Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Voice Recognition help and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snareman

I have had two Honda NAVS and an AMG with the COMMAND system and the Infiniti is far superior in my opinion. With the Honda voice you have to say a command like "state" then press the voice button again for "city" then again for "street" and so on. That blows.

The Infiniti starts with you pressing the Voice button on the steering wheel ONCE and saying "destination street address". The next prompt is "what state please?" you say the state, then "what City please?", you say the city, then "what street please?", you say the street, then "what street number please?"; Now this is cool, if you say twenty two O three she will repeat back two thousand two hundred three or whatever an equivalent is to your long number. You don't have to say two two zero three as she knows how to interpret what you say.

It is the best of all the systems I have used.

Since mine was an early build I can say "Xm channel 46" and she will repeat that and change the channel for me. I can also say "driver's temperature 72" and she will adjust that as well. Lots of commands at your fingertips and extremely user friendly.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Snareman

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Snareman

I have had two Honda NAVS and an AMG with the COMMAND system and the Infiniti is far superior in my opinion. With the Honda voice you have to say a command like "state" then press the voice button again for "city" then again for "street" and so on. That blows.

The Infiniti starts with you pressing the Voice button on the steering wheel ONCE and saying "destination street address". The next prompt is "what state please?" you say the state, then "what City please?", you say the city, then "what street please?", you say the street, then "what street number please?"; Now this is cool, if you say twenty two O three she will repeat back two thousand two hundred three or whatever an equivalent is to your long number. You don't have to say two two zero three as she knows how to interpret what you say.

It is the best of all the systems I have used.

Since mine was an early build I can say "Xm channel 46" and she will repeat that and change the channel for me. I can also say "driver's temperature 72" and she will adjust that as well. Lots of commands at your fingertips and extremely user friendly.

That's similar to what I have in my BMW, although it doesn't necessarilly work that well in practice. Putting in addresses is often a little frustrating as it often seems to interpret the wrong street name, etc. Maybe its better in the G. So how much of that stuff is now crippled in the 09's?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

If she thinks there are more than one answer to a input she will give you numbered options that pop up on the screen. For example if you said "OHIO", she may repeat back "OHIO, OR SAY A NUMBER PLEASE" and on the screen will be a few additional numbered choices like maybe 1. IDAHO 2. IOWA, etc.
You just say "2" if you really meant IOWA. Pretty simple
Once again, she leads you to the next choice and you never have to press the voice button again. You just stare down the road and drive and speak without searching for or pressing buttons.

I don't believe any of the NAV commands as I have illustrated are not available in the '09 model. I believe it is just the HVAC, RADIO, PHONE commands that have been limited. The NAV system also has several different maps from split maps to 3D, etc. and you can change those with voice as well. Perhaps those voice commands are not in the new models, but I would literally have to have both cars side-by-side to try and sort out what was lost in the later '08s and '09s.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by canadoc
you haven't read my post.
The old (i.e. early 2008) nav had hundred's of commands. The new one has a few dozen max and in most cases limited.
You can no longer adjust temeprature or switch to different presets or directly voice dial a phonebook number......
I did read your post, and was just commenting on your contention that the “voice rec sstem (sic) “ is effectively useless, which as I pointed out, is inherently not true.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
07 functionality was taken out to improve accuracy. The 07-08+ nav has over 99.8% accuracy. How many of you have had the nav completely botch up what you told it unless you had multiple people talking and/or significant outside noise?

06-07 did have more functionality, but it was terrible in terms of recognition compared to the new one.

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Is there a newer Nav version on the '09s? Any significant differences in features?
The 2nd batch on all have 08-09 nav. There is no significant difference between the two; voice recognition is improved, and there is new map data, but the commands are the same.

you haven't read my post.
The old (i.e. early 2008) nav had hundred's of commands. The new one has a few dozen max and in most cases limited.
You can no longer adjust temeprature or switch to different presets or directly voice dial a phonebook number......
early 08 cars had the 06-07 Nav. You can still dial directly out of your phonebook, or dial a number directly. Enable alternate command mode. There are still HUNDREDS of functions available, that are unlisted. It's up to you to figure out what they are

Hint: You can say "dial <voicetag>" or "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" at the main menu with alternate command mode on.

