Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Voice Recognition help and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM
canadoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voice Recognition help and questions

Well starting late 2008 and now on the 2009 models, the voice command recognition on the G have been neutered!
What use is saying cliate control to turn it on and off if you have to then manually adjust the temperature!
Same for the radio!
And to voice dial someone in your phone book requires:
say phonebook then wait for the voice wench to say then say name or number form your phonebook....then say the name........ then wait for her to then say say dial..... then say dial.....Used ot be able to just say call (voice tag here).

so Does anybody know if maybe there is a way to hack the system or enter some hiddne menu to reenable these?
Otherwise the voice rec sstem is effectively useless as it is faster/easier to use the touchscreen and steering controls for everyhting.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Only the first batch of 08's had the 06-07 nav. No there is not a way to take it back.

You can, however, use alternate command mode.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Having a fully finctioning voice command I must say it is the best Voice command system in all regards. You can actually say "driver temp" or "passenger temp" and it will adjust only that one you ask. Infiniti really needs to get this back for everyone if possible.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
canadoc

Alternate command is still very neutered.
I really dont understand why infiniti did this unless people were complaining nav was making too many errors causing distractions. I still think they should allow an option to enable it
Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by canadoc
Alternate command is still very neutered.
I really dont understand why infiniti did this unless people were complaining nav was making too many errors causing distractions. I still think they should allow an option to enable it
You just answered your own question.

The infiniti nav is rated the best on the market because it doesn't make mistakes.

Functionality must be sacrificed for convenience...

Did I mention that my voice is one of the "samples" used to test voice recognition? I had to sit and read a bajillion commands that were being recorded as well as numbers, spelling things out, etc.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
The infiniti nav is rated the best on the market because it doesn't make mistakes.
What type of mistakes are you talking about compared to others? You mean with the voice commands, routing, etc?

Did I mention that my voice is one of the "samples" used to test voice recognition?
What would be cooler was if you were the voice of the nav. You'd probably be better than that overly chatty woman that they have. She doesn't need to tell me the same long highway name twice in 15seconds. This is one of the things I appreciate about the BMW nav. Initially I was a little thrown by it, but now I appreciate that it is more consise.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Snareman

Hey Mike, a bit OT here, but as long as you're reading - do you know what the story on claybarring the new paint is? No one seems to have the final accurate story for sure.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
damn i forgot i even had this... LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 PM
canadoc

You just answered your own question.

Functionality must be sacrificed for convenience...

Did I mention that my voice is one of the "samples" used to test voice recognition? I had to sit and read a bajillion commands that were being recorded as well as numbers, spelling things out, etc.
Well I understand that but then allow a setting to enable or disable the extra commands. The do so now but without alternative commands its completely useless. With alternate commands there is some basic functionality but it's easier to do it using buttons and ***** making it worthless.

I wonder who to contact at infiniti to let my feelings be known. Maye with enough pressure they can firmware update things back to last years setup
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there a newer Nav version on the '09s? Any significant differences in features?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
SFG37S

Quote.............."And to voice dial someone in your phone book requires:
say phonebook then wait for the voice wench to say then say name or number form your phonebook."

I named her Dora............................As in dumb Dora.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
yakuzapop

I agree people who complain about Infiniti navi system.
But compare to over priced Mercedes-Benz navi, hell good!!!
its hard to have all nice features together.
For example, sorry for Lexus and Acura lovers, but Lexus and Acura has really nice Navi system(they do have hella best navi system); I traded my 07 TL-s for G37. Now I can say what!!! the only thing I lilked about Acrua was Navi since I have G37. nothing else comparable!!!

don't complain there are worse navi system than we have
I don't want to say its MB !!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Otherwise the voice rec sstem is effectively useless as it is faster/easier to use the touchscreen and steering controls for everyhting.
I have to disagree with you on this one. The voice recognition system works quite well for destination inputs while driving, negating the need for ever hacking the system, and all the troubles that often result. Furthermore, there are hundreds of additional commands that make the system quite useful overall.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
canadoc

Originally Posted by Chekov
I have to disagree with you on this one. The voice recognition system works quite well for destination inputs while driving, negating the need for ever hacking the system, and all the troubles that often result. Furthermore, there are hundreds of additional commands that make the system quite useful overall.
you haven't read my post.
The old (i.e. early 2008) nav had hundred's of commands. The new one has a few dozen max and in most cases limited.
You can no longer adjust temeprature or switch to different presets or directly voice dial a phonebook number......
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Snareman

you haven't read my post.
The old (i.e. early 2008) nav had hundred's of commands. The new one has a few dozen max and in most cases limited.
You can no longer adjust temeprature or switch to different presets or directly voice dial a phonebook number......
Can you use it to input an address while you are driving. If so, how well does it work for that? That was one of the big annoyances I had with the nav in my G35, which was a nice change in my 335.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition help and questions