G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Possible future G37 owner: need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Possible future G37 owner: need advice...

Hello, my name is Kevin and I think a G37 is in my near future.

I am looking for opinions from current G37 owners on what they think of the car and I'm also checking out a couple G37 related forums. I'm going to start with a little about me and my situation in hopes someone is intrigued enough to offer some input.<O
<O
I have a live in girlfriend who thinks it's her turn to get a new car. She currently drives a 2000 Maxima and we would keep that as her primary winter vehicle. She was leaning towards a lot of different things, but slowly but surely I got her really hot for a new G37. Because she already has a winter vehicle, we are not interested in the awd version. Also, she has a four door already and there is no need for another one. It has to be an automatic because she's a girl.

I am really into cars and more importantly, modifying them. My goal is to get her a car she can be excited about (which means more modding for me).
<O</O
I would like to know what you would have done differently if you could start all the way back at the dealership. Any changes you wish you would have done?

<O</OHere is what I am looking at as of right now: <O</O
2008 or 2009 new or used (low low miles) G37
Vibrant Red w/ Graphite leather
Premium package
Sports package
Navigation package

I understand there is a transmission change in there, five speed auto for the 08’s and seven speed for the 09’s. Anyone have any pluses or minuses about those transmissions? How well does the 3.7L respond to mods and are there any tuning issues?

<O</OAny and all input is welcome. Thanks for your time.<O</O
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id go for the 7AT '09 model, seems like the better buy. If your looking into getting one in the near future, the deals on the 2009 models will be very good. Soon they are going to be offering great finance rates for the '09's.

your choice of car is spot on, maybe you can convince her that a 6MT is what you should really get, and thats what she should learn to drive on!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
wow... first off let me say you're totally whipped by your girl! screw that i would never get automatic just so my girlfriend could drive... maybe i would for my wife though... but never for g/f! you're catering too much to her needs!

i didn't really have much say in my car, i originally wanted a g35... and my parents did not want a used car, and my mom said the interior sucks on the g35... i'm a college student btw... so yeah during the summer they just picked up an 08 fully loaded 6mt bo for me... and called me and told me it's at home... boy was i excited...

ever since i got the car... i have not stopped modding it... it's just so addicting... and to answer your question it really depends what you're looking for...exterior mods? performance mods? i went straight to performance/sound mods and love them... after that i went to exterior and now my car never stops getting comments from people... i love it!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get which ever u can get a good deal on...

when u get it... post on here and we will direct you to all the mod advice u need... the 37 is responding well to alot of mods... there are people here that are pushing 330hp at the wheels already with just bolt ons....

u need to buy it soon tho... or it will just eat at ur insides till u have one.... D
Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Id go for the 7AT '09 model, seems like the better buy. If your looking into getting one in the near future, the deals on the 2009 models will be very good. Soon they are going to be offering great finance rates for the '09's.

your choice of car is spot on, maybe you can convince her that a 6MT is what you should really get, and thats what she should learn to drive on!
Good point about the financing. I'll have to look into that some more.

Originally Posted by aliiin
wow... first off let me say you're totally whipped by your girl! screw that i would never get automatic just so my girlfriend could drive... maybe i would for my wife though... but never for g/f! you're catering too much to her needs!

Ha ha ha. Let me start out by pointing out it is HER car and SHE will be making the payments. I give myself pretty good props in convincing her to buy the car I want. We have been living together for over five years now and since I've been able to avoid the whole marrage thing, I give myself even more props. Also, this is just a stepping stone for me to get a ZO6 which will be a manual. You're still in college so I don't expect you to understand. Oh yeah, and I have three other rides.

Do you have a list of mods or a link to some pictures of your car?

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
u need to buy it soon tho... or it will just eat at ur insides till u have one....
Tell me about it. I drove a G37 Friday and want it yesterday. She's been looking for three years now and I think we're on the same page now.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i will post them when i can, it's at the dealership getting warranty work done... afs light actuator broke... and transmission problem... yay for warranty! what are your other 3 rides? glad to hear she's making payments and doing it herself... i was about to say... hah

this is what i've done so far:
borla full catback
2 10'' ID10V.3 Subs powered by alpine-pdx 1.600
injen cai
20'' tsw thruxtons
4AWG black grounding kit
gtspec strut bar
top secret front lip
6000K hid's
6/10 full smoke tail light overlays
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 08 5At and crashed it and am getting an 09 7AT if getting an AT go with the 09 7AT. car has some good NA mods. Go HFC first as it is best bang for buck wth good gains. and when cobb gets the tuning AP out there it will rock to get INtakes headers and cat back and a tune that would be the best mods for NA. Then in a few years TT baby.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
shumby

oh forgot grounding kit get it from betty as he has a good product at a good price and you will notice a difference with the shifting.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by aliiin
what are your other 3 rides?
I'll include a link to my cardomain but I don't want to say too much with such a low post count. Some people are easily offended by non-specific discussion and my goal is to not offend anyone on my first day.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2299721
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

lol..... good goal to have^^^^^
Old 11-30-2008, 03:45 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i have 2 of them here i know vibrant red is hard to find

plenty of mods are slowly coming out. the 5-speed autos work fine and the 7at's in the '09 work better but the car itself is just a great drive w/ plenty of goodies in it especially when you get navigation
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by shumby
I had a 08 5At and crashed it and am getting an 09 7AT if getting an AT go with the 09 7AT. car has some good NA mods. Go HFC first as it is best bang for buck wth good gains. and when cobb gets the tuning AP out there it will rock to get INtakes headers and cat back and a tune that would be the best mods for NA. Then in a few years TT baby.
Originally Posted by shumby
oh forgot grounding kit get it from betty as he has a good product at a good price and you will notice a difference with the shifting.
Too many letters for my little brain. What does "HFC" stand for? And while surfing this site I came across a "grounding kit", but I hadn't figured out the issue or function yet...
Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I'll include a link to my cardomain but I don't want to say too much with such a low post count. Some people are easily offended by non-specific discussion and my goal is to not offend anyone on my first day.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2299721
I think you would benefit our forum... especially looking at your audio work on the dodge... Id love for you to work on the audio in the G37 and post DIYs...
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

HFC = High Flow Cats....

grouding kit is a kit of bigger wire to upgrade the stock ground wiring
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
shumby

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Too many letters for my little brain. What does "HFC" stand for? And while surfing this site I came across a "grounding kit", but I hadn't figured out the issue or function yet...
HFC High flow catilated converter, Gounding kit will improve shift time in the AT. Black Betty is the local member that sells them on this site Stillen also has them available. Check out the Modding 411 section.

Quick Reply: Possible future G37 owner: need advice...