Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

7at

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
7at

Guys after all we bought the brand new g37 5AT and this year the infiniti update thier g37 to a 7AT..

some of people say that 5AT is better and some of them say 7AT is better.. so guys please dont say the 5AT is better just because its ur car.. well maybe 5AT "IS" better. who knows?? so i wanna ask u guys.. if 5AT is better, why? and if 7AT is better, why?

i believe some of u wil say that 5AT have less wieght than the 7AT, but how come?? its same ****..

and i believe that some of you will say that 7AT have closer ratio..

lol u guys are making me confused so please say which one is better (with a reason)
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the extra 2 gears....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 7AT has more aggressive lower gears ratios, and the higher gears helps slightly with the mpg.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

It's all hype dude:

Hitchhiker: You heard of this thing, the 8-Minute Abs?

Ted Stroehmann: Yeah, sure, 8-Minute Abs. Yeah, the excercise video.

Hitchhiker: Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 7... Minute... Abs.

Ted Stroehmann: Right. Yes. OK, alright. I see where you're going.

Hitchhiker: Think about it. You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?

Ted Stroehmann: I would go for the 7.

Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.

Ted Stroehmann: You guarantee it? That's -- how do you do that?

Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".

Ted Stroehmann: That's right. That's -- that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?

[Hitchhiker convulses]

Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.

Ted Stroehmann: That -- good point.

Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Keng

The MPG wouldn't increase if it's just hype, unless Nissan is lying.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
SilverBullet

The mpg might increase if your 7th gear cruises lower than the 5th gear in the 5at. But it wont make much difference. Nothing to tradge in the 5at for.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Keng

Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Case in point, 7 AT is better than the 5 AT, assuming both are equal in terms of build quality/reliability.

The 7 AT is capable of faster acceleration times due to more aggressive gearing at every single gear and still has the absolute lowest gear ratio for top gear, which is essential for mpg, especially at highway speeds.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7at

Mechanically there is definately a difference (see above posts), seat of the pants there is barely any difference and the rest is all hype. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-iHjdUDlwg
Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I've done this review more times than I care to count. Please do a search and you will see this debated over and over again. Then go to a dealership that still has an 08 left (running out of time) and drive both an 08 and an 09. Use both the Drive Sport mode and normal mode. Do it with the VDC on and off. Do both cars back to back. Only you can say what you prefer. On paper the 7 speed should be faster off the line because of the gearing. Launching the car with your own butt in the drivers seat shows the 5 speed launches way harder. The 7 speed is quite a bit heavier according to the specs and I don't know why. The fact that it has to shift more is obviously going to slow it down, but it is also geared for better gas milage. A lot of guys hated the 5 speed from way back and the 7 speed is new and great. My girlfriend said the 7 speed killed the "sport" part of the car. If you're looking for personal opinions, I think the 7 speed is great for gas milage and luxury. The 5 speed is more sporty.

Seat of the pants difference was more than noticable.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
JuztaJ

I dont think they would be the same, nor would 7AT be worse. Infiniti wouldnt come out with a transmission worse than the previous one or something thats the same thing from what they have, they would only come out with something better. Therefore the 7AT is better
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
SFG37S

Would I like 7 gears? Well I suppose so.

Am I disappointed with only 5? Hell no!

Do I wish I would of went with 6mt. Yeah they are fun but, Been there done that and still have a stick to drive when the urge arises.

Bottom line? These cars are fun to drive no matter which way you cut it.

Time to get over it and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
w0ady

i can only compare the 5at g35 with the 7at g37 so cant really say much. i know i waited for the 7at with the 09s because i felt it would be a better trans due to the lower gearing and overdrive gears.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
bunluvsvw

7 speed has better gearing, I agree, but 7 speed also has 2 extra shift, and if you ask me, I think the Infiniti shifts really slow automatically, Just my 2 cents. Unless the new 7 at shifts better, which is not impossible cause i might be feeling the big drop in rpm between shifts and with the 7 spd auto, it might be shifting at a closer ratio, making it feel faster between shifts.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

All I can say is this, I've used the 7AT plenty of times and was in a canyon run with a G37 Sedan this weekend...I was running in the front with the coupes on the canyon run...so the acceleration is there...also, in 7th gear, 75 mph is around 2300rpm...that's stupid low so Fuel mileage is great...1st and 2nd gear are so high and tight that you won't even notice them...for sure, the 7AT in the G37 gets to 60 in the low 5 second range...

Quick Reply: 7at