Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Gsanta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
I agree WTF? I'm guessing this is his first MT and he doesn't know how to drive one...

To the OP... MT is fun to drive but sucks in traffic and hills. I think if you have long driving conditions from/to work or school or whatever you spend your days doing and you hit traffic a lot then AUTO might be best. I'm a first MT G owner since August 08 and I hated hills and traffic, I still do hate them both (mostly hills) but they have grown on to me over the months... traffic is like nothing now but I still hate it lol.. but hills I really hate since I drive throught NYC every couple of weeks and people ride up my bumper so it puts force on me to make sure I don't roll back.. but it's still growing on me and became easier since last summer.
yea i dont have to drive through any traffic really....i live in a 2.2 square mile town with hardly any traffic going through and im gonna take about a 15-20 minute ride to college so traffic isnt really an issue. Now hills are a problem where i live....hills full of pot holes everywhere i must add. But thats what you get when you live in bergen county
Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually all my cars have always been 6mt. Never had an auto.

Only wanted the auto so my fiance could drive. She really loves the car but cant drive manual, has no real desire to learn.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
TJHG37S

Always had a MT for the 8 cars I've owned, never regretted one of em! Manual FTW!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not regret my 6MT however if given the choice between 6MT and 7AT I would choose 7AT.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
bunluvsvw

I have an auto and I kinda regret not getting the 6 mt Im actually interested in trading in my 08 fully loaded with 3100 miles for a 6mt. the auto is fast and everything but I actually want a 6mt so I can kinda connect to the car when I drive. It feels like the car listens to the way you wanna drive instead of an automatic where it kinda control you. I just cant justify the ridiculous trade in value for my car, thats the only reason why Im sticking with my automatic for now. But I really want to get a 09 6mt 4dr rwd, not awd
Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
amarcusg37

I have and auto and regret it so much that I am seriously considering ending my lease early or swapping ....
Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
kingkong79

Originally Posted by JuztaJ
If your not in a city with traffic more than half of the day i say go with 6mt.. im in miami and any of the other miami guys here will tell you we get plenty of traffic and 6mt in traffic isnt too fun so i went with auto.
I'm in Miami and that's the reason I've been driving auto all my life. So much traffic here. It seems like nobody is working down here because the streets are busy almost every hour of the day. Also the people down here don't know how to drive (no signaling, going 30 in a 40, going 50 on the highway, stopping in the middle of the road because they don't know what they are doing). Also the city planners have no clue, some places you have traffic lights every other block and they are not in sync.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
People who actually enjoy driving a MT are not fazed by traffic, hills, or multitasking.

IMHO, if you're debating between MT and Automatic, you're more into Automatic cars.
This hit it perfectly.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
SirFer

^ Agreed. If it's even a question I'd go with auto. For me I knew all along that I wanted 6MT. I live in the mountains of NC during the school year and hills were a pain at first but now that I'm used to them they're fine. Except in those situations where somebody sits right on your bumper and leaves not even .5" for you to roll back, that can get scary. But other than that I love it. I've never been in big city crazy traffic but in the traffic I've been in around accidents on the highway and such it's not exactly fun, but it's never been so bad that I sit there wishing I had an auto.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I regret buying the G.............

.............and not a GT-R. ;D

But in all seriousness, this G is my first stick car and I honestly have to say that I prefer it over an auto. Madmax hit it perfectly.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
ElijahP

I live in a small city where there is nothing but traffic & im settling for an auto because all the cars ive owned were manual and its time for a change.
Add to that I play soccer and after practice I like to just cruise home and let my left foot rest.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
JuztaJ

Originally Posted by kingkong79
I'm in Miami and that's the reason I've been driving auto all my life. So much traffic here. It seems like nobody is working down here because the streets are busy almost every hour of the day. Also the people down here don't know how to drive (no signaling, going 30 in a 40, going 50 on the highway, stopping in the middle of the road because they don't know what they are doing). Also the city planners have no clue, some places you have traffic lights every other block and they are not in sync.

Same here never owned a mt due to traffic. but not only down here d you have to worry about traffic on highway and city street, but you also have to deal with a lot of people who for some reason dont know how to drive... and traffic lights are a stop and go because they for sure arent in sync.

Just imagine driving a mt in the middle of new york city guys.. PITA and driving down collins when busy.. pfft id rather walk than drive a mt
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
AndrewDDS

I'll be another odd-ball here. I would gladly trade my 6MT in for an automatic, any day of the week!!

While I was dead-set on buying a 6MT when I bought the car, I was making an emotional decision based on the visions of heel-toe driving out in the country on a beautiful sunny day. And pushing my car to the limit while blowing away at stoplights, and running the shifter through the gates while throwing my car around sharp corners on beautiful roads...

I forgot to realize that 90% of my driving is commuting to work, when all I want to do is drink my coffee, listen to some music, and get the hell out of traffic and away from stoplights. I bought a car perfectly suited to about 10% of my driving needs, while making the other 90% of my daily driving all the more annoying and making drinking my morning coffee all the more difficult.

If you're a casual commuter, get the automatic. If you have a daily driver and this will be your toy car, then get the 6MT. Don't make a stupid emotional decision like I did. If you do, however, then don't blame me when you spill your first morning coffee in your lap because you were too tired to make a clean 1st-2nd shift.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
the-moss

I'm with the oddballs. I slightly regret not getting an auto. I got the 6mt G as a luxurious DD that I could use for occasional track use to replace my Evo. Once it became clear that the car is not suited for the track in stock form I bought an S2000CR to go along with it.

So now I have my S2000 when I want to go out and play, and my G37 for when I want to go somewhere in comfort and style. The only way I think my G could be equipped better for it's purpose is if it had an automatic transmission.

FWIW I have owned 11 cars in my life and every one has been a manual.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 AM
joey_v

Auto makes me snooze, I feel like all I'm doing is steering the car.

With the 6MT, I feel much more connected and more in control of the car's forward motion.

I could care less how much traffic I ran into each day, I would still go with a stick. I love driving stick even if you consider the fact that I do 1/2 of my driving in the city - Chicago Loop area. With a MT, I feel that if I'm in traffic, I zone out and my feet and hands do their thing - I rarely have to think about the stick. But when I am pushing the car, I focus a bit more and I actually am more in tune with how I'm shifting the car.

I guess with an auto I'm always zoned out and perpetually steering the car. With a manual, I feel that I zone out and "steer" when I need to (like in traffic) but I have the ability to focus in, enjoy the shifting, and revel in the extra complexity of driving a 6MT car when driving a bit more spiritedly.

I would NEVER trade my MT for an auto.

And that goes the same for the next car. No paddles for me.

Quick Reply: if you have an auto do you regret not getting a 6mt or vice versa