G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fact or not????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me, it seemed to help with the shifting delay a bit. Not an expensive mod, and most report improvements on 5AT. It is still no where as good as the dual clutch auto in my GTI.

Here is a review my Blackjack. https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...t-5at-g37.html

Now I would not make decision based on the grounding kit. Not sure it should even be a factor. If you want immediate and complete control of the gear you are in, then go with the 6MT. I did not like the clutch in this car and I am lazy so went with 5AT.

Originally Posted by Formula1
HamstersG, when you say its better with the kit, can you be more specific with what you notice? Like I said the car moves very fast in automatic DS, but it is just the manual lags response and if this kit does improve that problem, it will be one of the factors I'll take into account to choose the 5AT over the 6MT. Guys I know the 09 have the 7AT but right now there is a gap in price of around $10,000 between a second hand 08 and a new 09 G, so I take that under consideration.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Formula1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it, I had hope this kit would greatly improve the reaction time in the manual mode, but according to the reviews it is not a big change. So now and back to where I started on making a decision between a 6MT G37 or an automatic 335i coupe. Thank you all for your responses.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The 1-2 shift is where you get the slight delay between when you push the gear selector and the car actually responds. For that if you push the paddle 500 RPM before redline the car will shift at redline without a delay. The car is simply revving up too quick for the tranny to respond to the manual input before the rev limiter wants to kick in. With the grounding kit it helped that issue a little making for slightly quicker shifts. I don't have to “time” my up-shifts quite as much now.
You do have to also be conscience of the rev matching that occurs on downshifts at lower speeds from the 2-1 gears. This can also result in a slight delay before engagement. You have to lift throttle and reengage quickly to counter this effect when it happens.
To prevent this from happening you have to engage the gas BEFORE selecting the gear
In summary you have to learn the quirks of the AT tranny and once you do it is fun to drive in manual mode. From what I have seen the 7AT doesn't upshift quicker in manual mode there is a little more lockup in higher gears but the lower gears feels about the same.

A 6MT is the only way to be able to directly control tranny/engine engagement without assistance from the computer. But there are some quirks with the 6MT in this car as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

If you are driving in a very "spirited" mode and pushing redline on a back road somewhere the paddle shifters will step up to the task on both up and down shifts. If you are driving around town(99.999% of the time) they lag. Grounding may make it better, but this is no $250,000 Lambo. It is what it is and if you want more instant gear control please get the manual.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
KAHBOOM

Good point Chi-town- very spirited driving normally involves quick crisp shifts.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Formula1, before you decide on anything or get persuaded in either direction, you need to test drive an 08 automatic and an 09 automatic back to back. Preferably with the same options. You come back with your own opinions.

Personally, I have gone through this test and the 5 speed was better suited for us ("us" being the girl that lives with me and myself). You'll get a lot of people saying the 7 speed trany is better than the 5 speed and I have no idea where they come up with that. I have high doubts that they drove both cars back to back on the same day. I think they just see it as more is better, or maybe it's a matter of pride. If that were the case, then an infinite number of gears would be even better, right? Have you ever driven a continuously variable transmission (CVT)? Absolutely no fun at all! They are neat for the first two weeks and then are the most boring car to drive ever. My point is, 7 speeds are not always better than 5 speeds. You need to try these out for yourself.

As far as the shifts themselves goes, KAHBOOM is right in that you have to learn what the car wants. I'm still learning how to drive the car but I've already determined the paddle shifts are not as quick as the stick when in manual.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
KAHBOOM

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I'm still learning how to drive the car but I've already determined the paddle shifts are not as quick as the stick when in manual.
hmmm interesting. There was a brief point where I kinda thought the same thing as you on this and then just never tried one method vs the other back-to-back I will have to check this out when I get the chance.

I generally use the paddles when in the twisties where I can keep my hands on the wheel. I generally use the stick in normal, around town, straight line driving... but under hard acceleration from a dig I use the paddles.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
hmmm interesting. There was a brief point where I kinda thought the same thing as you on this and then just never tried one method vs the other back-to-back I will have to check this out when I get the chance.

I generally use the paddles when in the twisties where I can keep my hands on the wheel. I generally use the stick in normal, around town, straight line driving... but under hard acceleration from a dig I use the paddles.

Let me know what you come up with. I like to drive left hand top center with the right on the shifter. This is reguardless if the car is manual or automatic. Understandably big twisties might call for two hands on the wheel. Anyway, experiment with the paddles versus the stick in manual and let me know what you think.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Formula1

Thank you all for the replies, if I decide on the 5AT I would do my best to learn how to get the best out of it. Now a technical question to those of you experts in this tranny. The operation of this tranny is all electronic controled correct? If so, do you guys think when ever one of the performance company come out with a computer enhancement re-program, would it also have an effect on the tranny or just the engine? As anyone heard results about this? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Reed19x

I agree with Ivoid here...I drive the same way he does, so I don't really get much use out of the paddle shifters. It's comfortable to rest my hand on the stick, and thus easier to shift with it. I feel like, to use the paddles I have to reach up, click it, then return my hand to comfortable position. But then again, I don't drive with two hands...naughty naughty, hope there's no driving school instructors on here from the DMV. The stick feels faster to me though, in the 5AT at least...haven't seen/played with a 7AT yet though.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Driving position is one thing, the fact that the paddle shifts seem slower is another. I don't know if I drive like that to be pimp (which I am), or if it's because I grew up driving a stick. Either way, when I try to use the paddle shifters they just seem a lot slower.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:23 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Formula1
Thank you all for the replies, if I decide on the 5AT I would do my best to learn how to get the best out of it. Now a technical question to those of you experts in this tranny. The operation of this tranny is all electronic controled correct? If so, do you guys think when ever one of the performance company come out with a computer enhancement re-program, would it also have an effect on the tranny or just the engine? As anyone heard results about this? Thanks.
Yes. Search for Cobb Access port and Technosquare reflash.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
G37nS2K

you sure? i definately recommend getting 335i if you are going to get automatic...
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could not find anything on tranny flash? Post a link?

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Yes. Search for Cobb Access port and Technosquare reflash.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
w0ady

just shift earlier? lol. once you get the timing down, then its not an issue. and i agree my paddles seem a tiny bit slower than the stick.

i should pick up 1 of bb's grounding kits since it can only help my shifts.

as for driving position, im also mostly left hand centered with the right on the selector unless im going through multiple corners.