Sponsored By:

Coupe vs Sedan, 35x vs 37x vs 37S

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 AM
Rodzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
The sedan aint bad looking.
Certainly not, but I like the looks of the coupe better. I just don't know if it's $3,000 better...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
X= no paddle shifters, you cannot get the sport package on it. The advange to an X is AWD- good for all-weather situations.

There isn't a huge difference in performance between any of the models with the exception of handling. The S is going to handle better, will have quicker steering and VLSD which is good fo rpreventing inside wheel spin on tight turns. It will have a firmer/ less compliant ride however.

Overall mag results- it appears that the new 7AT cars are a little quicker to 60MPH by about 2 tenths of a second or so- not a noticeable difference if you ask me and in the quarter mile it appears that it is a tenth or 2 quicker there- which would be about 2 car lengths at the race track at over 100 MPH.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
veejayy2

Originally Posted by Rodzilla
I've been researching cars for about 6 months now (off and on) and believe I have finally settled on Infiniti's G37 (or possibly a used G35). I'm looking for something around $30,000 but might be willing to go up to $40,000 if it was worth it. Because of this I've mainly been looking into used cars, but the fact that the 2009 series is the only one with a G37x is making me consider it.

I was hoping for some insight into the differences between models. I know that the Coupe has two doors and is heavier than the 4-door sedan, and I'm wondering what other differences are (e.g. why is the sedan cheaper?). Also, what would I be missing out on if I were to get a G35x vs a G37x? And what's the difference between these and the G37S?

I'm looking for a sporty car mainly for myself, semi-frequently with one passenger, and occassionally with more than 1 passenger (hence I'm not too concerned about the back seats, but I do want back seats). While I want it to be sporty I also will be driving it to/from work every day and will have to deal with traffic, potholes, etc, so I don't want one of those sporty cars that lets you feel every little pebble on the road. I've never driven a stick, and while I think it would be somewhat cool to get one and nice to have more control over the shifting, I'm not entirely sold on having to use both hands while driving and therefore the 7AT w/ paddle shifters really sounds nice, but that's only on the newest models, so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
I have the 37s in Philly with summer tires- if there is any crap on the ground in the winter I rent a car. I had to it only two days so far this year.

I recently had the s in for routine service and got a 35x sedan for a loaner. Here is my BIASED opinion: the main difference was in the steering feel - it just feels more disconnected in the awd than rwd. The s steering is light and more communicative, whatever the hell that means- very subjective. In terms of power and fun I noticed no big difference subjectively. I think both cars look GREAT in their own way. So the differences in my opionion come down to the perceived "feel" on the road. But again, that's me. Maybe I am biased because I own the car already and want to justify the purchase. I can tell you that if Philly had a real winter, I would have wished I bought the x.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
PearlG37

Originally Posted by veejayy2
I have the 37s in Philly with summer tires- if there is any crap on the ground in the winter I rent a car. I had to it only two days so far this year.

I recently had the s in for routine service and got a 35x sedan for a loaner. Here is my BIASED opinion: the main difference was in the steering feel - it just feels more disconnected in the awd than rwd. The s steering is light and more communicative, whatever the hell that means- very subjective. In terms of power and fun I noticed no big difference subjectively. I think both cars look GREAT in their own way. So the differences in my opionion come down to the perceived "feel" on the road. But again, that's me. Maybe I am biased because I own the car already and want to justify the purchase. I can tell you that if Philly had a real winter, I would have wished I bought the x.
I'm in philly too, and last year had a 35x sedan for a loaner. I agree, I thought there was a huge difference in the steering and response. I will go even further and say that I felt a big difference in performance too. Going from an AT 35x to a 6MT37S, you will definitely like the 37s better, no contest.

The moral of the story is go out and drive cars. Your not going to find out what you like by reading what other people tell you. When I was buying my 37s, I went out and drove everything multiple times, at multiple dealers (IS350, 335I, G37).
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
the '09 G37x does have a different steering feel and also suspension seems just slightly softer w/ the dual shock absorbers in the front. not a night and day difference but i notice the small changes.
I'd take the G37xS over the G37x coupe b/c of the trunk space... i cant throw enough stuff into my coupe if we go out
Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Rodzilla

At this point I'm pretty convinced I don't need AWD and that the coupe isn't worth the extra cost/weight/lack of space. I'm thinking about getting a 2009 G37S Sedan right now. Hoping to go test drive several of them though in a few weeks...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The cost of insuring a sedan is also usually less than a comparable coupe. Follow-up to be sure.