G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buyers Remorse anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I am little bit late to the party, but here's my two cents. Most of the complaints center around the G37 not being the car they wanted. They want more power or less weight or more this and less that. Well, the G37 is exactly what it is. If this is not what you want, or not a good platform to build what you want, then you will be dissapointed if you buy it.

For me, the G37 is exactly what I want. My dissapointment (yes, remorse) comes from how poorly Infiniti tests the components in their cars and how poorly Infiniti USA and it's best dealers conduct their business. The rear axle supplier did not use the correct or appropriate amount of grease. The muffler supplier cheapened out on the number of interior welds. The Infiniti engineers had not fully tested the VVEL software before releasing the engines. The list goes on a little longer.

Most will say, so, no big deal. Bring the car back to the dealer and they'll take care of it. My dealer is an Infiniti "Premier Dealer", rated by customers as one of Infinit's best dealers. When you make an appointment to have one of the TSB's taken care of, they can't tell you if the parts are in stock and won't hold the parts if they have them. You bring the car in and take your chances your trip hasn't been for nothing. And, with the gas price increase, the "free" loaner now costs $15 to cover the gas. I'd rather fill up with the gas I used than pay $15 for two gallons of gas.

My "Premier Dealer" was unable to spot a problem with my sunroof a few weeks ago. After being told there is nothing wrong, and being made to feel like I insulted them by asking them to fix a problem, now it's broken. So, it's off to a dealer who is farther away to see if they can fix it. If it is simple, I can wait. Otherwise, I will have to go the loaner route and take off work early to get the loaner returned.

My remorse is that this car, which I really otherwise like, is more trouble to own than my previous German cars. The German dealers treated me better and took better care of my cars. (In owning cars for 40 years, this is the first time I got the dreaded "unable to duplicate customer complaint" and poor customer treatment. I even gave a bad review of my service visit and haven't received a telephone call from anyone.) I bought the Infiniti because I wanted less hassle than from owning a German car. Ironic that I get more hassle and less customer service from Infiniti than from German makes. The G37 was my first choice, but I really thought I'd be bringing it to the dealer less often than I brought German cars and I wouldn't be treated much worse than the German dealers. The ownership experience has been a real dissapointment. Well, that's my two cents.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Idaho siirto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
I bought the Infiniti because I wanted less hassle than from owning a German car. Ironic that I get more hassle and less customer service from Infiniti than from German makes. The G37 was my first choice, but I really thought I'd be bringing it to the dealer less often than I brought German cars and I wouldn't be treated much worse than the German dealers. The ownership experience has been a real dissapointment. Well, that's my two cents.
Sounds like a POS Service Dept. (& by reflection; a POS dealership).
Do you have choices, another dealership w/in reasonable driving distance?
The Service Dept. I use is not the dealership I bought from (doesn't matter anyway) but they are great. As in:
/I don't have to replicate TSB to get taken care of (the muffler, so far)
//Had the leather seat issue as well and a phone call and a cut/paste email re problem-they placed an order and had my appointment set same day.
///No charge for loaner or gas.

Regardless, Infiniti should hold service dept.s to a standard level of customer service, and they need to hear about/address your valid complaints.
GL
Old 10-19-2008, 03:48 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Every time I see a car that costs no more than mine but is at least as fast as mine, I feel a bit of frustration--but never do I regret my decision, all-around this car is the best I've driven and it's rare to have that experience (as in the faster than my car thing). Everyone that has challenged me has also lost to me
Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM
js3350z

My only regrets come when I am not driving the G (when I'm driving it there is no regrets at all)

I regret not getting a new pick-up sometimes, but I kept my old diesel truck so I couldn't justify buying another diesel while this one still works...

the only thing I wish on a daily basis was that I bought an srt8 jeep, but at the time when gas was near $4 I couldn't justify that either...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
GG_37

I upgrade from a beater car, I have no regrets at all =)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
PearlG37

Originally Posted by ninous26
Yeah i'm that type of guy.. I'm 19.

I love stock luxury/performance cars but I always want that little performance edge.. It just comes out of nowhere.

I'm pretty much down to 335i coupe and this car..

I love japanese cars, not as complicated as the germans and IMO way more reliable.

