Auto Climate Control behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
DingoNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Climate Control behavior

Hey everyone.

I've had my 09 G37x for exactly a week.

I have NAV so I have voice commands... And I'm perplexed.

Turning on climate control, by default has me in auto mode. Great. Just one problem, it's in the 40's here right now, and the A/C light is lit... Making me think the the A/C compressor is going to be engaged.

What is going on here?

I understand when defrosting, the A/C is quite helpful. But in normal heating mode, is my car really engaging the A/c to de-humidify or anything? (Because that would annoy the heck out of me)

Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think A/C mode is the default for the system. Press the A/C button and it will go to regular vent mode and turn off the A/C compressor.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM
DingoNY

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I think A/C mode is the default for the system. Press the A/C button and it will go to regular vent mode and turn off the A/C compressor.
I understand the A/C button can disable the compressor.

But if it really is engaging the compressor when I want HEAT on a cold day, I will be extremely annoyed. I don't want the damn compressor sucking my gas and power because Japanese engineers feel we should dehumidify the cabin.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DingoNY
I understand the A/C button can disable the compressor.

But if it really is engaging the compressor when I want HEAT on a cold day, I will be extremely annoyed. I don't want the damn compressor sucking my gas and power because Japanese engineers feel we should dehumidify the cabin.

They are all like that. My 2004 Solara did the same exact thing, and my mom's Acura does the same thing also. Just have to reach over and hit the A/C button to turn it off.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
batmobile

I think the a/c is always on cause our cabins are so small that you get condensation build up when you dont have it on even in cold weather. I drove mine home last weekend around 3 in the morning and had the auto set at 90 and I manually turned the a/c off and not 20mins later I had fog on my windows. I pushed the button to make it go back into full auto and it cleared right up. Its a pain in the a** to have to toggle back and forth but who cares the car is great.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 PM
DingoNY

Originally Posted by batmobile
I think the a/c is always on cause our cabins are so small that you get condensation build up when you dont have it on even in cold weather. I drove mine home last weekend around 3 in the morning and had the auto set at 90 and I manually turned the a/c off and not 20mins later I had fog on my windows. I pushed the button to make it go back into full auto and it cleared right up. Its a pain in the a** to have to toggle back and forth but who cares the car is great.
Ok thanks...

I just hate the thought of that compressor wasting power / gas needlessly.

I guess I'll ignore it
Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Ok thanks...

I just hate the thought of that compressor wasting power / gas needlessly.

I guess I'll ignore it
On modern cars the A/C compressor isn't a big drain on your fuel efficiency or power. If you're racing I'd turn it off, but I don't personally thing it' makes a significant difference for normal driving that you'd notice.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 AM
bunluvsvw

The Ac is on to suck out the humidity in your car, Or in simpler terms, de fogs the windows. Notice that most cars turns on the ac automatically nowadays when you set it to the windshield? I know Hondas and Toyotas do that for sure.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:22 AM
CoCo86

i could be wrong but is the question basically how to turn the heat on? i got my car friday and didnt no how to turn the heat on til yesterday since theres no actual heat button .. sorry if im way off with the question guys
Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by CoCo86
i could be wrong but is the question basically how to turn the heat on? i got my car friday and didnt no how to turn the heat on til yesterday since theres no actual heat button .. sorry if im way off with the question guys
Press the **** on the left of the climate control to turn on/off the system. Turn the left **** to adjust it warmer or colder - if you adjust it all the way to 90 degrees you have heat. The right **** adjusts the passenger's temperature. The mode button selects which fan mode you want. The "+" or "-" buttons turn the fan speed up or down. The "A/C" button engages or disengages the comperessor do dehumidify the air, it has nothing do do with the temperature actually.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
CoCo86

oh the way i was gettin heat is by holding down the AC button til the light goes off which is what the manual said to do and then adjusting the temp .. but idk if that has anything to do with humidity or not
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
DingoNY

Originally Posted by CoCo86
Press the fan up button.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 AM
DingoNY

Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
The Ac is on to suck out the humidity in your car, Or in simpler terms, de fogs the windows. Notice that most cars turns on the ac automatically nowadays when you set it to the windshield? I know Hondas and Toyotas do that for sure.
Yes and my 2005 G35x did a great job of defogging the windows.

But that does not mean I want it to default to engaging the AC EVERY TIME I turn on the heat. I mean to me it's crazy it doesn't allow you to disable that. (Have it remember your last setting)
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
batmobile

I did a little test last night to see if there really was an impact on power with the a/c on or off. There was absolutely no difference, unless you needed it cold and had the temp turned all the way down. I found that with the auto set at 80 blowing out hot air and the a/c on to keep the windows from fogging, we timed my 0-60 at 5.1sec. I then had the auto on at 80 and I manually turnded the a/c off and we timed my 0-60 at 5sec. At this point I think it is just a matter of opinion if you want the a/c on or off during the cold season, I personally have it off cause it makes me feel better...lol
Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
batmobile

Yes and my 2005 G35x did a great job of defogging the windows.

But that does not mean I want it to default to engaging the AC EVERY TIME I turn on the heat. I mean to me it's crazy it doesn't allow you to disable that. (Have it remember your last setting)

I do not know about the 09 but my 08 when I turn it on for the first time and set the auto mode I manually turn off the a/c. When I turn off the car and come back later as long as I do not turn the climate control off before I leave the car it does remember my setting with the a/c off and I can adjust the temp without it coming back on.

Quick Reply: Auto Climate Control behavior