Feedback needed pls for - 2008 G37 6MT Purchase

Hello people,

I currently drive a G35 Manual Coupe and am in the process of upgrading to:
- 2008 G37 6MT Coupe
- Nav
- Premium
- Rear spoiler
- Illuminated kick plates

I've read through a lot of the posts on this forum and they've helped me a ton! Had some more specific questions please and would appreciate your input:

- Color: Still undecided on color. My G35 is Plat Graphite which is very nice and low maintenance. I was thinking of the same, but also do like Athens Blue! Question: Is the Athens Blue more likely to show scratches etc. given the soft paint issues I've read about?

- Spoiler: Not too keen on the included lip spoiler (though it may look fine on the Athens Blue). Is the Rear Spoiler worth getting?

- Illuminated kick plates: They sound cool, though have not seen one in person yet. Are they worth it?

- Can music via an iPhone be controlled competetly via car's audio controls (once I get the right adaptor)? Do track names etc. show up on Nav screen?

- Finally, for all the above, price I've got is $39k plus taxes etc. (on financing). I'm sure I can get it lower, but wanted to see what's a reasonable price please?

Thanks all in advance for your comments!
-kevster
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
color: get what you want, bottom line, you don't want to see a AB down the road and have the PG and then be like damn shoulda got AB... but then again i'm biased because i have BO. sure it's hard to take care of, but looks so damn good when detailed.

spoiler: the chrome spoiler in my humble opinion looks really bad. the spoiler looks good, especially on the g35... the car looked REALLY bad without a spoiler, the g37 is bearable with the chrome thing, but i am not really fond of it

illuminated kick plates: these things are tight as hell... i think they're worth the extra few hundred bucks you're paying... go to the dealer and check them out if you haven't.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Reed19x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Beyonce says..lemme lemme upgrade ya!

Color: Definitely a personal choice. Athens Blue will show some scratches (not as bad as Black Obsidian or Blue Slate). You've had Graphite for a few years? Why not add a little color to your ride? I say go for the Athens Blue if it fits YOUR personality. **I chose Ivory Pearl White...easiest for me to maintain**

Spoiler: The chrome piece just looks cheap. I still have it on mine though I prefer the rear spoiler, but if you don't you can get a CF cover for the chrome piece, like this one (http://www.blacktopaero.com/shop/cat...2dr-inst-2.jpg)

Illuminated Kick Plates: Totally awesome! I get huge compliments on these and love seeing them glow at night when getting in/out of my car. **I have Nissan Skyline rebadges so I sometimes get made fun of for the kickplates being mismatched**

iPhone: I'm not entirely sure about the iPhone situation. However I think you MIGHT (this is a big might) have to have the Technology Package for that to work? Not sure, just got my first normal iPod last week (yeah I'm behind the times)

Price: 39K is a pretty good deal. For some reason dealers aren't trying to ditch their 2008 models really quickly. Maybe because there isn't much change vs. the 2009?

Overall: DO IT DO IT DO IT! That's my impulsive side, it's a great car and a blast to drive. My logical side says, with the way the economy is, save your money and spend it on some mods for the 35. The mods are cheaper right now and the 35 is an absolutely amazing car.

Up to you man, good luck with your decision!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
iamtissue

I've read through a lot of the posts on this forum and they've helped me a ton! Had some more specific questions please and would appreciate your input:

- Color: Still undecided on color. My G35 is Plat Graphite which is very nice and low maintenance. I was thinking of the same, but also do like Athens Blue! Question: Is the Athens Blue more likely to show scratches etc. given the soft paint issues I've read about?

i got plat graphite and it is nice~~ dirt won't show up as much on the car. So I don't need to wash it as much

- Spoiler: Not too keen on the included lip spoiler (though it may look fine on the Athens Blue). Is the Rear Spoiler worth getting?

Up to you... I didn't

- Illuminated kick plates: They sound cool, though have not seen one in person yet. Are they worth it?

COMPLETELY worth it... go check it out at the dealer, i'm sure they have models with it

- Can music via an iPhone be controlled competetly via car's audio controls (once I get the right adaptor)? Do track names etc. show up on Nav screen?

