G37S coupe driving habits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 AM
6chr0nic4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S coupe driving habits?

for those of you that got stick... what are your driving habits like

what do u usually shift at?

i shift at around 2.5 - 3 range and my buddy keeps bugging me about it not being good for the engine... saying since its a sports car i should be ripping it at higher revs... ive heard this elsewhere as well is it true?

i usually shift around that range for better gas milege...

Last edited by 6chr0nic4; 12-12-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 AM
todd92

Higher revs are never better for any engine. I shift around 3k in normal driving and between 5k and 7k when I'm having fun.

I have no idea what you are trying to convey about your clutch grabbing hard. Mine works fine. Sounds like you need to learn how to shift right.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
KcKJ93

i shift between 3-4k on regular driving. it's ur driving habits (need to know how much ur gassing and clutching) that need to adjust when ur at diff rpms... so get use to it. =)
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your buddy is an idiot. Tell him I said so. Shift wherever the hell you want to. How can shifting at a lower RPM be bad for the engine of a sports car or any other car for that matter? Please have him explain his "logic" behind that.

If you abruptly engage your clutch, it's going to grab some. If you do it smoothly and more gradual it will be smoother. As long as your car is moving fast enough for the next gear so that you don't lug the engine when you shift (like shifting into 6th at 20 MPH), there's no problem. Your car and your driving are just fine.

Last edited by Black Betty; 12-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
AndrewDDS

Somewhat off-topic, but is engine-lug what causes the jerkiness during an un-smooth upshift? I know other people have mentioned difficulty in smoothly shifting from 1st to 2nd, and I occasionally bust out a terrible shift here and there (usually when I'm not paying attention).

But it's not what I would expect from the clutch engaging abruptly (forward jerk and maybe a tire chirp). What I experience when I get a jerky upshift is actually more of an abrupt deceleration, where my head jerks forward, then accelerates like usual. Is that because my revs just aren't matched perfectly (either too high or too low), or because they're specifically one or the other?

Sorry to thread-jack!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your buddy is an idiot. Tell him I said so.
I second that.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Somewhat off-topic, but is engine-lug what causes the jerkiness during an un-smooth upshift? I know other people have mentioned difficulty in smoothly shifting from 1st to 2nd, and I occasionally bust out a terrible shift here and there (usually when I'm not paying attention).

But it's not what I would expect from the clutch engaging abruptly (forward jerk and maybe a tire chirp). What I experience when I get a jerky upshift is actually more of an abrupt deceleration, where my head jerks forward, then accelerates like usual. Is that because my revs just aren't matched perfectly (either too high or too low), or because they're specifically one or the other?

Sorry to thread-jack!!
Sounds like it's your revs not matching perfectly and the clutch is doing some catch up. Engine lug is when your rpm is too low for the gear you're in, car shakes and feels like it might stall.

I usually shift at 7k so I don't know what you guys are talking about
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Sounds like it's your revs not matching perfectly and the clutch is doing some catch up. Engine lug is when your rpm is too low for the gear you're in, car shakes and feels like it might stall.

I usually shift at 7k so I don't know what you guys are talking about
I dont shift till I bounce it off the rev limiter. Catch up, grandpa!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
chasemyaccord

If you haven't even passed your break in mileage yet, then your buddy is definitely a certified idiot. I shift anywhere from 2.5 to 4K on average. If I want to have fun, I hover around 5K. Rarely go above 6K...although that might change now that gas price is so cheap hahaha
Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I dont shift till I bounce it off the rev limiter. Catch up, grandpa!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

bouncing off the limiter slows you down!! Gotta do it right before, haha.

My driving habits are normal, with a little bit of spirited driving. I highly doubt that driving it to higher revs would impact it anyways. Its a performance engine, not a toyota prius.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
EVO-to-G

normal driving is between 2.5k-3k...i bring it to 4k for some extra pull....heck sometimes i shift at 2k (just for the hell of it...cause my old car wouldn't be moving at 2k so i always shifted hight...its kinda nice to shift low and have that low end power)
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
EVO-to-G

Sorry to thread-jack!!
feeling the jerk is prob because your shifting to slow or too fast...prob too slow since you cay you feel decleratoin and your head jerk foward....sometimes you don't realize but the rpm's might drop pretty quick so you get a jerk cause its needs to catch up to where its supposed to be. Try shifting faster...not crazy fast...but just a little quicker and smoother (try letting the clutch out quicker after you shifted)
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by EVO-to-G
feeling the jerk is prob because your shifting to slow or too fast...prob too slow since you cay you feel decleratoin and your head jerk foward....sometimes you don't realize but the rpm's might drop pretty quick so you get a jerk cause its needs to catch up to where its supposed to be. Try shifting faster...not crazy fast...but just a little quicker and smoother (try letting the clutch out quicker after you shifted)
Thanks! I'd say 9/10 my shifts are really smooth, but occasionally I'm messing with the radio or talking on the phone and I'll catch myself off guard with a neck-snapping upshift. Since I'm never paying attention when it happens, I haven't been able to identify what I do differently between the smooth shifts and the terrible ones!!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Thanks! I'd say 9/10 my shifts are really smooth, but occasionally I'm messing with the radio or talking on the phone and I'll catch myself off guard with a neck-snapping upshift. Since I'm never paying attention when it happens, I haven't been able to identify what I do differently between the smooth shifts and the terrible ones!!
I dont even realize when i shift anymore.. its all becomes second nature eventually. If i'm messing around though i do sometimes tend to mess up a shift and will be like "oh my fault".

Quick Reply: G37S coupe driving habits?