G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dead Battery Already

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After many low battery indications, dealer finally replaced the Vent Control Valve per the TSB just before warranty expired, plus another new battery (they had only changed the battery 2 yrs ago). Also had the front brake pad replacement TSB and the dash cover replaced just under the warranty limit. Hope that takes care of me for a while, however the wrinkled drivers seat is back after it had been replaced before. The car would now be near perfect if not for the front end weak paint.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Summer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen to me. I got online and found that Infiniti is aware of this problem. There is a recall of some sort. Something with the battery and valves (girl talking here) not shuting off so continues to drain the battery. I was going to look back at my paperwork so I would know the right lingo but forgot. I called Infiniti and told them what I found and they said they were looking at the same info. Changed out the "valves" or whatever. Put in a new battery and never had another problem. Just purchased a coupe and same thing happened. They supposedly changed out the "valves" in this one and bigger battery. So far so good.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM
surfwagon

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My battery died today. I've got around 2,800 miles on the odo. I'm surprised this is a common issue with this car. Especially since this model has been out for several years. I could understand if this was the first model year.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought I'd post in this thread and not start another one.

Yesterday my 1 year old battery died after my car had been sitting for ~2 days. I charged it and took it to the dealership this morning requesting a TSB repair. I was able to read all about it on this forum, before visiting the dealership (thanks all).

The first service writer (who I will not name) was trying his hardest to make me pay for labor and parts for the repair. Needless to say, I was not happy. One of the senior service writers stepped in and informed him that the repair would be free, even though I was ~ a month out of warranty. Thank God for small favors.

Anyway, here is my synopsis on the problem, from my experience:

Early signs
  • Barely noticeable hesitation to start
  • The CD player seems to want to change disk (almost like it is restarting)

What to do
  • If you are away from home and you experience a noticeable hesitation to start, but the car does start, drive it. I don't know how long but I'd say 20 or so miles at least, or better yet, drive it home or to the dealership.
  • If you shut the car off anywhere other than a dealership, charge the battery.

What not to do
  • Buy a battery - That will be a waste of money.
  • Pay for the repair - especially if you are under warranty or have taken you car to the dealership recently, and they didn't check to see if you had the repair done.

Problem
  • The vent control valve needs to be replaced
  • The battery needs to be upgraded
  • The ECM needs to be reprogrammed

All under warranty.

I don't have the TSB number, but a quick search in this forum (or perhaps this thread) will produce a hit for you.

Edit: TSB ITB 10-010

Last edited by Coupe Daddy; 11-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM
surfwagon

I got my car back today. Faulty battery. Replaced under warranty. FYI, according to the service guy, the vent control valve is a problem that is specific to 2008 and early 2009 G's. Then new version of the valve went into every car produced after mid 2009.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Is there a way to tell if the vent control valve has been replaced? Since I bought my 08 used.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
surfwagon

If you bought it from a dealer they might have a service record. You could call.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM
ef1018

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 09 battery died yesterday. Starter would click but not turn the motor over. AAA came out and it jumped it .Started right up. Guy from AAA was good. Before he unhooked the jump pack had me turn on lights,heater,AC,to put drain on Alternator so when he unhooked the pack the Alternator surge would not fry relays and modules . Said that is especially so on All the newer cars. I read the OE Infiniti batteries are junk. I got 3 years out of it so I guess I was lucky. Went to NAPA and got a good battery. More CCA and reserve capacity that OE with a 75 month warranty. $100 and an easy 20 minute swap. Did have to reset the auto windows. Open the window,then hold the switch up to close.hold it for 5 seconds after fully closed and its set. Need to do for each one.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
railton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

After four seperate jumpers by CAA over the past year I thought I would start investigating a dead battery thread on this forum. Glad I found this one.
Today,
TSB ITB 10-010 was applied to my G37S at my local Infiniti dealer.
Thanks!
Railton
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by railton
After four seperate jumpers by CAA over the past year I thought I would start investigating a dead battery thread on this forum. Glad I found this one.
Today,
TSB ITB 10-010 was applied to my G37S at my local Infiniti dealer.
Thanks!
Railton
Your sig states you have a 2010. The TSB doesnt apply.

Oh, and you dont have an M6, you have a 6MT!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
I have been having this same issue on my recently purchased 08 coupe 6mt, will be talk to dealer to have the TSB work done and am having a new interstate battery put in!

Recommend g37 owners have a jump box in their trunk! Has definately saved my ***
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
I was having my radar detector tell me every time I started my car that I had low voltage and It was cranking a lot before the engine would start. I was over a year out of warranty and dealer wanted something like $600 to do the TSB. All I did was go buy a Napa 24F battery and all has been well since. My music even thumps a bit louder and cleaner and I noticed that my transmission shifts smoother without delay when shifting through gears. The main problem is that Infiniti put too small a battery in the car in the first place.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Josh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny my 08 just started struggling on startup, hasnt died yet though. im thinking my car is ok as this is the first time i noticed any signs of a weak battery. batteries are suppose to last 4-5 maybe 6 years?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by mummy2
I was having my radar detector tell me every time I started my car that I had low voltage and It was cranking a lot before the engine would start. I was over a year out of warranty and dealer wanted something like $600 to do the TSB. All I did was go buy a Napa 24F battery and all has been well since. My music even thumps a bit louder and cleaner and I noticed that my transmission shifts smoother without delay when shifting through gears. The main problem is that Infiniti put too small a battery in the car in the first place.
Yeah, I was a year out too, and the rookie service writer tried to make me pay for it too. A seasoned service writer stepped in and I was able to get the fix for free. I expected that. My primary argument was that I had just got a 30K service last year and they should have done it then.

BTW, your new battery doesn't matter. The unrepaired system will eventually drain it prematurely.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by Josh
funny my 08 just started struggling on startup, hasnt died yet though. im thinking my car is ok as this is the first time i noticed any signs of a weak battery. batteries are suppose to last 4-5 maybe 6 years?
This is true. I replaced my battery last year (myself) and it died 12 months later. That's when I knew I had a problem.

That hesitant startup is a symptom. Just charge the battery and take your car in to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Already