Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coupe vs Sedan, 35x vs 37x vs 37S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Rodzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe vs Sedan, 35x vs 37x vs 37S

I've been researching cars for about 6 months now (off and on) and believe I have finally settled on Infiniti's G37 (or possibly a used G35). I'm looking for something around $30,000 but might be willing to go up to $40,000 if it was worth it. Because of this I've mainly been looking into used cars, but the fact that the 2009 series is the only one with a G37x is making me consider it.

I was hoping for some insight into the differences between models. I know that the Coupe has two doors and is heavier than the 4-door sedan, and I'm wondering what other differences are (e.g. why is the sedan cheaper?). Also, what would I be missing out on if I were to get a G35x vs a G37x? And what's the difference between these and the G37S?

I'm looking for a sporty car mainly for myself, semi-frequently with one passenger, and occassionally with more than 1 passenger (hence I'm not too concerned about the back seats, but I do want back seats). While I want it to be sporty I also will be driving it to/from work every day and will have to deal with traffic, potholes, etc, so I don't want one of those sporty cars that lets you feel every little pebble on the road. I've never driven a stick, and while I think it would be somewhat cool to get one and nice to have more control over the shifting, I'm not entirely sold on having to use both hands while driving and therefore the 7AT w/ paddle shifters really sounds nice, but that's only on the newest models, so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 AM
The1andOnly

The main difference is that the G37X is all wheel drive and the G37S isn't.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 AM
NACZ3

One thing to also consider is to do the math on the total cost of the car with the 0.9% 72 month financing on an 08 that infiniti has going on right now or the 0% for 36 months. The 09's don't have this. If you're looking at a used 09 G35 Sedan or G37 Coupe, with the interest rates on used car loans being higher, the final cost of the used car with interest may be equal to getting a new 08 with the 0.9%. Ask the dealer about the qualifying minimum credit score though (I think it may be 700).
Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Rodzilla

What are the pros/cons between getting the Coupe and getting the Sedan?

Is the AWD really worth the added cost? In addition to price, what do I miss out on by getting the 'x' vs the 'S'?

How big of a difference is there between the 35 and the 37?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
sonsofliberty

where are you living? where you live does it frequently snow? at all? rain? if you gotta deal with those alot..the X might be suited for you.
also will this be your daily driver? if you gotta daily drive through snow and rain all year round..again, the X might be for you. but if you have a second vehicle that you can use as a winter beater and what not then you prob wanna consider the 37s.

as far as the jump from 35 to 37 check here:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...ifications.htm
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Rodzilla

Originally Posted by sonsofliberty
where are you living? where you live does it frequently snow? at all? rain? if you gotta deal with those alot..the X might be suited for you.
also will this be your daily driver? if you gotta daily drive through snow and rain all year round..again, the X might be for you. but if you have a second vehicle that you can use as a winter beater and what not then you prob wanna consider the 37s.

as far as the jump from 35 to 37 check here:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...ifications.htm
I'll be doing most of my driving in the D.C. area. It rains and snows, but it's not like Colorado or anything.

Thanks for the link...it looks helpful for comparing the various models of G37 but am I missing the G35 comparison?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Timbaland

The g35 has a smaller engine (3.5 liter hence the name) while the g37 has a larger engine (3.7 liter). The g37 has more power and a little more torque. g35 has 306 hp and i think it was 268 lb/ft. g37 coupe has 330 hp and i think 270 lb/ft. g37 sedan is slightly lower I think at 328 hp and similar torque to coupe.

For someone who says they did the research on cars, looks like you didn't look into the g that much.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Rodzilla

Originally Posted by Timbaland
The g35 has a smaller engine (3.5 liter hence the name) while the g37 has a larger engine (3.7 liter). The g37 has more power and a little more torque. g35 has 306 hp and i think it was 268 lb/ft. g37 coupe has 330 hp and i think 270 lb/ft. g37 sedan is slightly lower I think at 328 hp and similar torque to coupe.

For someone who says they did the research on cars, looks like you didn't look into the g that much.
I suppose I just wasn't clear. What I meant to ask is how big of a difference does it make; how noticeable is it? Does the small increase in horsepower/torque make much difference? And while the sedan has less power than the coupe, the coupe is heavier, so which one is better?

I know what the specs are on paper, what I want to know is why it matters and how much.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Timbaland

Ahhhh I see. Sorry about the confision.

Well I read car and driver, motortrend, road and track, etc. reviews of both cars. The sedan is slightly quicker than the coupe probably due to weight. I have read the quarter mile is roughly the same on both cars. As far as the g35 versus g37 sedan the g37 is a little bit faster. I think it was a couple tenths of a second in the quarter mile. The difference isn't huge. The change in horsepower is higher, the torque not much.

I'd say choosing between the coupe and the sedan is just a matter of personal preference, practicality, etc. I chose to get the coupe partly because I like it more and because it was hard to find the sedans in manual transmission in my area.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
sonsofliberty

on the top there are the years. click 2007 and it'll be a g35
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The g37 wins performance wise agianst the g35 sedan.. up agianst the g37 sedan, the sedan has the given "mag" racing win.

But yet to see anyproof of what its really capable of.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Rodzilla

It sounds like the sedan is better than the coupe...and cheaper too? How can that be?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Csquared

Because you get a different image and a different lifestyle with the coupe, and it's what's the extra money is for. You would think that if they took the 4 door chopped off 2 doors and reduced practicality would reduce price...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Rodzilla

Originally Posted by Csquared
Because you get a different image and a different lifestyle with the coupe, and it's what's the extra money is for. You would think that if they took the 4 door chopped off 2 doors and reduced practicality would reduce price...
Yea, that's what I was thinking. I prefer the coupe myself but am trying to cut down on the cost a bit and if I can cut the cost and get a better car (though not my ideal looking car), why not?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Csquared

The sedan aint bad looking.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Sedan, 35x vs 37x vs 37S