OT: Re: scratchshield paint: Clay is okay, orbitals are not. No buffing the clear-coat.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
If she thinks there are more than one answer to a input she will give you numbered options that pop up on the screen. For example if you said "OHIO", she may repeat back "OHIO, OR SAY A NUMBER PLEASE" and on the screen will be a few additional numbered choices like maybe 1. IDAHO 2. IOWA, etc.
You just say "2" if you really meant IOWA. Pretty simple
Once again, she leads you to the next choice and you never have to press the voice button again. You just stare down the road and drive and speak without searching for or pressing buttons.

I don't believe any of the NAV commands as I have illustrated are not available in the '09 model. I believe it is just the HVAC, RADIO, PHONE commands that have been limited. The NAV system also has several different maps from split maps to 3D, etc. and you can change those with voice as well. Perhaps those voice commands are not in the new models, but I would literally have to have both cars side-by-side to try and sort out what was lost in the later '08s and '09s.
There are a lot of features that were taken out, but unless you already were familiar with them or aware of them, you'll never miss them. You're a perfect example; because you don't know what was taken out, you don't miss them.

The previous nav allowed you commands such as "Destination nearby japanese restaurant", and it'll instantly list the 5 closest japanese restaurants
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know the Naav maps have been updated on the 09's but have not had achance to play to much with it. My biggest regret about crashing my 08 was that I had all the voice comands and it rocked. Now I don't even use it it is pointless. Infiniti you got this one wrong.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote=mike@riverside;2484944
OT: Re: scratchshield paint: Clay is okay, orbitals are not. No buffing the clear-coat.[/quote]

ya clayed mine already. Was waiting to see what the detail shop is goin to do to the scratches the dealer put in my car. They are paying for it so we will see what auto deatails has to say about the new paint and how they get scratches out of it.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Mike

Oh I totally agree.... the expanded voice commands were awesome.

I told the Nav engineer that was here the same thing you guys are saying... they should re-insert the commands, but have them hidden away deep in settings so only the people who KNOW they want it and will put up with less-than-steller voice recognition can enable it.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM
canadoc

Originally Posted by Chekov
I did read your post, and was just commenting on your contention that the “voice rec sstem (sic) “ is effectively useless, which as I pointed out, is inherently not true.
but it is IMHO because you cant completely command HVAC or audio requiring you to use the control buttons anyway thereby not savign anytime.
When you have to take 3 voice commands plus listen to her ask you a question before each before calling a number, it would be easier to just use the buttons to make a call
Old 12-07-2008, 03:42 PM
canadoc

[QUOTE=mike@riverside;2484944]07 functionality was taken out to improve accuracy. The 07-08+ nav has over 99.8% accuracy. How many of you have had the nav completely botch up what you told it unless you had multiple people talking and/or significant outside noise?

06-07 did have more functionality, but it was terrible in terms of recognition compared to the new one.

The 2nd batch on all have 08-09 nav. There is no significant difference between the two; voice recognition is improved, and there is new map data, but the commands are the same.

early 08 cars had the 06-07 Nav. You can still dial directly out of your phonebook, or dial a number directly. Enable alternate command mode. There are still HUNDREDS of functions available, that are unlisted. It's up to you to figure out what they are

Hint: You can say "dial <voicetag>" or "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" at the main menu with alternate command mode on./QUOTE]

Did they really change the nav unit from early o8 to late o8 or did they just change the software. I have not heard of any visual differences.

One big issue I have right now, is that if i want to call someone using a phonebook entry with voice tag(even with alternate command mode on), i have to say phone book, then wait for nav to say "choose an entry number ....."then say it then she says say dial and i have to say dial. take like twenty seconds and 3 commands. Is there a faster way?
Is there a way to ask a local destination without having to tell it the city and state information each time?
Is there somewhere to find out what the undocumented commands are?

