Sponsored By:

roof rack on a G?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:33 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roof rack on a G?

Anyone ever put a roof rack on a G, coupe or sedan?

I need to figure out a way to get my surfboards to the beach. Neither Yakima or Thule list anything available for the G.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really, I'm pretty sure the 42" bars will reach, you just might have to be paitent for them to make the mounts. But I think Infiniti OEM Accesories might have a roof rack at least for the sedan. But being in a coupe the mounting points are different since you don't have the rear doors to open and clamp down too.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Nope, Infiniti doesn't have any OEM racks, even for the sedan. At least not according to their website or my local dealer.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well then you might have to get those flimsy ones that are just a series of padded straps that wrap around the headliner and are universal. Can you do any strategic manuvering of putting the rear seat down and putting your front pass. seat all the way forward or reclined so the board could go length wise from the trunk up into the passenger area? I know it's not the best, but if you have no other options it may be your only way of using your G to go surf. I am able to fit hockey sticks in with this technique and while shorter than a surfboard they are still about 6 ft tall.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Graham
Well then you might have to get those flimsy ones that are just a series of padded straps that wrap around the headliner and are universal. Can you do any strategic manuvering of putting the rear seat down and putting your front pass. seat all the way forward or reclined so the board could go length wise from the trunk up into the passenger area? I know it's not the best, but if you have no other options it may be your only way of using your G to go surf. I am able to fit hockey sticks in with this technique and while shorter than a surfboard they are still about 6 ft tall.
The things you are thinking of are called soft racks. The work, but they eventually **** up the paint as they rub against the roof. I've been using them on my girlfriends POS Civic to get my longboard to the beach. I would never do that to my car. My short boards I can squeeze in the coupe with the rear seats folded down and the passenger seat all the way forward, but then I can't have passengers.

As my coupe was totalled, I really have a dilema. I loved my G and would love to get another one, however impractical they are. I figured I'd get a G sedan, but the rear seats don't even fold down. So the sedan is actually worse than the coupe in this respect. I am really not a SUV or pick up truck kind of guy and wouldn't want one as a daily driver. Borrowing the GF's Civic is not a long term solution either. The MB C350 has folding rear seats, but I drove the car and found it incredibly boring however nice it was. I am having a tough time going back to a Subaru wagon (what I drove prior to the G) after being spoilt by the G during the last year or so.
As I see it, the only way I'll be happy is to get a new G coupe and find a rack for it. If they can have one for a Porsche Boxter, there has to be one that works for the G. I wonder how hard would it be to rig up a custom one.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
SFG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be foolish to transport a board with our cars......... Time to buy a "Beach Beater"
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SFG37S
It would be foolish to transport a board with our cars......... Time to buy a "Beach Beater"
I would, but due to parking and in$urance reasons I am limited to one car.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
yakuzapop

I saw one with roof rack on last oil change service at the dealership.
It was a black G37 coupe with ski or snowboard rack. that was ugly as hell.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
SFG37S

Originally Posted by solution
I would, but due to parking and in$urance reasons I am limited to one car.
I you absolutely must, here is an Idea. Get a folding universal bike rack that straps to the trunk lid and a foam workout pad.
Strap the rack as tight as possible to the trunk lid wrap the pad around the front of the board, Secure it with a rubber bungee and set it on the roof with the back of the board resting on the rack.
Strap the board securely to the rack with a load strap and you should be good to go.

It might look like shizz,,,,,,but it just might work!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 AM
SFG37S

Lightbulb Ya got me a think'in!

Google........."Block surfer hard rack". Looks as if it may be the ticket!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SFG37S
Google........."Block surfer hard rack". Looks as if it may be the ticket!

Thanks! Seem like this may be the best solution so far.

I just picked up a new G37 Coupe, so I'll have to look into this. I am sure it will look like ****, but it maybe OK for that 1-2 mornings a week when I actually make it out. If it works out I'll be sure to post pics.