Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Telescoping steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Im2bz2p345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Telescoping steering wheel question

Okay, so I am a big fan of the Infiniti G37S Coupe and I have been reading a lot about this car (still saving up to buy one). One thing that I read in a thread that compared the A5, G37, and 335i (https://www.myg37.com/forums/other-cars/186009-drove-an-a5-and-g37-yesterday.html), was regarding the driver's seat and steering wheel moving out of the way when you exit the car and then moving back into place when you re-enter the car.

My friend has a 37S sedan and I saw him do this exactly. The entire steering column moved up and the driver's seat moved back as he left the car. When we returned and put the key in the ignition (he might have done something else as well), the steering column and driver's seat came back into place in as he had it before, aka driving position.

A lot people commented on this from that thread, here are they are:

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
You said the Infiniti seat moves back and steering moves away before you get out and then comes back to position when you approach the car later. I dont think that's true. The seats & steering cluster do absolutely nothing upon turning the car off or when returning with the key fob. I know Lexus with power telescoping steering wheel does have the steering that moves away from u when u turn the car off, even our 2000 Lexus GS400 does that.

Just thought Id clear that up....
Originally Posted by OMG37
Well this isn't entirely true. I have my 2 settings set up so that one is for driving and one is for ingress/egress. I have the FOB programmed so that when i unlock the car with the FOB it sets all my settings in an ingress/egress mode...then when i get in...i hit the 2nd setting button and that moves everything into driving settings.

I know it's not exactly the same thing but it gets the job done.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As far as my thoughts on your choice...get the G. There's no way you can get a fully loaded 335i for the same price you can get a fully loaded G and with the extra money you save...put the mods you need to get the torque you may miss from not owning a 335i.
Originally Posted by PhilH930
I think this needs a little clearing up:

When the seat has been moved, the normal method to reposition would be to select memory 1 or 2 in the car. However, you can program the key fob to associate with one of the memory positions. For example, my wife's key moves the setup to position 2, moving the seat, steering wheel and mirrors. Alternatively, when I get to the car with my key, it returns all settings to position 1.

The second area is regarding the steering column and seat moving back for entry/exit of the vehicle. This does not happen in my 6MT G37, probably due to the clutch. However, a friend who has the 2008 G35 sedan has this feature with the automatic. Everytime he shuts the car off, they move to make for an easier entry/exit. I believe this feature is also present on the G37 auto, and can be accessed under the comfort and convenience menu on the display.
Originally Posted by gthal
I have an auto and this feature is not available... only on the sedan I believe. If I'm wrong, I would love to know how to set it up but I think I'm right on this...
Originally Posted by Keng
Only on the Sedan, they don't do it on the Coupe because it might crashes someone's leg.

Could someone who has a G37S Coupe Auto (or Manual.. not sure if it matters) please confirm if this "feature" is available? I am really confused as to why Infiniti would include this in the sedan and not the coupe. Thank you all for your help!!

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-20-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
it is not a feature on the Coupe.

my feeling is that they were affraid that someone would lose their feet if the seat went back fully.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 AM
prutkows

it might be available on the '09 coupe? i know its not a feature for the '08 though unfortunately.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Im2bz2p345

Thanks for the quick responses fellas. So it's not even possible to do what OMG37 said in his statement to simulate this feature on the G37S Coupe Auto? This is so sad!

Oh, by the way, here is a video off what I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e38jYiu0nfE

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-20-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 AM
cskubis

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Im2bz2p345;2440125]Thanks for the quick responses fellas. So it's not even possible to do what OMG37 said in his statement to simulate this feature on the G37S Coupe Auto? This is so sad!

This is doable with the 2 settings.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Welcome to the boards!

I personally had my car memory seating number "1" as my driving position, and memory seating number "2" as the steering wheel fully up, seat all the way back, and it worked alright for me.

It's definitely not the deal breaker between getting the car or not though, goodluck on your decision!!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^ what he said.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

You would need to be dialing 911 to extract the small adult in the back seat after the "autocrush" as has been said. It's a liability deal. I have had that feature on 3 different Acuras and a MB and to tell you the truth I usually am in reverse trying to back out while the seat and wheel are still moving!

I'm just too impatient.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
You would need to be dialing 911 to extract the small adult in the back seat after the "autocrush" as has been said. It's a liability deal. I have had that feature on 3 different Acuras and a MB and to tell you the truth I usually am in reverse trying to back out while the seat and wheel are still moving!

I'm just too impatient.
1. I agree about the seat crushing to an extent. Like the pinch protection on windows and moonroof, however, it could be designed to go back forward if an obstruction causes it to stop pushing up to a certain ft/lbs of torque, same technology as in the pinch protection windows.

2. Even if the seat didnt do anything - I wish the telescopin wheel would move up and back when turning the car off - and move back to previous position next time you turn it on. That's what all Lexuses with power steering adjustment do!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
SL1CKZ

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Welcome to the boards!

I personally had my car memory seating number "1" as my driving position, and memory seating number "2" as the steering wheel fully up, seat all the way back, and it worked alright for me.

It's definitely not the deal breaker between getting the car or not though, goodluck on your decision!!
Just wanted to know, whats the point of having those memory settings? If they don't move back when you get out O_o. Unless you have to worry about not having those settings if you let someone else take out your car.

Honestly I could care less about the steering wheel and seat moving out for me to exit the vehicle. I'm sure if you really wanted it, you can find aftermarket supplier for these things..
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Im2bz2p345

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the responses!

This "feature" is definitely not a deal breaker for me. I still love the G37S regardless. I just thought it looked amazing sitting from the passenger seat for the entire steering column & seat to adjust to the driver as he sat it. I had never seen this "feature" automatically happen in any other vehicle. Most cars just have the seat position memory buttons, but nothing happens automatically when entering or exiting the vehicle.

I can understand the liability factor for having this "feature" in the Coupe. I guess if I wanted it, I could just do what OMG37 suggested & cskubis confirmed. That is: Program the FOB to the 1st memory position so that when I unlock the car with the FOB it sets all my steering column & driver's steat to "car exit" positions (everything would move out the way)...then when I get in and hit the 2nd memory setting button, it would move the steering column & driver's seat into my normal driving positions.

That would work out for me as well! Does anyone know approximately how long it would take for everything to get repositioned into the normal driving position (if the steering column has been moved out of the way & the driver's seat moved all the way back)? I'm an average 5'8 guy incase that helps with calculating the time.

Thank you once again for all the help.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-20-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
probably ~ 1 to 1.5 seconds.

i tried this method for a while, but i find it rather useless for me. i already sit with the seat all the way back. i'm 6'2" though.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^I'm thinking that it would take 5-7 seconds for the Steering wheel to drop and the seat to move into postion for you. I actually have my number two seat position set to do this, but don't use it any more(too lazy )

Plus I'm 6'-3" and my seat is as far back as it goes.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
infinitig40

couldn't you just set your normal seating position to the 1 preset and a "getting out" position to the 2nd preset if you really wanted this. i know it's not as convenient but yea lol =)
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
cskubis

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
FWIW ... I thought the feature would be cool and was kind of upset that the G37C did not have it, however when I had an M35 loaner car (which has the ingress/egress feature) for a week I discovered that I did not like it anyway.

Quick Reply: Telescoping steering wheel question