Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise

I've got this strange noise that I cant repliacate and I'm not sure I can describe. It sounds like its coming from somewhere behind the dash. I'll be driving along and all of a suddend it sounds like two walnuts being tapped together - loudly, but only once. There's nothing in any compartments sliding around that I could find and I started hearing in once it got cold around around here (thats only 35-40 degrees F for us). It only happens once or twice on my commute to work - about 7 miles each way, and I notice that it doesn't happen once the heater system is fully warm and the cabin is up to temp. Problem is I won't be able to replicate the problem so I cant bring it in - its very random.

Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by last lemming
I've got this strange noise that I cant repliacate and I'm not sure I can describe. It sounds like its coming from somewhere behind the dash. I'll be driving along and all of a suddend it sounds like two walnuts being tapped together - loudly, but only once. There's nothing in any compartments sliding around that I could find and I started hearing in once it got cold around around here (thats only 35-40 degrees F for us). It only happens once or twice on my commute to work - about 7 miles each way, and I notice that it doesn't happen once the heater system is fully warm and the cabin is up to temp. Problem is I won't be able to replicate the problem so I cant bring it in - its very random.

Any ideas?
Two things:

1) There is a TSB for a heater noise similar to what you're describing, except the TSB describes it as tapping a screw driver on a workbench. If this sounds familiar, you may want to take it in for the TSB.

2) I (and many others) experience some minor creaking sounds as a result of expansion/contraction from changes in temperature inside the cabin. These sounds come from the dash area, mainly around the nav. screen. Sometimes I just press on the bezel around the nav. screen and I can duplicate the creaking sounds. Personally, I think mine is expansion and contraction since it will happen very randomly both during the summer and winter times.

Go look for the TSB section on the forum and look for the one I just described. I hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
last lemming

I read the TSB, however mine doesn't increase with rpm, its just one, singular "tap" and thats it. It my only happen once or twice on my ride to work.

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Two things:

1) There is a TSB for a heater noise similar to what you're describing, except the TSB describes it as tapping a screw driver on a workbench. If this sounds familiar, you may want to take it in for the TSB.

2) I (and many others) experience some minor creaking sounds as a result of expansion/contraction from changes in temperature inside the cabin. These sounds come from the dash area, mainly around the nav. screen. Sometimes I just press on the bezel around the nav. screen and I can duplicate the creaking sounds. Personally, I think mine is expansion and contraction since it will happen very randomly both during the summer and winter times.

Go look for the TSB section on the forum and look for the one I just described. I hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
ZACHSQUATCH

Originally Posted by last lemming
I read the TSB, however mine doesn't increase with rpm, its just one, singular "tap" and thats it. It my only happen once or twice on my ride to work.
I've heard this twice since I've had the car. (A few weeks) Not sure what it is myself but since it was at beginning of warm up i assumed it was everything "settling"
Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
SOLISIMO

I had something but I found it was just my wife talking....
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
I had something but I found it was just my wife talking....
You can actually still hear that? Wait till you've been married as long as I have. It goes away.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You can actually still hear that? Wait till you've been married as long as I have. It goes away.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
i think i know what you are talking about. it sounds like a small pebble hitting the windshield. i've hear every now and then, and i know its not a rock or pebble because it also happens when there's no one in front of me.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
last lemming

sort of. I would say it's more akin the screwdriver on a wood bench tap sound. Just not repetitious. Just one tap.

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
i think i know what you are talking about. it sounds like a small pebble hitting the windshield. i've hear every now and then, and i know its not a rock or pebble because it also happens when there's no one in front of me.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Oggie

Could be the shroud below the windshield causing this noise.