Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2009 G37x (AWD) observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
cpaul_phl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 G37x (AWD) observations

Well, I picked up my 2009 G37x AWD coupe on Friday, and put over 370 miles on it this weekend driving to the DE and NJ beaches. I traded in my '03 G35 coupe for the '09 since we really need the AWD here in the East.

A few notes on the G37x coupe:
- between the heated seat controls is a rocker switch labeled "SNOW" that forces AWD mode
- new for '09: the heated seat controls are variable-position ***** (I've attached a picture)
- heated seats are standard equipment with the G37x AWD and don't require the Premium Package
- you cannot order the Sport package with the G37x, nor can you order the MT; a 7-speed automatic (new for '09) is included

Overall, I'm quite pleased, although as a gadget-geek I have a few big beefs with the Bluetooth Phone and iPod integration.
My G37x has the Premium Package, but NOT Navigation. I liked what the Technology Package offered, but it requires Navigation, and I can't justify $2500 when my Garmin works great and comes with me when I travel for work. Unless Infiniti is doing this on purpose to force Navigation, they should reconsider the technology packages.

A few notes after my first weekend with the 2009 G37x:
- performance is outstanding, altho I didn't want to push it too hard during the breakin period

- the exhaust note is particularly disappointing compared to my stock '03 G35 coupe; it appears that Infiniti seriously scaled back the volume, probably based on complaints from some non-car-nuts (I know the neighbors could hear me coming down the road)

- when accelerating, i've noticed what appears to be some feedback, almost as if the brake is on slightly, even though it is completely disengaged. I'm new to AWD vehicles, so I'm wondering if this is normal?

- the transmission on at least 2 separate occasions seemed to "search for a gear". I thought that I'd accidentally disengaged to manual shift mode, but had not. I'm hoping these were isolated incidents based on speed/throttle/RPM, but I'm guessing there will be a firmware update for this new 7-speed auto in my future.

- without Navigation, you CANNOT transfer your mobile phonebook! (This is clearly documented in the owners' manual). What numb-nuts thought this was a good idea???
> You must enter one phone number at a time, by voice, in a very very painful process: enter phone mode, say "PHONEBOOK NEW ENTRY" (you at least can halt the voice prompts). Speak the name of your phone entry, confirm YES, speak the number, confirm YES, then STORE, then confirm again (!) YES. The phone then EXITS completely - you have no option to go back and enter another number. You must re-enter phone mode and start again.
> When entering the actual phone number, you have the option to transfer the number only (not the name) from your phone but that takes longer than simply speaking the number. To transfer a single number by BT, it disconnects the Bluetooth headset, reconnects to transfer the number, then disconnects and reconnects the Bluetooth headset.
> Since each paired phone has its own (non-shared) phone book, it's even worse. I setup a very limited number of entries, and have decided to use my phone to dial from its phonebook. Infiniti really needs to look at BMW for an example of a great phone integration that reads the Phonebook automatically. This is absolutely embarrassing.

- on the iPod front, things are generally good with a couple exceptions:
> when you place or receive a call, the iPod is NOT put into pause! And, since the incoming phone is displayed on the screen, you don't have an opportunity to put it on Pause. You must accept the call, then exit the screen back to DISC to pause your iPod. Ridiculous overthought!
> there is no "acceleration" through long lists (eg. by Artist), although in fairness I have yet to see a car iPod interface that properly handles this. The only (slightly) saving grace is that at least with the Infiniti, you can patiently hold the down arrow, and wait while it scrolls through your list of hundreds (or thousands) of Artists, for example.
> the AUX input can take video in addition to audio, as long as you are in Park, and the emergency brake is engaged. Once you release the brake, even if you are in Park, the AUX video stops (but the audio continues). Given the limitations on the iPod interface scrolling, not to mention easily pausing when a call comes in, I may consider using the AUX input for my iPod, or get used to using Playlists only. UGH.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 G37x (AWD) observations-img_7650a.jpg  

Last edited by cpaul_phl; 10-19-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the purchase and thanks for the nice write-up!

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a G37x coupe also (currently an 07 G35 owner). Either that or an M35x or FX35. I'm really curious how this thing will handle the slush and snow we have around here. I did OK last winter with my snow tire setup (Blizzaks, 17" rims), but I wonder how fun an AWD G will be. Hopefully you'll have some more experiences to post and others will follow in the coming months.

Despite the few issues you've had so far, hope you enjoy your G!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
kevman

Does the x coupe have Paddle shifters ?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
cpaul_phl

no paddle shifters on G37x

Paddle shifters are only available in the Sport Package, which is not available on the G37x

Originally Posted by kevman
Does the x coupe have Paddle shifters ?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:03 AM
neoWhite

I wanted the X, but considering a 200 lbs increase in weight and no Sports Package -- I'll stick w/ RWD.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 AM
ChOy BoY

my next mod is hopefully getting those heated seat buttons into mine =0
Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Triple_X

not trying to hijack but don't want to make a new thread for one question.

I know it's not a big deal but it drives me crazy with newer cars.

Does the car beep if people don't wear seatbelts?!? If so, is there a way to get rid of it?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
this post sucks

edit: a retarded tree monkey apparently posted while i was away, sorry for the stupid post

Last edited by aliiin; 10-20-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
DoctorTuna

Hey, congratulations on the new car!! And thanks for the thorough write-up. I have an 08 5AT and was a bit disheartened to find out that such a significant upgrade came with the 09! Obviously, I would be interested to know what performance improvements come with the 2 additional gear ratios. The gear searching is definitely a negative, what about fuel economy, did the EPA estimates improve with the 7AT??

I'm not as dissapointed with the introduction of the AWD though, I just came from an AWD and was very happy to go RWD. You'll have to re-post once you hit the 1000 mile mark with performance impressions, I'm sure everybody wants to know!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
SL1CKZ

Originally Posted by Likes_it_low
not trying to hijack but don't want to make a new thread for one question.

I know it's not a big deal but it drives me crazy with newer cars.

Does the car beep if people don't wear seatbelts?!? If so, is there a way to get rid of it?
Buckle up, It's the LAW!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by SL1CKZ
Buckle up, It's the LAW!

yes but I can't make every passenger do the same. I'm not going to yell at them.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes but I can't make every passenger do the same. I'm not going to yell at them.
I just tell my passengers that if they don't buckle up they don't get a drive. Simple.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
aam6906

You Got The White G37x didnt you??? i work at infiniti of west chester
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
DingoNY

yes but I can't make every passenger do the same.
You certainly can

I mean how many of us have been in major accidents?

I was in an accident where I would have seriously got thrown around the car with major injuries if not for the seatbelt.

No disrespect intended, but you'd have to be stupid to not buckle up - and similarly to not enforce the law in your car.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
lilo

I believe this is the first post from G37/2009 owner. Have 2009 model cars finally arrived?

Quick Reply: 2009 G37x (AWD) observations