Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

smokes from Front bumper area

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
melz09G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car is smoking too!

Did you find an answer to your smoking car? I bought my G37 (2009) about 3.5 months ago. About 4 weeks ago the temp got "cold" about 40's (that is cold for SE Texas) and I drove about 40 minutes in the rain (highway) home from work. When I was getting in to my house, for some reason, I turned around to look at the car, and it was smoking. I thought the thing was going to blow up, so I called the dealer. They came and towed the car to the service center. They told me they had checked everything and there was nothing wrong with the car. Today it happened again. Drove to work in the cold/rainy highway for about 40 minutes and when I parked in the garage, there was smoke. I opened the hood and saw the smoke was coming from down under through the front grille. I called the dealer and told the service guy. He went on to say that the same thing happened when he drove one of the cars to lunch. He talked to the tech and the tech said that is the way the car was designed. Apparently the cold weather, rain splashing on from cars driving in front of me and the hot engine make the exhaust steam like that. That sounds like bull crap to me. I've owned a honda for over 10 years, and it's never done anything like that. I am afraid one day I will park in front of our glass building and they will call the firefighters thinking my car is burning. Next thing you know, they will be hosing my car down! Embarassing and should not be that way. I plan to go out to another dealer's service center to see what's up with that. Please let me know what you found out.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM
melz09G37

was the heat sensor for the somke issue or the exthaust?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by melz09G37
Did you find an answer to your smoking car? I bought my G37 (2009) about 3.5 months ago. About 4 weeks ago the temp got "cold" about 40's (that is cold for SE Texas) and I drove about 40 minutes in the rain (highway) home from work. When I was getting in to my house, for some reason, I turned around to look at the car, and it was smoking. I thought the thing was going to blow up, so I called the dealer. They came and towed the car to the service center. They told me they had checked everything and there was nothing wrong with the car. Today it happened again. Drove to work in the cold/rainy highway for about 40 minutes and when I parked in the garage, there was smoke. I opened the hood and saw the smoke was coming from down under through the front grille. I called the dealer and told the service guy. He went on to say that the same thing happened when he drove one of the cars to lunch. He talked to the tech and the tech said that is the way the car was designed. Apparently the cold weather, rain splashing on from cars driving in front of me and the hot engine make the exhaust steam like that. That sounds like bull crap to me. I've owned a honda for over 10 years, and it's never done anything like that. I am afraid one day I will park in front of our glass building and they will call the firefighters thinking my car is burning. Next thing you know, they will be hosing my car down! Embarassing and should not be that way. I plan to go out to another dealer's service center to see what's up with that. Please let me know what you found out.
It's not smoke. It's steam.

Rainy day = water. Water + heat = steam. Water + heat + cool air temp = a lot of visible steam.

I don't see the problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 PM
melz09G37

Originally Posted by mindonmatter
It's not smoke. It's steam.

Rainy day = water. Water + heat = steam. Water + heat + cool air temp = a lot of visible steam.

I don't see the problem.

When you say 'you don't see the problem' do you mean that hasn't happened to you, or you see this as normal?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by melz09G37
When you say 'you don't see the problem' do you mean that hasn't happened to you, or you see this as normal?
It has happened to me and I see this as normal.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
PictureMeRolin

Mine didn't smoke, but it smelled like burning rubber the first few days I had it. My wife bought a G37 sedan about 3 weeks after I got mine and her's did it too. It eventually went away on both of our cars and I didn't trip out because, hey, it's under warranty right?.

If you have smoke coming out id have it checked out...