Sponsored By:

driving without traction control.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving without traction control.

any of you guys do this. Drive around with TC off. I have heard it makes getting off the line (even for ordinary calm driving) easier.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
I keep the TC on simply because you would essentially have to remember to turn it off everytime you start the car. That's a hassle. I think I turned it off a hand full of times only since I've owned my car.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair Weather

I do it all the time. When the weather is dry and warm and I feel like it I turn it off. It keeps the nanny from taking away the throttle mid-turn. Do you have the LSD? I notice a little difference in the way the car turns. And more traction for me when I get the pole position at the red light.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it's crazy. It's there for a reason.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
TC off in a track

TC on in the streets where innocent people could get hurt. They call them accidents for a reason.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never turned mine off even when I took it out to Road Atlanta. I'm not a poseur who thinks I'm Michael Schumacher....
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
AndrewDDS

I turned it off once or twice at stoplights when no one else was around. Yea, it might get off the line a bit quicker. But I'm not enough of a professional driver to notice the difference. What I did notice, however, was how quickly your ***-end will get away from you!!! If you're absolutely gonna turn it off, then practice it at a track or in an empty parking lot before you hit the streets.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think people overreact about not using TC. If you drive like a moron then obviously you shouldn't be driving, but there was a time that TC didn't exist and nobody ever thought twice about it.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
last lemming

I dont think its overacting, I just think unless your driving at 9/10 to 10/10 whats the point. You never can anticipate all the possible conditions you might encounter that traction control can save you so why not let the safeguard be there unless you really are performance driving.

There have been several times in my life, with various types of cars, that the nanny has saved my butt when I least expected it.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by GT35R
any of you guys do this. Drive around with TC off. I have heard it makes getting off the line (even for ordinary calm driving) easier.
I think that's where most everyone will say no. People definitely turn the traction control off at certain times and for certain reasons, but I don't think anyone just drives around with it turned off. Like people have said above, unless you're really pushing it hard and trying to milk every last bit of speed out of your G, then the benefits of turning it off don't outweigh the risks involved in daily driving.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
SL1CKZ

I heard the TC takes up more gas from a friend. I drove with it off a few times, but it is a pain everytime I turn on my engine.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
ghostfaced37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
I think that's where most everyone will say no. People definitely turn the traction control off at certain times and for certain reasons, but I don't think anyone just drives around with it turned off. Like people have said above, unless you're really pushing it hard and trying to milk every last bit of speed out of your G, then the benefits of turning it off don't outweigh the risks involved in daily driving.
My buddy had a 08 OB G37s... he always drove with traction control off (dont ask me why )... the car ended up in the trees and is now totaled... Keep it on people!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SL1CKZ
I heard the TC takes up more gas from a friend. I drove with it off a few times, but it is a pain everytime I turn on my engine.
Takes up more gas? That makes no sense in my head.

Originally Posted by amoney805
I think people overreact about not using TC. If you drive like a moron then obviously you shouldn't be driving, but there was a time that TC didn't exist and nobody ever thought twice about it.
Yeah but in those days how many cars out there had over 300 horses? You are right though, you don't really need TC. But it's there for your safety, so if you want to put that in jeopardy, so be it. I'd only condone it if you're in a controlled environment, like a track.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Thrillhouse

The only time traction control does ANYTHING is if you start sliding or spinning your tires. Just driving around normally is exactly the same whether that little light is on or not. It won't help your fuel economy, it won't make the car corner any faster, nothing.

The only time you need to turn VDC off is if you plan to spin your tires, or corner hard enough to make the car slide. Thus you turn it off for a race track, autocross, or spirited drive on a fun road, provided you have the necessary skill to keep the car on line.

VDC is there to save you from yourself. It should be on at all times when you aren't in the above situations.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Infinite G37S

I just turn it off when I want to get the car sideways.

Quick Reply: driving without traction control.