Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dead pedal too far away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Snareman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead pedal too far away?

Anyone else think the dead pedal is too far away? It was that way on my G35 and people complained. I saw the light when I got my 335 where the pedal is the correct distance away and makes a great foot rest. I test drove a G37 and was sad to see that they hadn't changed its position. I'd seen where people had modified it themselves by removing it and putting some wood behind it to bring it out some.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Move your seat forward? Do you feel like all the other petals are too far away as well? If not, how can the dead petal be too deep?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Snareman

No, the other pedal is fine. Having the dead pedal a few inches closer just makes the position of your left leg more relaxed.

Ok, since I don't have a G37 yet, are the accel pedal and the dead pedal equidistant from the drivers seat or is one farther away?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Well naturally the dead pedal is slightly further. However, as previously mentioned, adjust your seat forward. If you are struggling to reach it then your seat is too far back. Always a good idea to sit in a car before you buy it.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Well naturally the dead pedal is slightly further. However, as previously mentioned, adjust your seat forward. If you are struggling to reach it then your seat is too far back. Always a good idea to sit in a car before you buy it.
Not to be argumentative, but what's the purpose in it being further away? You have your seat adjusted for your right leg to be in a comfortable driving position. Why would it make sense that your left leg have to reach farther away and still be comfortable? At that point, your left leg isn't in a comfortable resting position anymore. Move your seat up so your left leg is comfortable and then your right leg is "cramped." Cramped is a bit of a strong word for it, but that's the gist of it. Why not have them at least the same distance? It just seems intuitive to me.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM
ucla bruin

Maybe since the dead petal is for resting, your foot is more relaxed in a more extended position. Your right foot needs to press the petals, so it kinda makes sense to have those closer, easier to exert force.

My left leg sits pretty comfortably on the dead petal, when it's not on the clutch.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Scoobyj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cut a 2 by 4 about a foot long and place it over the dead pedal! That should bring it up to your height!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by Scoobyj
Cut a 2 by 4 about a foot long and place it over the dead pedal! That should bring it up to your height!
Yea it'd look sweet too.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Maybe since the dead petal is for resting, your foot is more relaxed in a more extended position. Your right foot needs to press the petals, so it kinda makes sense to have those closer, easier to exert force.

My left leg sits pretty comfortably on the dead petal, when it's not on the clutch.
Well, maybe this is just a personal preference. I was just out driving. On my 335 the dead pedal is same distance away as the accel. My heel rests an inch or so away from the pedal with my toe slightly bent foward. I tried it with my foot flat on the pedal and it just felt unnatural and not resting at all. Now if they pedal was several inches further away as in the G, it would just be that much worse.

Here are a few posts where people agree:

http://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/2...pedal-mod.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/interior...ead-pedal.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...rt-models.html
Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
You're not supposed to have your legs extended to full length when applying the gas/brake. The left leg, when resting, should be extended slightly further for comfort aforementioned. Perhaps it is a design flaw, perhaps there is reasoning behind its placement. It is what it is. Never heard anyone else complain on here in over a year.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
ucla bruin

Is that why I'm developing this limp in my left leg?

Jk, but yea full extension of legs = bad times in head on collisions.

You're right though, could be personal preference on comfort and positioning.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Never heard anyone else complain on here in over a year.

Hence I provided the above links. I assume the pedals are in essentially the same place on the G35/37

My right leg isn't fully extended either. Its slightly bent. Point being that when my right leg is slightly bent and comfortable, my left leg has to be fully straight to reach the dead pedal.

I did find this:
Stillen Dead Pedal

Last edited by Snareman; 11-24-2008 at 09:29 PM.