have the ability to focus in, enjoy the shifting, and revel in the extra complexity of driving a 6MT car when driving a bit more spiritedly.

I would NEVER trade my MT for an auto.

And that goes the same for the next car. No paddles for me.
+1 Thats exactly how I feel
Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM
DashKid
Banned

I like my 6mt and wouldn't trade it for AT even though I'm stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 hours almost everyday. Still love driving it and also help alot at the drag strip =).
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

Its kind of surprising that I assumed most people who joined any car forum were car "enthusiasts", yet so many of them seem to avoid the manual transmission because of the "horrors" of traffic and hills. I am not trying to be an AHole...but unless you are a senior citizen or have some past injury, you probably just suck at driving manual.

Like they say, you don't drive a car with an auto..you steer it. I am in traffic all the time, with hills everywhere and I will never regret choosing 6MT over auto. Besides, with an auto in traffic you get tired, with a 6MT you are always doing something.

On those days where you are just cruising around..nothing beats a manual transmission, I don't care if they make a 10AT with ferrari paddle shifters. Something about people driving an auto especially in a GT/sports car makes me cringe inside.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by stylez09
Its kind of surprising that I assumed most people who joined any car forum were car "enthusiasts", yet so many of them seem to avoid the manual transmission because of the "horrors" of traffic and hills. I am not trying to be an AHole...but unless you are a senior citizen or have some past injury, you probably just suck at driving manual.

Like they say, you don't drive a car with an auto..you steer it. I am in traffic all the time, with hills everywhere and I will never regret choosing 6MT over auto. Besides, with an auto in traffic you get tired, with a 6MT you are always doing something.

On those days where you are just cruising around..nothing beats a manual transmission, I don't care if they make a 10AT with ferrari paddle shifters. Something about people driving an auto especially in a GT/sports car makes me cringe inside.
I drove mt for the past 16 years and trust me, Im good at it, I dont drive like a senior citizen and Im a car enthusiast also. I purchased a auto for a few reason, 1st, the auto is alot smoother than the 6spd 2nd Im getting old, kinda tired of shifting every 5-10 secs. 3rd, its nice to enjoy a soda or an ice cream while driving, 4th I dont want to look like the dude next to me shifting like a dumb arzz in a civic, your driving a luxury car, have the class. 5th, my girl dont drive stick and if theres any emergency, we would be out of luck, hey you never know what can happen. imagine going rollerskating and you break your leg, guess where your cars gonna be left at for a while? By the way, I never use the paddle shifters, coming from a person that knows how to drive manual, the paddle shifter is gay if you ask me, I rather Infiniti knock off $500 than have that useless feature
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first bought mine, I was determined that I would be getting an Auto because of all the traffic that I had to deal with the aggressive driving that I do, I was sure that I would be replacing a clutch every year. But now that I live back in Texas with all my old friends and fellow car enthusiasts, I really miss that stick! However, you cant beat a computer doing it all for you down the track, but I would trade it for the thrill of slamming that stick into gear.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paddle shifters are worthless. I would rather shift manually with the auto stick. Also, just as soon as I can find/get a higher stall converter or get a core replacement, I am so getting it.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 PM
daveindubai

Depends what conditions you drive in

have an auto and love it. When I am lazy (drive 260 k's a day to/from work so it happens) I am in the big D.

After 2 months of owing it started to fool around with the paddles - awesome - I get what people meant by drive it like you stole it - I know it's not completely a manual feel but bloody close.

Depends on how far, how long, traffic conditions - if you are zipping through traffic and do less then 100 k's a day and want top get the awesome kick when it the gas go manual - -else auto.

Have driven here in Dubai in CRAP peak hour (lasts 3 hours non stop) traffic and would never do manual.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Sweeet P

Originally Posted by DrJones
I do not regret my 6MT however if given the choice between 6MT and 7AT I would choose 7AT.
Same here. I went with the 6MT mostly because I had a problem with the auto being a 5spd while other brands were at a 6spd. Don't get me wrong...I totally enjoy the manual and traffic does not bother me at all. However, if I had the 7AT as an option, I would take that. In fact, just had a 4 door G37 7AT 2 days ago while my car was getting an oil change...7AT is quick as #$%! and where I max out at about 26mpg on the freeway....I was getting 30mpg with the 7AT! Never seen my 6MT display 30mpg...ever.

In addition, AT just seems to fit more with the G imo. However, If I had the Z, a true sports car...no question....manual! BUT....I'm sure if I had synchro rev on my G....my post would be totally different =)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
stylez09
Registered Member

But don't you auto guys hate it when people ask you "auto or stick" and you respond with "auto" and they they give you that "Oh....".
Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stylez09
But don't you auto guys hate it when people ask you "auto or stick" and you respond with "auto" and they they give you that "Oh....".
I haven't really had anyone ask me that, but if they did, I wouldn't mind. I didn't buy the car for them, nor do these people drive my car everyday. I never understood the big debate about MT vs AT. I've had my share of MT cars and wanted something I could just lay back and cruise.

Quick Reply: if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa