G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Automobile Magazine 8 Month Review of '08 G37S

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
daveindubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm - drive an auto and theres no snow in Dubai. That would make the majority of the review baseless for me then? Fair enuff - honest (if harsh for us devoted G37 fans) review - but as someone else said - apart from this I drive it cause it looks and drives freakin sexy. And personally - I just love hitting the gas and have a car answer my call and growl while it does it...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
last lemming

I agree. I belive the problem stems from cross use of technologies between Infiniti and Nissan divisions verses a company like BMW who only has to make parts for BMW. With Infinit/Nissan the trade off is lower cost/prodcut due to parts bin sharing of the two which allows for a more economical approach but sacarfices a certail level of quality. In other words it has to be econmical enough for the Nissan product but still work in the Infinity product, so you never get a really great single product on the upper end because it is always compormised. On the other hand if they did build it product specific like the BMW then it would probably cost more and we would complain about that.

Of course this assumes the tranny is used in both the Nissan product and Infiniti product. I thought it was.

just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Unfortunately I have heard a lot of reports about the 6MT feeling unrefined and allowing for excessive NVH in the cabin. This was the case with the sedan as well. Real motorheads love the tranny because it gives the car a raw feel but Infiniti really needs to refine the MT tranny to be more suited to a car in this class because these types of reviews don't help its cause.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
bunluvsvw

I totally agree with daveindubai, if refinement is what we are looking for then we shouldnt be driving a car with 330hp and 19 rims, we should roll in caddys and lincolns, they float like a boat. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to feel like Im driving a UPS truck, but ppl complaining about the most minor stuff and cry about it. Did you not know the trunk is small when you bought the car? Jeez, I guess you just realized that the car is not front wheel drive and is horrible in the snow. Do you actually know how thin the 19s are cause of the 40 profile? Had Infiniti did what Acura did and put 17s on their G, ppls gonna find something to say about it too. lol Like I said, you never hear the ending.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by last lemming
I agree. I belive the problem stems from cross use of technologies between Infiniti and Nissan divisions verses a company like BMW who only has to make parts for BMW. With Infinit/Nissan the trade off is lower cost/prodcut due to parts bin sharing of the two which allows for a more economical approach but sacarfices a certail level of quality. In other words it has to be econmical enough for the Nissan product but still work in the Infinity product, so you never get a really great single product on the upper end because it is always compormised. On the other hand if they did build it product specific like the BMW then it would probably cost more and we would complain about that.

Of course this assumes the tranny is used in both the Nissan product and Infiniti product. I thought it was.

just my 2 cents.
If you really think about it, Would it make sense to say that they shouldnt have put a 6mt in the G37 to begin with? According to ppl that think this "class" of car should be more refined then, maybe this "class" of ppl that drive upscale "luxury" car shouldnt need to shift. We are in a different "class" shouldnt need to shift like you are driving an XA or a civic. lol we are not punk azz boy racers like most "Infiniti" owners should be.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
last lemming

Im not trying to dabate "class" of car a such, but that the cross use of parts will ultimately cause compromises at some point. I personally don't have a problem with a little vibration through the shifter. Is it perfect - no - is the clutch take up perfect - I driven better (even in lower priced cars, my WRX case and point) but does it work in the overall package for the price I paid - I think so. BTW every car I've ever owned has had some sort of vibration wether small or large, except my '86 911 which was the exact opposite - but that's a different animal.

I simply go back to that you're getting the Infiniti for substantially less when comparing apples to apples (though some might argue this) and when you compete with those cars that are as some say "more refined" then you will always be compared to those cars. So you have to step up, but one should be prepared to pay for it. You get what you pay for is what it ultimately comes down to.

I also belive you offer the 6mt for the driving experience. To me, not being able to manually shift a well executed car makes it less entertaining. This car requires a little more effort to master than some, but once mastered its does ok for its purpose - a GT that is, not a sports car. For instance I don't believe the heel - toeing comes off well, but I don't H/T in town that often.

I do agree that if you can't build a good manual tranny then maybe the car is better without it. Case and point, I owned a Mercedes C230 Coupe a while back - manual tranny. Let's just say I should have stuck with the auto - that tranny brought the whole car ownership experience down. I don't think however that our tranny is bad - just rough around the edges.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
cullan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand some of the gripes... the funny thing is that one of my biggest problems is the IPod interface, but that got the highest marks. Interesting. Apparently they really didn't use it much.

Yes, our trunk space sucks. There is no argument on this. The 335 has an enormous trunk (because it has run flats and no spare).

My seats haven't started the bubble yet, but I assume they will eventually. That stinks.

The engine too loud/coarse? WTF? It is supposed to make noise, it's a sports car. I like the raw growl. I guess not everyone does though.

The seatbelt? Seems fine to me. Have you ever tried to use a seatbelt in a 335 coupe? You can't even reach it. A little mechanical arm comes out and hands it to you when you get in the car. God forbid you don't grab it in time and it retracts. Personally I'd rather save $$$ and not have a little arm hand me the seatbelt.

