Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hey! Loud ticking noise HELP pLZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 AM
hoysumbrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey! Loud ticking noise HELP pLZ

Hey guys i am wondering if anyone still have this loud ticking noise coming from under there car. It sounds like it is under the drivers side or near the middle or maybe near the engine not sure. It happens usually after you drive it or you drive it a bit hard. But i eventually get the sound everyday! I have read on the forums it could be Y pipes or the exhaust and mufflers but not sure which one it is? Can anyone tell me what this problem is?

This thread has similar questions https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...rattle-10.html

I will try to post videos of the sound by this week.

Thanx in advance
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
oh, this might be the heater core TSB... search it...

the clicks get more noticeable as you go higher in rpms and starts at about 3 k right?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, its not based on the RPM's. You can hear it when idling and resting after a drive and after you turn the car off. My Lexus does it too but not nearly as loud and obnoxiously.

Original Poster I have that same ticking noise you talk about - in fact I went in and they replaced my stock Y-Pipe under warranty and it went away for a while but now it's back! It's annoying like after you drive the car - ESPECIALLY if you drive a little spirited you hear it more - and you can hear it when idling and after parking the car and turning it off. It sounds like loud snap crackle pop ticking.

If you take your car in and they fix it let me know what they do cause replacing the Y-Pipe was only a temporary fix for me
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 AM
hoysumbrian

Its not the heater corse TSB. My interior is fine so far for now lol. The noise is coming from under my car or the engine. It is very noticeable when you stop at lights. You can also hear it inside the car and especially outside the car =[
Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 AM
vukhey
Registered Member

i get that too, and also from spirited driving most of the time, but i couldn't replicate it the time of service so wasn't able to fix it, it comes and goes so its hard to catch it with enough time to record a vid. if you guys get a fix, let me know
Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
valve click maybe?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
hoysumbrian

i get the noise about everyday its a loud obnoxious sound TICKING making other people look at your car thinking that i bet it or something and didn't break it in right.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Surfdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds almost like a diesel car? Coming from directly under the engine, center and from the exhaust area and if you rev your engine a bit it goes away?

I spoke to the Willowdale Infiniti mechanic and he said it is a known issue with Infiniti's and Nissan's. It is the way our exhaust note was made to sound, and this is the byproduct of that. I have yet to find a solution to this, but I know what you mean.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Mayu

Originally Posted by Surfdog
It sounds almost like a diesel car? Coming from directly under the engine...
This sounds like the ticking VVEL acuator TSB to me - but should not be hearing from behind. Mine had the VVEL actuater motor issue and in Drive-thru's, sounded like a diesel truck. Fixed with TSB.

As for the ticking coming from underneath, at first I thought it could be just hot metal contracting, but seems louder and more annyoing the way you guys describe it... so not sure.

Sorry about the lack of any real help, just bored and posting... lol!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
MrMichael

I believe what you are hearing is the heat expansion and compression of the aluminum under our cars. It is not really a ticking but a crackling? I find it extremely annoying as well. It is more noticeable when it is cooler outside because the air temp is cooling the aluminum faster. You probably don't hear it while driving (engine noise) but also because the underside is heating up or staying hot. But as soon as you stop or put in park the underside starts cooling off. At least that's what I think it is because that's what it sounds like.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok i had this too ! its THE Y PIPE. go to the dealer and they will replace it as simple as that
Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 AM
SteveBKNY

dude its the heat shield.. all cars do that.. especially brand new ones.. its the metal contracting
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 PM
yacoub

Originally Posted by Callaway
valve click maybe?
Nah, not if he's hearing it when the car's turned off:

"You can hear it when idling and resting after a drive and after you turn the car off. "

My guess is it's the exhaust system cooling down. All the metal and the cats all make ticking and other noises as they contract a bit as they cool.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
hoysumbrian

No i dont hear it when the car is off! I hear it only when i drive it or idle as well. I have a manual and when i rev a bit to much or w/e it will make that sound. I will post a video clip real soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
hoysumbrian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGzml...e=channel_page this is the sound clip

Quick Reply: Hey! Loud ticking noise HELP pLZ