- yes track names will show up on screen. but this is with normal ipods, not sure about iphone

- Finally, for all the above, price I've got is $39k plus taxes etc. (on financing). I'm sure I can get it lower, but wanted to see what's a reasonable price please?

invoice should be around 38000 for that config. see if you can get a little under that price for the model you want
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
last lemming

Illuminated sill plats - F'n Cool! Totally Blingtastic!!

Last edited by last lemming; 02-16-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Team Punisher

Originally Posted by aliiin
color: get what you want, bottom line, you don't want to see a AB down the road and have the PG and then be like damn shoulda got AB... but then again i'm biased because i have BO. sure it's hard to take care of, but looks so damn good when detailed.

spoiler: the chrome spoiler in my humble opinion looks really bad. the spoiler looks good, especially on the g35... the car looked REALLY bad without a spoiler, the g37 is bearable with the chrome thing, but i am not really fond of it

illuminated kick plates: these things are tight as hell... i think they're worth the extra few hundred bucks you're paying... go to the dealer and check them out if you haven't.
This young man has hit the nail on the head you really don't need to here NO MO!!! it's a fun car to own so go get you one
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen one without the kickplates myself. Seems like they are on all of them....
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
kevster

That's really great feedback people ... thanks!

The only undecided factor is now the color (Platinum Graphite or Athens Blue). I have not seen an AB in the flesh so am trying to find a local dealer that has one in stock.

For the price, I managed to get it down to invoice without really much of a push, so could probably get a bit more when I'm ready to buy the right one.

Other open items -
- I learnt something new today - the Nav package's hard drive cannot be removed so you need to rip your CDs in the car (i.e. I cant simply port all my organized tunes from elsewhere)? That's a pain in the backside for sure, but I think I'll just have to use the iPod more!

- Anyone adjusted the clutch height on a G37 yet? I had a small plastic piece/kit under my G35 clutch pedal that made a HUGE difference to the clutch operation. Was wondering if anyone had found a similar "cheap" solution for the G37 yet ...

Thanks again,
Kev
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
daveindubai

Hi man

You can rip CD's onto a memory stick and then load onto the hard drive.

Clutch height - no idea
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by daveindubai
Hi man

You can rip CD's onto a memory stick and then load onto the hard drive.

Clutch height - no idea
Uh what? You can play them from a CFlash card but you can't load them on to the HDrive that way..... Unless your European version can do so?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Kev G37S

I'd say do it! I came from 07 G35 6MT to 08 G37S 6MT with navi. both color IP. I'd say it's a huge upgrade such as clutch, interior & exterior (of course), the navi systems, backup camera, keyless entry, push-start button, etc... but I don't like the headlight switch if you know what I'm talking about, I wish the first turn is not AUTO. Anyways, I wish I've got the rear spoiler & illuminated kick plates. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevster
Hello people,

I currently drive a G35 Manual Coupe and am in the process of upgrading to:
- 2008 G37 6MT Coupe
- Nav
- Premium
- Rear spoiler
- Illuminated kick plates

Thanks all in advance for your comments!
-kevster
Color - Check out what Igor just did to BIg Pei's athens blue... Your decision will be made..

Spoiler - I am not a fan of the spoiler, get it without if you really want it you can always get it later..

Ill Kicks - They are sick, DEF get em...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM
vinny14369
Registered Member

On 12/31/08, I bought my '08 6MT with prem/Nav, kick plates, NO spoiler. It is black on stone. It was new. NOT INCLUDING taxes and tag, I paid $37,500. I also got the dealer to throw in a free window tint.

$39k w/o tax/tag is too high. I looked all over the US. I contacted tons of internet managers to find the color combo I wanted, then pitted them against each other. Luckily for me, my local dealer did the best he could to match the out-of-town prices.

Please keep in mind, that the economy for new car purchases totally sucks. So, regardless of what the dealer tells you, they are not moving cars.

RE: color. I, too, liked the Athens Blue and thought about getting it, but it was a little too, "Too Fast, Too Furious" for me and went with Black. All in all, it's a personal preference. I love my car and I am sure the other owners will attest to that same fact.

Cheers!

~V