Sponsored By:

This is killing me !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jarborn1
Yea that is what i have come across...

Equal amount's of people on both sides of the arguments...

For those who are proponents of the "Break In" period... What specifically does it do? Or not do? Or help?
^^ G-Thang
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
jarborn1

Maybe i worded it wrong? sorry if thats the case..
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are other mechanical components which you are breaking in as well, i.e. the transmission. If you want to take a speed run to feel the swell of power than do it, but make sure everything is nice and warmed up. Then I would revert back to the 1,200 mile schedule and suck it up.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
jarborn1

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
There are other mechanical components which you are breaking in as well, i.e. the transmission. If you want to take a speed run to feel the swell of power than do it, but make sure everything is nice and warmed up. Then I would revert back to the 1,200 mile schedule and suck it up.
Thanks man, appreciate it..
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Hey, like I said - it's your car do what you like to it. I'm still old school about breaking in a car and follow the engine builders' direction. I like to believe the engineer who drove mine for 8 miles did too.

I'm simply presenting the line of reasoning I follow for breaking it in as directed, not like a pissed off teenager. All of the 37K miles I've driven it since break in have not been gentle.
Those 8 miles were driving very aggressively ...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
HamstersG

Just one of the many similar summaries out there in that big place called the Internet.

"The first few hundred miles of a new engine's life have a major impact on how strongly that engine will perform, how much oil it will consume and how long it will last. The main purpose of break-in is to seat the compression rings to the cylinder walls. We are talking about the physical mating of the engine's piston rings to it's corresponding cylinder wall. That is, we want to physically wear the new piston rings into the cylinder wall until a compatible seal between the two is achieved.

Proper engine break in will produce an engine that achieves maximum power output with the least amount of oil consumption due to the fact that the piston rings have seated properly to the cylinder wall. When the piston rings are broken in or seated, they do not allow combustion gases to escape the combustion chamber past the piston rings into the crankcase section of the engine. This lack of "blow-by" keeps your engine running cleaner and cooler by preventing hot combustion gases and by-products from entering the crankcase section of the engine. Excessive "blow-by" will cause the crankcase section of the engine to become pressurized and contaminated with combustion gases, which in turn will force normal oil vapors out of the engine's breather, causing the engine to consume excessive amounts of oil.

In addition to sealing combustion gases in the combustion chamber, piston rings must also manage the amount of oil present on the cylinder walls for lubrication. If the rings do not seat properly, they cannot perform this function and will allow excessive amounts of oil to accumulate on the cylinder wall surfaces. This oil is burned each and every time the cylinder fires. The burning of this oil, coupled with "blow-by" induced engine breathing, are reasons that an engine that hasn't been broken in will consume more than its share of oil."

This post was meant to find out WHY company's have break in periods, go back and look at my posts.

Ie Oil sealing etc...

Not because i am impatient, i was looking for information, not a bunch of people sending out opinions..

Plus i had the car for 2 weeks now and it has 450 miles on it... So it will be longer then that G-Thang..
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Not too many people have full pre-purchase inspections done on used vehicles like the G since they are a realtively inexpensive car. On more expensive exotics you will always see compression tests and leak-down tests done on these cars due to the potential abuse of the motors during break-in and afterwards. The cost to replace a motor on a Lambo Gallardo is certainly more expensive than a G, however if you plan to own your G for many miles I would follow the procedures outlined by the manufacturer with a few short bursts to keep you sane.

Enjoy it!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
jarborn1

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Just one of the many similar summaries out there in that big place called the Internet.

"The first few hundred miles of a new engine's life have a major impact on how strongly that engine will perform, how much oil it will consume and how long it will last. The main purpose of break-in is to seat the compression rings to the cylinder walls. We are talking about the physical mating of the engine's piston rings to it's corresponding cylinder wall. That is, we want to physically wear the new piston rings into the cylinder wall until a compatible seal between the two is achieved.

Proper engine break in will produce an engine that achieves maximum power output with the least amount of oil consumption due to the fact that the piston rings have seated properly to the cylinder wall. When the piston rings are broken in or seated, they do not allow combustion gases to escape the combustion chamber past the piston rings into the crankcase section of the engine. This lack of "blow-by" keeps your engine running cleaner and cooler by preventing hot combustion gases and by-products from entering the crankcase section of the engine. Excessive "blow-by" will cause the crankcase section of the engine to become pressurized and contaminated with combustion gases, which in turn will force normal oil vapors out of the engine's breather, causing the engine to consume excessive amounts of oil.

