Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking the unthinkable

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM
johnnyg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking the unthinkable

Well folks, since acquiring my G back in Feb of 2008 I really have not driven it that much. Only 7600 on the odo year to date and I am having second thoughts about the car. It's got great power, luxury,style and looks but after spending about 3+ hours in it today, it is not a comfortable ride!
Let me paint a picture regarding the time spent in the car today.

I live in Northern VA and I had two interviews for management positions, one in Arlington and another in Oxon Hill MD. I know, I know....the commute but I don't mind driving and in years past I was a state rep for a leading dental company and put a ton of miles on a car. Anyway, from my house it is about 18 miles one way to the first and 28 miles to the second, all together about a tad under 100 miles today. I was kinda looking forward to the time spent in the G today. The appointment times were around peak traffic so I thought things were good.
After spending all day in the car and on the way home on GW parkway, with a new Cayman playing tag with me it dawned on me that I cant seem to get comfortable in the seats and the 19"s are trying to shake a kidney loose and I have to be hyper vigilant because of the 19's too so as not to end up at infiniti to buy a rim and tire. Also, an indicator went off for tire maintenance?!
What the hell is tire maintenance? I just cleared it assuming it must mean tire rotation for the non sport package. Anyway, I just don't think the car , for me is right for what i will assume is a longer commute in the DC area when the management position comes through. Better pay, development and environment so I will definitely take one of the two offered but the commute is going to kill me. Disappointing too since I never had these issues with my BMW. Perhaps I need to drive it more to get used to it but I dread making this upcoming commute for one of these jobs. Sorry to rant but needed to get that out. I am thinking a hot hatch like a GTI. Chip that thing and it's a beast and comfortable on long trips. Oh well, we shalll see.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Goldiedenver

Wink Swap Out Your Wheels!

19' wheels are sexy, but they don't do much for the ride. If you really want a better feel go with this...

18' wheels 18x8.5/9.5 in front and 18x9.5/10 in the rear. Wrap them with the Goodyear F1 GS D3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=22

I have this set up on my 2007 G35Coupe and it has made all the difference...

If you really want to go nuts change your springs out and change the wheels...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
BroDaJin

hahaha I feel your pain.... I go through those traffic alot and i drive a manual. Just keep the car and get a Civic or something.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I see exactly where your coming from! I just wasn't satisfied with my g either for a while, and i sat down and thought about just taking the hit and going for a M3. They are offering 0.9% with close to invoice prices on the 2008 models right now... -drool-

But given the state of the economy and how we are right in the middle of an election, i say its best to hold onto your money and wait this one out a bit. The economy is just in the gutters right now and you never know whats going to happen in the not-so-distant future. Maybe for now you can switch up to some more comfortable tires, or perhaps stick a little cushion behind your back when you take the G out!

best of luck, if you do decide to change please let us know, id love to hear about a GTI.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congradulations.. you just got old... First phase for me was going from a Vette to the G... next I'll be looking at a M I'm sure and then a town car..and then finally a coffin. It happens eventually to us all.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Congradulations.. you just got old... First phase for me was going from a Vette to the G... next I'll be looking at a M I'm sure and then a town car..and then finally a coffin. It happens eventually to us all.
heh. heh !

. take his wise words and keep driving your G !
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
hahahahha...finally a coffin!! you forgot middle age. another corvette goes in between the m and the town car.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyg
Well folks, since acquiring my G back in Feb of 2008 I really have not driven it that much. Only 7600 on the odo year to date and I am having second thoughts about the car. It's got great power, luxury,style and looks but after spending about 3+ hours in it today, it is not a comfortable ride!
Let me paint a picture regarding the time spent in the car today.

I live in Northern VA and I had two interviews for management positions, one in Arlington and another in Oxon Hill MD. I know, I know....the commute but I don't mind driving and in years past I was a state rep for a leading dental company and put a ton of miles on a car. Anyway, from my house it is about 18 miles one way to the first and 28 miles to the second, all together about a tad under 100 miles today. I was kinda looking forward to the time spent in the G today. The appointment times were around peak traffic so I thought things were good.
After spending all day in the car and on the way home on GW parkway, with a new Cayman playing tag with me it dawned on me that I cant seem to get comfortable in the seats and the 19"s are trying to shake a kidney loose and I have to be hyper vigilant because of the 19's too so as not to end up at infiniti to buy a rim and tire. Also, an indicator went off for tire maintenance?!
What the hell is tire maintenance? I just cleared it assuming it must mean tire rotation for the non sport package. Anyway, I just don't think the car , for me is right for what i will assume is a longer commute in the DC area when the management position comes through. Better pay, development and environment so I will definitely take one of the two offered but the commute is going to kill me. Disappointing too since I never had these issues with my BMW. Perhaps I need to drive it more to get used to it but I dread making this upcoming commute for one of these jobs. Sorry to rant but needed to get that out. I am thinking a hot hatch like a GTI. Chip that thing and it's a beast and comfortable on long trips. Oh well, we shalll see.

Well I got a GTI. I got the 18" sport wheels and stock it is about as rough as the G stock. Of course, I lowered it on Sport Springs, chipped it with Revo, and it is a blast to drive....about as fast as the G. So if you go the GTI route, get the 17 wheels if you want comfortable commute in this area.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking the unthinkable-dsc03367_1280_800.jpg  
Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
SirFer

I came from a Nissan Xterra and a Hummer H2. I must say the G is far more comfortable than either of them. I've driven from North Carolina to FL at least three times in all 3 cars and the G is the only one that didn't leave me spending a 12 hour drive constantly searching for a way to get comfortable. That said, to each his own, and if you're not comfortable in the G I wouldn't keep settling for discomfort because that'll get real old real fast. I've got several friends with GTI's that are modded and some not and they're all quite nice so you can't go wrong with one of those.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the Sport Seats are not comfortable for you, check out my thread on a modification I came up with for them:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...rt+seat+Nick-L

Bottom line, the seats are designed for the average 5'4" 130 lb Japanese person, not the average 5'11" 185 lb American. If it's the thigh bolsters that are too confining for you, try the modification I did. It's now been about 9000 miles since I had an upholstery shop do the modification (they've done similar ones on many Porsche sport seats), and it has been a world of difference, a complete day and night change from what used to be (for me) an uncomfortable seat to total comfort. In stock form I couldn't take more than a couple of hours in the car. Now I've gone on several 12+ hour drives in complete comfort. After 9000 miles, there is no sign of any wear or collapsing of the foam, removing the steel inserts simply turns the bottom of the Sport Seat into the regular Journey seat - which my bottom feels is more comfortable. Yours might too.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
johnnyg

LOL. You guys are funny and yes I guess i did just get old. Never thought at 39 I would be thinking that way but I've been spoiled with a relatively short ( 11 miles) commute and with this new position and responsibility ( damn) it doubles the distance so i should get used to it right? I have it good and i am complaining about driving my G37 to work! WTF? Thanks for the reality check folks. I will just grab the wifes Volvo SUV when my **** needs a break. Ha ha

Regarding the seats that might be something. I'm not quite 6'2 and 190 and now that I think of it the uncomfortable part after a period of time is from the thigh bolsters. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by johnnyg; 10-15-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by Nick-L
If the Sport Seats are not comfortable for you, check out my thread on a modification I came up with for them:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...rt+seat+Nick-L

Bottom line, the seats are designed for the average 5'4" 130 lb Japanese person, not the average 5'11" 185 lb American. If it's the thigh bolsters that are too confining for you, try the modification I did. It's now been about 9000 miles since I had an upholstery shop do the modification (they've done similar ones on many Porsche sport seats), and it has been a world of difference, a complete day and night change from what used to be (for me) an uncomfortable seat to total comfort. In stock form I couldn't take more than a couple of hours in the car. Now I've gone on several 12+ hour drives in complete comfort. After 9000 miles, there is no sign of any wear or collapsing of the foam, removing the steel inserts simply turns the bottom of the Sport Seat into the regular Journey seat - which my bottom feels is more comfortable. Yours might too.
Thanks Nick,
Back in Dec. when this was a fairly active topic, I took your experience and ran w/it.
I had the seat modded pretty much exactly as you described. As soon as I was off the lot it was a mile down the street to keep an appointment w/an auto/boat upholsterer I trusted.
/Don't know that I would have actually hated the driver's sport seat as delivered but after reading a variety of posts here re the issue decided it would be worth it to get it done out of the gate before heading the 300 miles home.
//Zero complaints
///Anyone who is having the problem would benefit from checking the info in link and a quick search.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

I also live in Northern VA and commute 60 miles round trip. The G is my daily driver and driving it is the only thing that mkes my commute somewhat tolerable. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
jnguyen

at least yall got all those fancy sport seats or whatever. all i got is the journey seat but its comftable but all it does is lean back and up it doesnt even have the thigh bolster thingy or anything special lol
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lumbar bothers me more than the thigh bolsters. It seems like the lumbar support (and the bladder that inflates) is too high up my back. Oh, and the headrest forces me to ride gangsta (leaning way back) in order to actually use it.

Quick Reply: Thinking the unthinkable