Also, the clutch.... personally I like the feeling of the G37 clutch over the 335i. The 335i clutch is much stiffer and is irritating when you live in a place like socal. My brother has the 335i and while I do love it, I think the difference in the clutch is one of my favorite differences between the two cars.

Either way they are both great cars. I feel like it is unfair to judge the two side by side all the time. Infiniti clearly cuts corners that BMW dosn't... and you pay less for that. I pay $486 a month for my G37 and my brother is close to $800 for his 335i. These are both 3 year leases with 15k miles and nothing down. That's a very very big diference.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
First off, let me say thank you for uploading the article

Aside for the seat bulge, I can't really relate to anything they mentioned as a down for the car. I drive the 5AT and knew a bout the small trunk space but that's a non-issue for me coz I fold the seat down and still get just about anythin I need to haul into the car. I love the engine note and actually wish I could hear more of it in the cabin but I'm sure an aftermarket exhaust will fix that

My take on it is that this is a great article as it put things into perspective for future buyers of their very first coupe. With that said, I personally feel the minute impracticalities associated with owning this car are more than made up for by the sexiness and performance
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 AM
the-moss

I agree with this article for most things. But I think the reason they are complaints is because they don't live with the car day to day and work around what I would call it's 'quirks'.

Clutch - The clutch in this car is awful. It's incredibly grabby, makes getting a smooth engagement a real art, and while this can be done once you are used to the car it makes a rough shift enevitable every once in a while.

Drive by wire system - This is very touchy, however it's fine when you are used to the car. However combined with the clutch it makes a smooth takeoff on any kind of incline impossible if you are not.

Brakes - Also very touchy. But when you are used to the car they are fine.

Steering - I totally disagree with this assesment. I think the steering feel is great in this car.

Seatbelt - My wife actually has this problem with the seatbelt digging into her neck. I think she has adjusted the seat and angled the retainer down a little to mitigate it, but it's still not perfect.

Engine being unrefined - I disagree 100% with this. While I will concede that things can get a little rough when the engine is revved to 5k+ rpm. The power band of the engine is so wide that the car produces a lot of thrust from 2k+ rpm. I can briskly tackle a curvy road, and do all my daily driving while never exceedng 4k rpm. The only times I ever really get into the upper RPM range is while I'm going for an all out blast through the country or passing a slower movng vehicle. One thing that I have yet to find myself thinking, as I'm approaching oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road, is "I'm rather pleased it's so easy to whip around this slow car, but it's disappointing that I'm not doing it with a little more sophistication". I honestly think this engine is fabulous.

This is all a really long way of saying - I can see how people would make the complaints they did if they only drive the car 1 day a week. If I drive my other car for a single day I find all the controls touchy and the car difficult to drive smoothly. But if you drive the car day in and day out you get used to all these things and drive around them without thinking about it.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by cullan
I understand some of the gripes... the funny thing is that one of my biggest problems is the IPod interface, but that got the highest marks. Interesting. Apparently they really didn't use it much.
EXACTLY MY POINT!!! I'm assuming their ipod had 4 or 5 songs at most??? What a joke that it got the highest marks.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Comatose

Interesting followup story on the 6MT G37 Sedan:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...6mt/index.html

"I got into the Infiniti G37S sedan expecting the vague, unnatural clutch-to-throttle relationship we'd complained about in our Four Seasons G37S coupe, but I was shocked to find no such issue. Clutch take-up felt much lower and had a much clearer engagement point than I remember from the coupe. Did Infiniti address the issue for the 2009 model year? (A brand spokesperson says no.) Was our coupe a "Monday car"? Has my recollection of that car simply been exaggerated by hearing so many other staff members whine about it? I suspect the answer is a combination of all these factors, but I nevertheless came away liking the G37 more than I remembered."

So obviously this begs the question -- has there been improvements made to the 6MT for 09 ??
Old 02-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Serbiasrt8

do i see an Iphone connected ??how?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 AM
js3350z

my iphone connects... and the interface isn't slow at all on mine (I have 5 gigs of music on my 8 gig iphone)
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Gazan37
Banned

no looks like an ipod touch connected.

And while their complaining about the ride stiffness and course engine sound.
Trhese guys should really go to drive the 2009 A4

I went for a test drive today and when I got out after 10 minutes I felt like id been sitting on a wood slab covered in leather. And interior noise was AWEFULL -__-

Seriously. You just have to realize that your driving an AMAZING machine for 12 grand less than the 335i. Be happy.

Last edited by Gazan37; 02-08-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Serbiasrt8

Seriously. You just have to realize that your driving an AMAZING machine for 12 grand less than the G37. Be happy.[/QUOTE]

Ha??
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
So I did a lot of researching before we picked this car out for Her. We knew it had a small trunk. We knew the all-wheel-steering screwed with the "feel" of the car so we didn't want that option. Since it's Her car we had to get an auto, so the manual and all the info reguarding it (clutch, engine noise) is not an issue. We also knew that this would NOT be a four season car. Just about everything they had a problem with was already well documented in other publications and helped us pick out a G37 that is really different from their tester. All in all, I think they did an ok review if they would have left that 3 series crap out. We test drove a lot of 3 series and not one of them impressed us.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine 8 Month Review of '08 G37S