Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of the G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
bunluvsvw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedphreak
I'm not looking for a tire shredding beast or anything. Just a nice reliable car I can have a little fun in once in a while.
If you ask me, Your not going to like the G37 especially if you are coming from a 400hp mazda3speed. Everyone says they dont need a superfast car, but you know what? Bull****, who are we lying to? The Is350 is fast, bonestock, it does consistent mid 13s Its reliable too. The bmw 335i is very fast too, especially with a juicebox. the G37 is a heavy car, handling is not the best, but with a set of eibachs and stillen swaybars,wonders can happen.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I'm not looking for a tire shredding beast or anything. Just a nice reliable car I can have a little fun in once in a while.
Then the G will fit your needs just fine. And if that's all you're asking it ill exceed your expectations.

Regarding the steering feel however, at the upper limits, the G doesn't' give you as much feedback as the Mazda nor will the steering feel quite as quick. You wll feel the extra weight but the G performs much better than it feels. Just when you think you've taken it to its limits it surprises you with its ability to hold the road. You will have the improved feel of RWD and thus the ability to throttle steer to counter the heavier feel in the steering. A quick blip of the throttle and it turns understeer into corrective action or perhaps oversteer as needed.

There is a different type of driving technique needed to drive the G near as aggresively as perhaps you would one of the lighter rally type cars.

Here is a good video of how the G37 can be driven hard and tossed around a bit.
Note the throttle steering diriving technique :
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B0B50ULfBYM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B0B50ULfBYM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 11-11-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
speedphreak

Yeah, one factor I love about the G is that it has RWD. I owned a 2006 Mazda MX-5 for a bit and I miss the rwd terribly. I understand it is a heavier car, but I doubt its a slug. I like the fact that it has the ability to run a low 13 i the quarter and it seems to be quite capable on a road course.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
jeffyb

Yeah, one factor I love about the G is that it has RWD. I owned a 2006 Mazda MX-5 for a bit and I miss the rwd terribly. I understand it is a heavier car, but I doubt its a slug. I like the fact that it has the ability to run a low 13 i the quarter and it seems to be quite capable on a road course.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!
It's not a slug, but like many cars with a smooth, even torque curve the car is faster then it feels. I had the same issue with my 03 cobra, it had a very flat torque curve so it felt way slower then it actually was.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by jeffyb
It's not a slug, but like many cars with a smooth, even torque curve the car is faster then it feels. I had the same issue with my 03 cobra, it had a very flat torque curve so it felt way slower then it actually was.
Yeah by no means am i saying that it's a slug. It's just not fast off the line. It's a higher rev performance car. On the higher end, you feel the performance and response. Off the line, not so much.... You still can't beat the G for the bang-4ur-buck.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
speedphreak

Originally Posted by Achilles
Yeah by no means am i saying that it's a slug. It's just not fast off the line. It's a higher rev performance car. On the higher end, you feel the performance and response. Off the line, not so much.... You still can't beat the G for the bang-4ur-buck.
Ide rather have top end than bottom end!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though the G37 is a solid improvement to the G35 coupe - if you strongly disliked the G35 coupe - I would be cautious with the G37 coupe as the family resemblance, though evolved, is still VERY apparent.