Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driving the 6MT more smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
SteveBKNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Yes, it is. Keep in mind, a 6->4 shift will still load the synchros with almost double the load of a 5->4 shift.

You don't even have to clutch in when you shift down.

You can just Clutch, shift 6 -> 5 -> 4, Clutch out.

I dunno wat you're talking about, but i rev match from 5th to 2nd all the time for instant HP response and it goes into second gear like butter. One sign that the syncrhos are lined up is the ease at which you are able to put it in gear. If you let the engine idle at 50mph and try to go in second you'll feel that resistense. Rev match the gear and the synchros line up. Even if u dont skip a gear, if you dont rev match you'll abuse your tranny a little.
5th Gear--> Clutch--> rev to 6.5K---> shift to 2nd--> release clutch.
Shifting up is the same, slight hesitation as the rpm's fall to rev match for the new ratio going up a gear lines up the synchros better and gives a smoother shift.
Cant do that SHlT with an auto
Old 04-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Assuming that the clutch is disengaged when you rev the engine, the input to the transmission isn't being spun up. That means that your syncro is working hard. It will help smooth things out on the release of the clutch but won't protect the gearbox.

Of course if the clutch is only partially disengaged then it will help (like shifting without a clutch).

Think about the mechanics of what's going on here.

You would have to double clutch in order to spin up the input to the tranny.
That's a long shift from 5 to 2... I'd never do it in any car I have.

Last edited by Riley; 04-03-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by SteveBKNY

I dunno wat you're talking about, but i rev match from 5th to 2nd all the time for instant HP response and it goes into second gear like butter. One sign that the syncrhos are lined up is the ease at which you are able to put it in gear. If you let the engine idle at 50mph and try to go in second you'll feel that resistense. Rev match the gear and the synchros line up. Even if u dont skip a gear, if you dont rev match you'll abuse your tranny a little.
5th Gear--> Clutch--> rev to 6.5K---> shift to 2nd--> release clutch.
Shifting up is the same, slight hesitation as the rpm's fall to rev match for the new ratio going up a gear lines up the synchros better and gives a smoother shift.
Cant do that SHlT with an auto

That's great that you do that and it works like butter, but wait until you see the effects of a worn out synchros around 100k or so miles on your car...It's very, very notchy and I actually have to double clutch every so often in case of rough shifts/grinding.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by last lemming
While I can see where you are coming from (and to the extent that there is marginal wear I agree) I feel telling someone "not" to skip gears because it hurts the tranny is misleading the OP into thinking that there might be premature transmission failure by doing this. I don't believe this to be the case unless there is an inherent flaw in the syncro/tranny design to begin with. A properly built tranny (and I have no reason yet to believe the G37's tranny isn't) will last many, many years before syncro failure comes into play. Your more likely to cause damage doing many other things with the tranny like shifting hard at redline, or abrubtly engaging gears, or engaging the clutch before the gear is selected and grinding the synchros.

It would be sortta like me telling you to not drink beer because it causes liver failure (sorry if the analogy isn't perfect). While that may be true, is would only occure after many years of excessive drinking. The fact is your liver can deal with the beer and is designed to do so - up to a point.

Just a side note, many Corvette owners have been skipping gears (1 to 3)for years in order to save gas.

I don't mean any disrespect to you btw, it is after all just my opinion

Very true on the corvettes. However, like Mike said, they were probably designed from the getgo for such gear shifts. I remember how the older Trans Ams and C5? generation vettes(basically all the lsx equipped cars) actually had a gear lockout feature when driving at a conservative pace, forcing you to shift from 1 to 4 for fuel efficiency. When you're making that much torque at low rpms, it makes sense.

But yeah, the alcohol/beer analogy is a good one. It's something that you CAN do, just don't overdo it. It's meant to be used, just be aware that it is a potential wear item
Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 AM
SteveBKNY

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
That's great that you do that and it works like butter, but wait until you see the effects of a worn out synchros around 100k or so miles on your car...It's very, very notchy and I actually have to double clutch every so often in case of rough shifts/grinding.
The only tranny i ever messed up was the only automatic i ever bought. I was constantly shifting the auto tran that it blew up. Needless to say it was also the last.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:54 AM
aznutx

i for one, skip gears all the time, and have in my previous japanese manual well over 150k miles, and was fine, perhaps it's like mike said, the g is built differently, im not about to sacrifice my driving style now, especially if i have to 1.2.3.4.5.6 6.5.4.3.2.1 all the time
who knows if ill even keep the car 100k, btw wut would the cost projections on getting synchros or rebuilding a transmission cost? rather pay that money then the trouble of 1.2.3.4.5.6 all the time haha
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
xyz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
Yes, it is. Keep in mind, a 6->4 shift will still load the synchros with almost double the load of a 5->4 shift.

You don't even have to clutch in when you shift down.

You can just Clutch, shift 6 -> 5 -> 4, Clutch out.
oooooo . . . much better . . . tks~~~