I've been reading some more and I like the 7AT idea.

Keep posting guys.

Thanks for your honest thoughts.
First of all, your 19, and discussing getting a $40k+ car, so I doubt your the one "buying" the car. Any remorse you feel will sound more like your just being spoiled....

Like most people here, I also made the decision to go with the G37S over the 335i coupe. I drove both cars 3-4 times before I made my decision, and did a lot of research. In the end I made it simple.... If you want a faster car (and like it or not, it is faster) and the status symbol, get the BMW. If you want more technology, a nicer interior, and a better all around package for the money, get the G37.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM
lawdog6153

i settled for the g37 ok power nice handling but just that just nothing special. was looking at the gt-r but way overpriced.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by PearlG37
First of all, your 19, and discussing getting a $40k+ car, so I doubt your the one "buying" the car. Any remorse you feel will sound more like your just being spoiled....

Like most people here, I also made the decision to go with the G37S over the 335i coupe. I drove both cars 3-4 times before I made my decision, and did a lot of research. In the end I made it simple.... If you want a faster car (and like it or not, it is faster) and the status symbol, get the BMW. If you want more technology, a nicer interior, and a better all around package for the money, get the G37.
dont hate on the young ones, there are lots of us here that are well off because of our hard work. not to say that the 40+ should be envious, but thats life.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
js3350z

it is easy to buy a g37 when your 18 (I'm one of them 18 y/o buying my own car), working 40 hour weeks and the G is the only real big thing you have to pay for...
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

I <3 my G! I've always loved the G35 coupe and when my friend bought it before I did I got so pissed because I didn't want to get the same car... but I'm glad I waited for the G37! Even though his car looks awesome slammed on coils with volk wheels, I still feel like my stock G is better!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Brush

Originally Posted by lawdog6153
i settled for the g37 ok power nice handling but just that just nothing special. was looking at the gt-r but way overpriced.

lool kinda bit of a difference....
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
thegad

Originally Posted by Brush
lool kinda bit of a difference....
It's not outside of the realm of reality. I was actually going to save another 2-3 years and pick up a GT-R if they were going to stay at the $70k price-point. After seeing how much over sticker they were going for though I said screw it, I'll just buy the G now, and when I get bored with its level of performance go with a forced induction setup.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
For me, the G37 is exactly what I want. My dissapointment (yes, remorse) comes from how poorly Infiniti tests the components in their cars and how poorly Infiniti USA and it's best dealers conduct their business. The rear axle supplier did not use the correct or appropriate amount of grease. The muffler supplier cheapened out on the number of interior welds. The Infiniti engineers had not fully tested the VVEL software before releasing the engines. The list goes on a little longer.
Don't blame Infiniti, blame the idiots that rate the dealer so highly. I've never had to pay for a loaner, I can be told about part stock levels, and my dealer comes to my home / office and will pick up my car and drop off a loaner and to the same when the come to drop my car off and pick up the loaner.

My experience with German cars has been really bad. My previous car, a BMW 3 Series, had an "issue" with the rear subframe detaching from the body of the car. It seems that the twisting force from the rear axle over time weakened the mouting points and caused the welds to crack. Now BMW knows about this but they will frist deny there's a problem, then they will blame you. After enough complaining to BMW North America they will agree to fix the problem so long as you promise never to discuss it. You can search around for "3 Series rear subframe failure" and you'll see what I mean. In general my experience with BMW dealers was pretty bad. I got the impression that I should feel like it's a privilege to be over paying for simple repairs. Now BMW has a "free maintance" thing for the first 3 or 4 years of ownership but that still not enough to make me go back to them.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by PearlG37

No hating on the younger ones. Life happens that way. It's all good. It's a simple question. Good point though about the G and Bimmer comparisons. The G can't be beat for bang-for-your-buck value. Bimmer is faster but thats it, just like you said!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
tbone8801

no remorse here! I love when someone tells me, nice ride! I get compliments all the time on my G! and performance, its still there after about a year. I just drive my 98 jeep for a couple days then go back to my G, its new all over again! ha. I do wish for the 7AT on the 09 and maybe the scratch proof paint! guess thats why you never buy the first year model.