Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Molecular Adhesive...what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molecular Adhesive...what is this?

When I bought my '09 G37x coupe a couple weeks ago, the dealership told me about this special paint protection that I pay a couple hundred bucks for. Long story short, I bought the sales pitch and he described it as a molecular adhesive that protects the paint.

Anyone heard of this? Tried to google it, but couldn't come up with anything.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
xcess torq

Ask them what are the molecules that bond?

It is probably nothing more than a commercial wax that makes claims of "molecular" bonding. In my opinion, you paid for a wax job with paint sealant that will last about 6 months best case. Don't forget you have clear coat, thus nothing will bond to the paint.

Before anyone puts anything like that on the car, you should know what or who makes it.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
w0ady

ya im sure all it is is a good wax job. couple 100 isnt too bad for that i guess. still most dealerships arent the best when it comes to car care though so be careful.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
It is probably a profesionally applied industrial grade sealant. Read the fine print on the guarentee. The one we sell comes with a 5 year guarentee.

If anything discolors/fades/peels., the company that applies it will do what it takes to make it look new.

On the flip side, I've yet to actually see a claim happen. Some people choose to ignore the product, while others swear by it.

FWIW, I have it on my cars. I wasn't sold on it until I saw some extreme demonstrations, some of which involved flames, blow torches, spray paint, etc. (this may not apply to your particular product)

Also, we don't offer this type of protection on vehicles with the self-healing clear coat, as it does not properly ahere to the clear coat.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want good sealants, look at either Zaino or Menzerna. These are great (used both), last a relatively long time and make your car beautiful... and offer you the same protection if not better than the crap the dealer is trying to sell you.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Mike

If you regularly wash/wax/detail your car, then I'd pass on it.

The products are targetted towards those that don't actively maintain the appearance of their cars.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:25 PM
w0ady

is wax really necessary or can you get by with a nice glossy sealant after a good wash?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Mike

sealant lasts much longer than wax, typically, but it doesn't have the same look.

Check out the detailing section on driver =X
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
w0ady

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
sealant lasts much longer than wax, typically, but it doesn't have the same look.

Check out the detailing section on driver =X
ya i can read there for days haha. im still learning a bit but im lazy so im figuring out my best plan slowly but surely.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Mike

I do sealant every 2 months, and wax every 2 weeks, generally. (I wax over the sealant )

Oh, and try sealant on your windows. It works wonders in the rain
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
machinist

Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys. I've never been more confused with how I should maintain the car though. I heard a different answer from literally every expert that I've spoken with. Some say just a basic soap + water wash at the touchless car wash. Some say ONR + quick detailing wax. Some say just a basic wash at a do-it-yourself car wash and then apply ONR afterwards, since it's VERY snowy & dirty in Toronto. I did notice that I have swirls, but my buddy at the dealership said that the self healing clear coat will activate in the summer time and that I shouldn't worry about it.

So how about this process:
1) Do it yourself car wash and just spray it with water to remove snow, salt & dirt;
2) Apply ONR
3) Apply Aquawax or skip this step and just...
4) dry the car with The Absorber

I'm so confused :<
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
It is probably a profesionally applied industrial grade sealant. Read the fine print on the guarentee. The one we sell comes with a 5 year guarentee.

If anything discolors/fades/peels., the company that applies it will do what it takes to make it look new.

On the flip side, I've yet to actually see a claim happen. Some people choose to ignore the product, while others swear by it.

FWIW, I have it on my cars. I wasn't sold on it until I saw some extreme demonstrations, some of which involved flames, blow torches, spray paint, etc. (this may not apply to your particular product)

Also, we don't offer this type of protection on vehicles with the self-healing clear coat, as it does not properly ahere to the clear coat.
What product is that ? and where can i get some ?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Mike

That depends on how thoroughly you want to wash the car...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by w0ady
ya i can read there for days haha. im still learning a bit but im lazy so im figuring out my best plan slowly but surely.
Get yourself some good sealant/wax... dont go for the crap the dealer tries to sell you to make an extra buck...

I personally use Menzerna FMJ as a sealant and have different acrylic sprays which give me the shine of the wax... (I am lazy)

For cleaning glass, get some Stoner Invisible Glass, follow it by RainX to repel water...

For tires, the Zaino tire treatment is awesome.

This board has a very nice discussion by the way with people's favorite products!!! Menzerna, Poorboys, Zaino will always be thrown around as good brands by detailers... still have to hear about "that wax the dealer uses." Ohhh, and if you want to save yourself a lot of time and sweat, get a random orbital... makes life easier and gets you on your way much faster.

For leather, I either use Zaino for a quick clean or Leatherique for more intensive treatment.