Sponsored By:

Is 4WAS worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
pssssh, i do that in my 97 Honda accord beater and it doesn't have 4WAS or any kind of stability control.
It could secretly be the "Sh" model.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
37drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"sh" model... haha

Last edited by 37drift; 11-13-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
37drift

I have it on mine. I didn't pay any extra for it, so I consider it a plus (until it breaks). I didn't think it would make much of a difference so I played around shortly after purchasing the car. Made some sharp lane changes and quick turns at increasingly faster speeds.

I come from an STi with Tein coilovers, sways, braced out to the max, yadda yadda and I freaking loved the way that car handled.

As an end result, I got arms full of goose bumps from how unreal the 4WAS feeling is. The only way I can describe it is the car has a mind of it's own, knowing EXACTLY what it has to do to maintain control and direction even though you're ripping the steering wheel in different directions. Given the option as a cost, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't purchase the car without it. For the minimal payment increase per month, the feature is more than worth it. It makes me sad when I hear people negatively blasting this option. Unfortunately during a test drive, you don't generally get yourself in a situation where you'd see the 4WAS as being very beneficial. So I'm sure it's easy to say "I couldn't tell the difference."

Put it this way... I let my brother-in-law drive the car. He has a Maxima with his suspension tuned to the max. Sadly, he beat the crap out of my car. Was absolutely shocked with the handling. Coming from a guy who just completed his 4th track performing setup with nearly 10k invested in top performing suspension parts, wheels, rubber, brakes, etc, his exact words were "Woah... Woah.... Dude, you're crazy if you touch a thing with this suspension." He said he's been tweaking for years with the best parts from every brand under the sun and would give anything to have a car so unbelievably responsive.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
krayzrac3r

Originally Posted by Callaway
pssssh, i do that in my 97 Honda accord beater and it doesn't have 4WAS or any kind of stability control.
werd! i do that in my 2007 accord and it works fine!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
andromeda

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GT35R
If your G37S has 4WAS thing. what ever it is called. I dont remember if it was included in my package config.

According to edmunds.com it's worthless.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
It could secretly be the "Sh" model.
All Hondas have the "SH" package, they also have the "IT" package to go with it
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ hehehehe you said $hit
Old 11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not gonna knock it because I haven't tried it, but I will say no to the weight and no to the added complexity. Its really just one more thing to break.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 37drift
I have it on mine. I didn't pay any extra for it, so I consider it a plus (until it breaks). I didn't think it would make much of a difference so I played around shortly after purchasing the car. Made some sharp lane changes and quick turns at increasingly faster speeds.

I come from an STi with Tein coilovers, sways, braced out to the max, yadda yadda and I freaking loved the way that car handled.

As an end result, I got arms full of goose bumps from how unreal the 4WAS feeling is. The only way I can describe it is the car has a mind of it's own, knowing EXACTLY what it has to do to maintain control and direction even though you're ripping the steering wheel in different directions. Given the option as a cost, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't purchase the car without it. For the minimal payment increase per month, the feature is more than worth it. It makes me sad when I hear people negatively blasting this option. Unfortunately during a test drive, you don't generally get yourself in a situation where you'd see the 4WAS as being very beneficial. So I'm sure it's easy to say "I couldn't tell the difference."

Put it this way... I let my brother-in-law drive the car. He has a Maxima with his suspension tuned to the max. Sadly, he beat the crap out of my car. Was absolutely shocked with the handling. Coming from a guy who just completed his 4th track performing setup with nearly 10k invested in top performing suspension parts, wheels, rubber, brakes, etc, his exact words were "Woah... Woah.... Dude, you're crazy if you touch a thing with this suspension." He said he's been tweaking for years with the best parts from every brand under the sun and would give anything to have a car so unbelievably responsive.
I'll take this seriously after you do a blind study of 4WAS vs no 4WAS. This is the first time I have ever heard anything but criticism about 4WAS
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soldier9599
I'll take this seriously after you do a blind study of 4WAS vs no 4WAS. This is the first time I have ever heard anything but criticism about 4WAS
I drove a 335i with All-wheel steering (Same shit) and I bought the 335i WITHOUT the all-wheel steering. Was VERY VERY disappointed. When it came turn for the G37, I didn't care too much for it, but it came in the car I wanted. VERY glad, wouldn't go back to driving one without it.

... I feel like I'm repeating myself, isn't there like 8 of these threads?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 PM
37drift

Originally Posted by soldier9599
I hear what you're saying. I don't really know what a 37 without 4WAS handles like in high speed situations, but there's too much of an unnatural feel with it for me to say i wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I remember when I first got my STi sideways around a corner on tarmac set at 50/50 (Front/Rear), I lost control because I tried to overcorrect too much. It bugged me because instinct tells you to overcorrect (ALOT) at high speeds. I eventually learned that in an all wheel drive car, you just keep the steering wheel pointed in the direction you want to end up travelling in and tap the throttle if need be.

...This is pretty much how the 4WAS acts. You almost have to relearn the way the car is going to react to a sharp jolt at the wheel. Much like AWD, the *** end seems to immediately swoop it's way under you to a certain extent.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
DetroitG37Joe

To the OP who wants to tell if he has 4WAS. I Have 4WAS and when I turn my car on, the 4WAS light on the dash flashes briefly - it could be a diagnostic check to make sure it's on and good to go on each startup. I would imagine that non 4WAS cars don't do that, but I could be wrong. So to the OP, see if your 4WAS light (which could be "RWAS) comes on when you start up. To the rest of you without 4WAS, can you confirm whether the light flashes momentarily on startup?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Theoretically, 4WAS should hurt on a track, but help on the highway. The highway is the only place that I feel like handling really doesn't need improvement.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
w0ady

^yup thats what all the reviews say. for autobahn driving its great, for the track not so much.