In addition to sealing combustion gases in the combustion chamber, piston rings must also manage the amount of oil present on the cylinder walls for lubrication. If the rings do not seat properly, they cannot perform this function and will allow excessive amounts of oil to accumulate on the cylinder wall surfaces. This oil is burned each and every time the cylinder fires. The burning of this oil, coupled with "blow-by" induced engine breathing, are reasons that an engine that hasn't been broken in will consume more than its share of oil."
Now were talking...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a lot of more to that, search for break in on the forum you'll find a ton of stuff.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
G_Thang

This post was meant to find out WHY company's have break in periods, go back and look at my posts.

Ie Oil sealing etc...

Not because i am impatient, i was looking for information, not a bunch of people sending out opinions..

Plus i had the car for 2 weeks now and it has 450 miles on it... So it will be longer then that G-Thang..

OK.. Its not for the seals. The quote about the rings and mating surfaces pretty much sums it up. Your "seating" the compression ring so as to prevent oil from seeping past and quehching the cylinder walls, fouling the plugs, and burning oil. On the surfaces, your wearing off the manufacturing surface and creating a new "home" for the newly mated surfaces.

When an engine is new all of the freshly machined/manufactured components have an unworn surface. A film of oil is all that seperates mating metal surfaces (cam journals, crank journals, rod journals, piston rings and cylinder walls, etc) and since these surfaces are unworn there is less film.. since the tolerance it tighter. High revving or prolonged revving causes excess friction and heat on these surfaces and helps to prematurely break down the oil, thus decreasing the oils ability to do one of its main functions... lubricate. The first time you drain your oil on a new engine put it in the sun light and look at the metalic flakes. It looks like a black pearl paint job. This is the surface you wore off when mating the surfaces.

So to answer your question... companies use "good engineering judgement" and tell the customer not to go race it on Day 1. As mentioned earlier, its a legal matter also, because rest assure the first guy who blew up his G37 (or any car for that matter) would be sueing saying "Man I had no idea I couldnt run 185mph right off the lot!!" All Inifniti has to say to protect theirelves is.. "Its in the manual, have a nice day!"
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
hyekid10

honestly.. reading some peoples thoughts really gives me a kick of laughter .. and god damn..

bro.. i got my car 200miles on the car cuz they had to drive it up from maryland.. and wen i got it.. i redlined every gear :-D except for the 5th one cuz i was at 142 :-D haha its fun.. its better wen u look in ur rear view mirror and u see a cute 335i gettin his fckin doors wacked off him :-D
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
HamstersG

Mine tops out at 170....I feel cheated.

Originally Posted by G_Thang
"Man I had no idea I couldnt run 185mph right off the lot!!" All Inifniti has to say to protect theirelves is.. "Its in the manual, have a nice day!"
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by hyekid10
honestly.. reading some peoples thoughts really gives me a kick of laughter .. and god damn..

bro.. i got my car 200miles on the car cuz they had to drive it up from maryland.. and wen i got it.. i redlined every gear :-D except for the 5th one cuz i was at 142 :-D haha its fun.. its better wen u look in ur rear view mirror and u see a cute 335i gettin his fckin doors wacked off him :-D
Its not like your motor is going to fall out the bottom. It probably wont be a problem until 80k or so... maybe, maybe not. I think some fail to realize this isn't going to be noticeable right away. If you dont plan to own the car in a few years.... yeah kill it for the next owner/owners.... Im sure they'll love you for it.

BOTTOM LINE: A break in procedure is a good practice. Trust me on this one... I know what I'm talking about. Theres something to be said for experience. Dont take my word for it tho, ask any other engine builder.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
G Thang,

I think that people who don't want to exercise patience to break a new engine in properly will use the arguments that modern engines don't need it (I strongly disagree) because they don't plan to keep the car long term or just don't give a damn. I don't think they'll be convinced by logic, the cars manufacturer's recommendations, or experienced engine builders. If you go back and look at posts from the past, many are the same ones that bitch about buying a car with 200 or 300 miles because they are certain that the porter who drove it to the dealership beat the helll out of it on the way and damaged it somehow.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by Black Betty
G Thang,

I think that people who don't want to exercise patience to break a new engine in properly will use the arguments that modern engines don't need it (I strongly disagree) because they don't plan to keep the car long term or just don't give a damn. I don't think they'll be convinced by logic, the cars manufacturer's recommendations, or experienced engine builders. If you go back and look at posts from the past, many are the same ones that bitch about buying a car with 200 or 300 miles because they are certain that the porter who drove it to the dealership beat the helll out of it on the way and damaged it somehow.
Yeah you're aright. Either you care about your car or you dont. Trying to explain the logic still does nothing. Advise was requested and given. If they dont take it... well then, not much left to say about that.

Quick Reply: This is killing me !!!