Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dead Battery Already

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
battery jump from Infiniti customer service

Low battery just from having radio on for maybe 30 minutes (volts dropped to ~11.7Vdc) in garage, and starter did not get enough juice to start car. Called Infiniti customer service and got a jump start in about 20 min since the service person was nearby already (however had to help him with an extension cord to his little portable jump starter). From service manual: "Starter Motor INFOID:0000000001665993 Type S114-932
HITACHI make, Reduction gear type
System voltage 12V, No-load Terminal voltage 11V,
Current [A] Less than 110. >2700rpm. "
Not sure what current is required if actually starting a cold motor.
Vehicle has only 3600 miles, built 10/07, purch 9/08, but gets at least a 20 mile run every other day...after starting, saw volts go to 14.2 for first few minutes, then settle down to 13V, all with headlights on.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 AM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a problem with the 09s as well?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ufo
have had to jump mine a couple times after having the radio on for about 1 hr. I know the G has a lot more electronics (smart key, etc) but this seems pretty lame. Took it to Autozone, their tester said it was weak. Taking it back to dealer tomorrow. If they won't replace it will probably just buy a new Duralast Gold at Autozone. $90 and three year free replacement.

10500K, 11 months
Dealer tested, battery tested weak. Dealer replaced under warranty. Service manager told me the replacement batteries are made by Interstate, whereas the OEM are Japanese. And I thought the japanese were masters of all things electrical, go figure
Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
mphouston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1 year-old 2008 G37, 14K miles. I am on my third battery. Main symptom is a dead battery after a period of no use.

6 Months after purchase, the first one was dead after 2 weeks of no use. Dealer replaced battery.

6 months later, second one is dead after 1 week of no use. Dealer replaced battery again.

I am on the third one now with no long periods of no use (3 days max so far).

I am hoping it really is 2 bad batteries, not some mysterious drain or battery eating virus

BTW, I generally keep the seat heaters off and the headlights in Auto. Trunk/Windows/Doors closed carefully.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mphouston
I have a 1 year-old 2008 G37, 14K miles. I am on my third battery. Main symptom is a dead battery after a period of no use.

6 Months after purchase, the first one was dead after 2 weeks of no use. Dealer replaced battery.

6 months later, second one is dead after 1 week of no use. Dealer replaced battery again.

I am on the third one now with no long periods of no use (3 days max so far).

I am hoping it really is 2 bad batteries, not some mysterious drain or battery eating virus

BTW, I generally keep the seat heaters off and the headlights in Auto. Trunk/Windows/Doors closed carefully.
These would have to have been bad batteries, or else the dealer would have just charged them, right? In my case, they load tested it and it didn't pass, which equals bad battery. But also in my case leaving the car sitting for several days did not cause a problem. Confusing. Whatever the cause, having your nearly brand new high-end car not start sucks. I would get a second opinion from an independent source.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 AM
ifinity

can a low voltage (say 11.0Vdc) cause damage to electronics? or just high Amp draw by the starter motor that would overheat its wiring? I have a mechanic friend that says electronic damage is possible. Could this result in some of the other weird TSB's issued for the car, like rpm surge or VVEL knocking/reprograms, Ipod, or Nav problems? If true, Infiniti would jump to repair to avoid more costly warranty issues later?

Too bad Nissan does not detail more of the workings of the vehicle or have their engineers monitoring issues on forums like these. Computer hw and sw manufacturers have support forums on their websites and informed company personnel giving answers.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Teknics

Alright so to help this yea i kno off topic but wouldnt a umm audio capactior typically a 2 farad help the issue.. My 2 farad cap basically started my towncar when the battery died because of the capacitor storing all that extra power...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Heat

I am at 28k and mine has died 3 times total. 1 at 4 months, another at 14months, and another at 17 months. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they say that the battery is fine and try to tell me that I might have left something on, which I know damn well I didnt. Next time it happens, I am going to call them directly and have them come to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Teknics

Originally Posted by Heat
I am at 28k and mine has died 3 times total. 1 at 4 months, another at 14months, and another at 17 months. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they say that the battery is fine and try to tell me that I might have left something on, which I know damn well I didnt. Next time it happens, I am going to call them directly and have them come to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but, i just got this g37 handbook and it says it has a feature that it cut the car off when something is left on before the battery dies????
Old 03-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Heat

Originally Posted by Teknics
but, i just got this g37 handbook and it says it has a feature that it cut the car off when something is left on before the battery dies????
exactly.....I read that too.....which is why I know that the stealership is trying to pull one over on me.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Teknics

Originally Posted by Heat
exactly.....I read that too.....which is why I know that the stealership is trying to pull one over on me.
Psshh You already kno bro.... ****ing damn stealerships
Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
aznutx

@heat, u still using infiniti replacement batteries or did u swap out with aftermarkets ones?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 AM
ifinity

from service manual Power Control System, page PCS-39:
"BATTERY SAVER SYSTEM
When all the following conditions are met for 60 minutes, the battery saver system will cut off the power supply to prevent battery discharge.
• The ignition switch is in the ACC position
• All doors are closed
• A/T selector lever is in the P position"

so if sitting in car, listening to radio and the door is opened during the 60 minute countdown, perhaps the Battery Saver (BS) time out is reset?

Also, service manual makes reference to "Interior room lamp battery saver", so maybe battery saver only turns off interior lamp?

Still think 60 minutes with the radio on drawing 6 Amps in ACC mode is just too much for those of us with a weak battery. If Voltage drops below 11.7 Volts, that could be enough to stop the car from starting, although I have been able to start with the battery voltage as low as 11.4Vdc once (battery reading from Greddy Informeter Touch, which only activates, the way I have it connected, when the IGN mode is On (without foot on brake, before trying to start)). As stated previously, the battery is supposed to be a 62 Amp-Hour unit = 6 A for 10 hours, I would assume. Need someone with a brand new battery to test how long Voltage can stay above 12.

Last edited by ifinity; 03-26-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 AM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

My car has been on jacks for about 3 weeks and when I went to go start it, it started to rattle....I jumped it and when it started, my driver side windows went nutts! now everytime i open or close the door wether the car is on or off, the window will go down? gotta take it to the dealer, im pretty pissed and im only at 15k
Old 03-26-2009, 03:12 AM
ifinity

will the trick of holding the window switch down for 15 seconds, then up for 15, to reset the range work? Search for power window resetting on this site. https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...n-windows.html maybe.

Or maybe need to do the ECU reset trick of blipping the accelerator pedal...search again for better details in a thread. But power windows would be the Body Control Module, I think.

Or maybe call Infiniti Customer Service and use them to tow to dealer, drain battery, and let them test and replace?

Last edited by ifinity; 03-26-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Already