Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of the G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
speedphreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of the G37

Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

I currently drive a fully bolted and fully built 2007 Mazdaspeed3. Its got 400+whp and 397wtq.... But it is giving me SO many problems. For the past 9 months its been an uphill battle to even get the car to be right. It has finally frusterated me so much to the point where I have offered my shop owner first dibs as he has toyed with the idea of wanting it anyways..lol.

So, obviously the G37 brought me to this site to get a little more information on this potent little vehicle. A little while ago, before I bought the Speed3 I test drove both the Lexus IS350 and the Infinity G35. This was before the 37 came out....maybe a year before.

To be completely honest I was not to fond of the g35. To me it felt disconnected to the road, the tranny felt sloppy but there was a little power there. I don't know something felt off to me though.

I am sure the G37 is a different car though. How have the experiences been with the new G37's? I love the exterior (not crazy about color options), the interior looks very very nice and it seems to have a nice suspension. What are the most common problems with the car? And what are people usually paying at the dealer?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM
AndrewDDS

I bought a used '08 G37S with a shade over 2K miles on it for $35K. After about 6 months I can state that I have not had one single problem with it. Not even the tiniest rattle; literally drove it off the lot and haven't taken it back to the dealership for anything other than regular maintenance.

I drove the 335i, IS350, and A5 before I bought this car. While the A5 was more attractive cosmetically, I didn't feel it was significantly better than the G37 to warrant the $15K price difference. Ditto on the 335i; great car with amazing acceleration, but putting your head into the headrest slightly harder isn't worth $15K to me. As for the IS350, I really didn't like anything about it. I don't like the exterior proportions, but the interior was very well appointed. The performance made me feel like I was driving any ordinary mid-range sedan, however.

The G37 took the good attributes of all the above cars, while getting rid of a lot of my complaints about the above cars. For me, it was the perfect fit. Reliability is unrivaled, re-sale value is highest in the class, they rarely ever have electronic issues (BMW and Audi owners will cringe when you tell them that), and the performance is exactly what you would want/expect from a $45K luxury sport coupe.

However, if you're comparing the G37 to cars like the Mazdaspeed3, Mitsubishi EVO, Subaru WRX-Sti, etc, you'll probably be disappointed. Those cars aren't really in the same class. Those are rally-bred sports cars; they're lighter, more nimble, sport tuned, and really meant for the track. In most cases, they will probably outperform a stock G37 at the track. The G37 is more a grand tourer; a comfortable daily driver that is very capable on the track, but not designed for it.

I guess you have to ask yourself what you're really looking for... Do you want a luxury sport coupe that looks just as good parked at the Country Club as it does blasting off at a red light? Or you do want a sport-tuned pocket-rocket that most people won't even notice if you're not at a track? That's just my 2 cents!!! (Can you tell work is slow today?)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^LOL i can tell...Long post but well written
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM
speedphreak

How satisfied are people with the suspension on the g37...how does it compare to the Lexus is350? How is the power?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedphreak
Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

I currently drive a fully bolted and fully built 2007 Mazdaspeed3. Its got 400+whp and 397wtq.... But it is giving me SO many problems. For the past 9 months its been an uphill battle to even get the car to be right. It has finally frusterated me so much to the point where I have offered my shop owner first dibs as he has toyed with the idea of wanting it anyways..lol.

So, obviously the G37 brought me to this site to get a little more information on this potent little vehicle. A little while ago, before I bought the Speed3 I test drove both the Lexus IS350 and the Infinity G35. This was before the 37 came out....maybe a year before.

To be completely honest I was not to fond of the g35. To me it felt disconnected to the road, the tranny felt sloppy but there was a little power there. I don't know something felt off to me though.

I am sure the G37 is a different car though. How have the experiences been with the new G37's? I love the exterior (not crazy about color options), the interior looks very very nice and it seems to have a nice suspension. What are the most common problems with the car? And what are people usually paying at the dealer?
you just need to drive it before you do or ask anything else... then ask your questions after your Test drive...
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you truly are a speed freak, the G37 will not work for you. Maybe you should wait for a 370Z?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM
teedough

Very well written and speedphreak... this is not a little vehicle lol
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
speedphreak

I'm not looking for a tire shredding beast or anything. Just a nice reliable car I can have a little fun in once in a while.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
AndrewDDS

The Lexus has a smoother ride but more body roll. The G has more power in every range, but still has a damn smooth ride.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
AndrewDDS

Remember, the pocket-rockets are really just factory tuned versions of other cars. Whenever you start doing a lot of tuning, whether its you doing it or a factory doing it, the reliability is going to get worse.

I can confidently state that any base version of a car will be more reliable than any tuned version of the same car. Whenever things start getting bolted on, you're adding more things to go wrong. An STI is a complex Impreza, an EVO is just a Lancer with more breakable things on it. A G37 is a G37, plain and simple.

So when you look at the reliability rating of the G37, it's higher than the base models of the Impreza, Lancer, and Mazda3. It's actually higher than 90% of the cars made today. So pretty much, any little pocket-rocket you buy is going to have more problems than a G37. And if you want to go German, just expect to have at least 5-6 trips to the dealership to fix electronic problems in the first year.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 AM
speedphreak

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Remember, the pocket-rockets are really just factory tuned versions of other cars. Whenever you start doing a lot of tuning, whether its you doing it or a factory doing it, the reliability is going to get worse.

I can confidently state that any base version of a car will be more reliable than any tuned version of the same car. Whenever things start getting bolted on, you're adding more things to go wrong. An STI is a complex Impreza, an EVO is just a Lancer with more breakable things on it. A G37 is a G37, plain and simple.

So when you look at the reliability rating of the G37, it's higher than the base models of the Impreza, Lancer, and Mazda3. It's actually higher than 90% of the cars made today. So pretty much, any little pocket-rocket you buy is going to have more problems than a G37. And if you want to go German, just expect to have at least 5-6 trips to the dealership to fix electronic problems in the first year.
I completely agree with you! In my case the MZR DISI engine is a problem waiting to happen...then you tune it and poof..you are in my position!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by speedphreak
I completely agree with you! In my case the MZR DISI engine is a problem waiting to happen...then you tune it and poof..you are in my position!
Yea, it happens. Even the luxury manufacturers do it! AMG's are horribly unreliable, M's are always less reliable than regular BMWs, the S5 is getting terrible feedback on reliability, and Lexus (the most reliable of all the brands) didn't make tuned versions of their cars until this year because they couldn't make them reliable!

In my opinion, I would never buy the most expensive version of a cheaper car. If I want a $40K car, I'm gonna buy a $40K car, not a $40K version of a $20K car. But again, that's just my opinion...
Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
teedough

Originally Posted by andrewdds
yea, it happens. Even the luxury manufacturers do it! Amg's are horribly unreliable, m's are always less reliable than regular bmws, the s5 is getting terrible feedback on reliability, and lexus (the most reliable of all the brands) didn't make tuned versions of their cars until this year because they couldn't make them reliable!

In my opinion, i would never buy the most expensive version of a cheaper car. If i want a $40k car, i'm gonna buy a $40k car, not a $40k version of a $20k car. But again, that's just my opinion...
+1 :jamin:
Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never had any issues with my SVT Cobra Mustangs
Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
hoopster240

Originally Posted by Seer
never had any issues with my SVT Cobra Mustangs
Tru my friend had one with chip, pulley, exhaust, and intake and it was just as reliable as it was the day it left the dealer.

Quick Reply: Thinking of the G37