What exactly was cut besides the ability to adjust the temperature and choose a preset. I would love the ability to at least choose preset. Would think the accuracy of preset 1-6 would not be hard to implement with no errors given u can choose phone book entry 1-6. Same thing with raising lowering temps for Hvac. That is all I really am asking for which seems like very little but makes the system so much moreeffective.

If you have any kind of pull.......
Old 12-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
07 functionality was taken out to improve accuracy. The 07-08+ nav has over 99.8% accuracy. How many of you have had the nav completely botch up what you told it unless you had multiple people talking and/or significant outside noise?

Hint: You can say "dial <voicetag>" or "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" at the main menu with alternate command mode on.
Did they really change the nav unit from early o8 to late o8 or did they just change the software. I have not heard of any visual differences.

One big issue I have right now, is that if i want to call someone using a phonebook entry with voice tag(even with alternate command mode on), i have to say phone book, then wait for nav to say "choose an entry number ....."then say it then she says say dial and i have to say dial. take like twenty seconds and 3 commands. Is there a faster way?
Is there a way to ask a local destination without having to tell it the city and state information each time?
Is there somewhere to find out what the undocumented commands are?

What exactly was cut besides the ability to adjust the temperature and choose a preset. I would love the ability to at least choose preset. Would think the accuracy of preset 1-6 would not be hard to implement with no errors given u can choose phone book entry 1-6. Same thing with raising lowering temps for Hvac. That is all I really am asking for which seems like very little but makes the system so much moreeffective.

If you have any kind of pull.......

Only the software is different.

Re: calling: Don't say phonebook. Just push the button and say "Dial <voicetag>" or "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" You can input ALL the numbers at once. If it reads 3 at a time, you're speaking too slow. Talk to the system the way you talk to a person. Don't change your voice, don't over enunciate, and don't yell at it. Talk naturally.

Changing presets is done quicker using the jog dial; temperature is easier to control using the ****. I can see why those were taken out.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
canadoc

No argument it is quick but fact is if u can say radio to switch to radio or radio fm to switch to fm you will still nee d to goto the ***** so why bother saying it?
Why have command for climate control on/off if you have to then goto the climate control and adjust with buttons?
As for the dial command, yes that works provided you say the number. Why for a person in your phone book must it be a 3 step process? It isn't for the non nav owners who just have bluetooth. they can say call then a voice tag from their phonebook according to the manual ( 1 less step).
Finally just spent last hour playing with voice control on the nav.It wont recognize any street in the city of Montreal yet gets every street right in the suburbs (for city name I say the suburb city and it gets it right but If I choose any name for any street in the city of Montreal not only does it not get it right it doesn't even give me any wrong choices it just sits there blank......then repeats city name and asks for a street name again.) If i go by text input those streets are clearly there!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
but it is IMHO because you cant completely command HVAC or audio requiring you to use the control buttons anyway thereby not savign anytime.
When you have to take 3 voice commands plus listen to her ask you a question before each before calling a number, it would be easier to just use the buttons to make a call
If you use voice tags like I do, you can make most calls with just one command. Having said that, there may be a few commands in the old software that would be faster to use than the buttons.

But I have an early G37 that still has the full command list. Frankly, I hardly use the dropped commands because pressing a button is often faster. For example, I ran a test today on changing the temperature. To change the temperature from, let’s say, 74 degrees to 72, it takes approximately 1 second via pressing the climate control button. To do it via a voice command, I had to press the steering wheel button, wait for the voice to request a command, then say “temperature 72, ” and then the temperature changed. The whole thing took around 5 seconds, which is five times slower than just hitting the button.

I’m sure the same is true for radio station changes. So don’t fret too much. The voice system is still there for you when it really counts.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM
canadoc

well I have voice tags but the workflow on the new navs is:
1) press button and say phonebook
2)wait for voice to say please enter phone book number or voice tag
3)enter voice tag
4)wait for her to say please say dial
5)say dial

Would be much better if i could just say call then the voice tag name but this doesn'texist in the new nav setup even with alternate commands active. Must I really say dial? There are no other options after i say the voice tag.......
Right now its much easier to just navigate to my phoenbook then scroll to ad press my desired contact.
Thevoice command on the new navs is worse than useless.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition help and questions