Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

UPDATE : Steering wheel peeling?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE : Steering wheel peeling?!

First of all I would like to apologize to IvoryGT for borrowing his picture. My problem lies in the red dotted piece in the steering wheel. I think this is a plastic piece with the stupidest coating on it. If you wear a ring and slightly scratch it it will peel, not just scratch, it will peel. I have seen this coating on other cars and it always (sooner or later) comes off. Needless to say this makes my car look like crap and cheap. Is this also happening to other people in the forum? If so, what are you doing about it? I was thinking that if I can remove the piece I would have it sandblasted (or any other method to safely remove the coating) to have it re-coated with a more rugged material. Any ideas and/or thughts will be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine has a 2007 G35 sedan and the door pockets are coated with the same material, his car has begun to peel badly.

EDIT: Look at the picture posted by BB below.

Last edited by fcarpio; 02-25-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i don't see anything?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by aliiin
i don't see anything?
This is not my picture, the piece with the red dots is where the scratching/peeling happens. There are no scratches nor peeling on the picture I attached, I only used it as a reference.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i know you did, i don't even see a picture... i don't see an attachment..
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by aliiin
i know you did, i don't even see a picture... i don't see an attachment..
Wurd. I see it. Anyway, it is the piece that surrounds all the steering wheel controls. The one with the rubbery texture.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You fail at posting pictures. However, I think I know what you're talking about. The black bezel with the satin finish? I have a small scrape on mine too. There was a spot of something on it and I went to wipe it off and some of the finish came off. I hate it.

EDIT: since you fail at posting pics, I went and snapped one. Is this what you mean?
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  151.5 KB

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You fail at posting pictures. However, I think I know what you're talking about. The black bezel with the satin finish? I have a small scrape on mine too. There was a spot of something on it and I went to wipe it off and some of the finish came off. I hate it.

EDIT: since you fail at posting pics, I went and snapped one. Is this what you mean?
Yes, thanks for rescuing me. BB, you are my hero.

Mine is a lot worse though and on several spots.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I was thinking of replacing that bezel with a new one. That will be expensive and cost a ton. Plus it will just continue to happen because the finish is not durable. My other thoughts was to go with CF. Ivory GT could do it and it would look fantastic, but it would take a very long time and cost a fortune. I may just find a finish I like and refinish it myself. I don't know of a better alternative. A stick-on type CF look overlay will look cheesy I think.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

good god.. how do you live with yourself driving around with trash like that...?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by finagle69
good god.. how do you live with yourself driving around with trash like that...?
My wife hasn't even noticed it. It seriously bugs the hell out of me every time I get in he car.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My wife hasn't even noticed it. It seriously bugs the hell out of me every time I get in he car.
Women just dont notice things like that. I've got a tiny little .25" scratch ontop of my shifter **** that bugs the hell out of me. I dont know how it got there, but im pretty sure it was from the ONE time i let my sister drive. It was more like she just took my car somewhere and told me when i got back.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM
fcarpio

So, can that piece come off to have it refinished with a more durable coat?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

It must. I haven't taken it off yet though.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Roseyhebert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Women just dont notice things like that. I've got a tiny little .25" scratch ontop of my shifter **** that bugs the hell out of me. I dont know how it got there, but im pretty sure it was from the ONE time i let my sister drive. It was more like she just took my car somewhere and told me when i got back.
I would notice and I make sure I am careful. From when I used to wear my rings my handles have 2 small scratches on them. No more rings so problem solved!

Just gotta be careful with pretty much all the finishes in this car.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF!!!!!!!!! How in the world do you live with yourself driving in that type of garbage????? FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

jk, that totally sux!!!!!!!! What is up with that??? Another let down by Infiniti. Is this covered in the warranty?

Quick Reply: UPDATE : Steering wheel peeling?!